[MOD][NEW RELEASE] Sonata 7a TC

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
thashepherd

Re: [MOD][WIP] Sonata

Postby thashepherd » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:53 am

Kieve wrote:...Since I already came down on Shark for "stealing" OC stuff, I just want to go on record for clarity and say it's an older animation I later replaced, thus "obsolete" and I don't mind it being used.

And I must admit, I rather like the start screen, it's very clean.

Edited my post above - I'm definitely on your page when it comes to attribution for work! I actually delayed releasing this mod because I had used diverseMod as a starting point/tutorial, and I needed to make sure that ALL of the content from it was gone.

Probably a good point to mention that anyone can feel free to use any of my work/code/images, as long as:
1. You let me know somehow that you're using it, and
2. You give me credit somewhere in your mod

The only exception thus far would be the main menu graphic, which was produced by a friend of mine for this mod exclusively.

Grognak wrote:This looks and sounds great, though it was a bit of a pain to make it .ftl (simply renaming it doesn't work because all of your stuff is nested inside a folder in the archive.) And once I did patch it in, when I clicked on new game my game seemed to crash (perhaps it is something on my end?).

Added a direct link to the .ftl file in the first post, above. The issue before seems to be that git changed the newline characters in all of the xml/text files (?!). Thank you so much for letting me know!
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:19 am

Just added the Sower terraformer (Rock ship 1):

The Sower are a race of intelligent terraforming robots created by an ancient, extinct race called the Endless. Many of their ships are thousands of years old; their hulls are made from incredibly strong, advanced materials that have since been lost to time. These weren't built as warships; the weapons were added later and as necessary, as afterthoughts.

This particular vessel lacks a medical bay, as it is designed for robots. It does, however, start off immensely hard to kill. It is armed with a powerful, burst-firing autocannon.
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:06 pm

Added new United Empire ship:

and a pirate version:

These replace rebel_long and represent United Empire gunships, or perhaps corvettes. They re-use the original layout.

EDIT: New ships committed. As always, minor tweaks/image touchups/etc included. Updated the UE shield graphic a bit. Enemy shields will be tough to edit, since FTL uses one image for all of them. FTL file upload updated as well (I included the readme in the .ftl file this time)

EDIT: Fixed weapon mount points for the new player ships

BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:28 pm

I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:01 am

BrenTenkage wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxCmYDza4D8&feature=youtu.be here ya go, the lets play

Good stuff! I'm watching it right now - good for bug testing. (My mod has nothing to do with the game's music - not sure what happened there)

Cloak wasn't supposed to be enabled for the UES Ranger or UES Long Island - musta released a testing version. I'm glad you liked the ship designs, though!

Yes, all lasers are beams now :) I didn't realize that would be confusing - any ideas on how to make it less so? (I laughed when you ran into a shield-piercing laser, btw. HAH! Speaking of laughs - there IS an Indiana Jones side plot hidden somewhere in this mod)

Feedback on the weapon descriptions being hard to read is good. I'm going to mod the message box to be larger and take a look at the font. Good tip on the medbay and some of the other interior room graphics (I haven't touched them).

You might have noticed that the weapons are a bit more powerful - the enemy's are too. I AM worried about them being OP - but I like the idea of more lethal space combat. Weapon prices definitely need adjustment upwards. Many weapons have some degree of shield piercing - Gauss weapons typically pierce 1, and cannon are usually good for 2. You're gonna want max shields SOON.

It doesn't seem like you ran into too many of my reworked events - the number is going to increase as I do more work on this mod, of course, but I'm hoping for them to eventually be the main draw. There are plans here. Better events than the graphics, since I'm a pretty shit artist.

BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:24 am

Well it is more or less a first time play, I basically gave the reactions some people who first started might want.

I don't have a problem with the weapon strength, no I enjoyed it to the end. Just gave opions and thoughts. If you put out a new update or want me to try another ship for another lets play, lets me know, I'm willing to do so (could always use more view LOL)
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:14 am

Oh, wow - saw that issue with the drone control on the UES Long Island. That ship is actually not supposed to be able to carry drones - I messed up the blueprint and just gave it 0 power instead. Will fix and upload forthwith. Good tip on the Boson Gauss Gun needing to pierce a shield.

Looks like I need to beef up the boss a bit, huh?

I've taken the opportunity to rework weapon rarity/availability and prices. One thing I noticed from watching the video is that UE/Pilgrim (Rebel/Federation), Sower (Rock), and Sophon (Zoltan) ships are way more powerful than, say, Slugs, because they can spawn with the racial weaponry.

Refresher: Humans use gauss guns/drivers, Sophons use lasers and pulse lasers, and the Sower use cannon and autocannon. Although it didn't come up in-game, there are also "generic" lasers, sluggers (guns), and missiles which are shared across all races. Again, the vast majority of lasers are now beams. Kinetic weapons act like vanilla FTL lasers (more realistic).

The next race I convert will almost certainly be the Hissho (replacing the Mantis); IIRC, our lore has them using mainly plasma weaponry. I'm guessing that they'll have 3 kinetic weapons (plasma), 3 missiles (perhaps burst rockets), and 2 beams (some form of "disruptor").

I'm actually running into a lore problem now. Endless Space races don't necessarily map neatly to the FTL races; I used the Rocks for Sowers, a race of robots, because the ability worked - but none of the ES races (except maybe Automatons) make sense for the Engi. My solution is to reduce the role of the Engi in game - they will become the Automatons, which are being conquered to the point of extinction by the Hisshio.

Slugs will become Amoeba, but our lore isn't well-defined for them yet.

My school quarter just started back up and it's a busy one, so work will be slow(er). I will try to upload a new version of the .ftl file later this week, since the current one is missing several small tweaks/fixes.

BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:30 am

hmm I see I see...so let me see if I got this, the Engi are now slaves, if we go into their controlled esctors, we rename them to their Enslaved Sectors, we find the home world, we call it a Hidden Home world, except you were followed

Hows that for an idea
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:31 am

BTW Noticed my vid aint on the front forum post as the game play video
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:33 am

BrenTenkage wrote:hmm I see I see...so let me see if I got this, the Engi are now slaves, if we go into their controlled esctors, we rename them to their Enslaved Sectors, we find the home world, we call it a Hidden Home world, except you were followed

Hows that for an idea

Going to change the name to "Automatons" just for completion's sake (you can look them up in ES lore - basically space robot indians). But yeah, that's going to be the idea - a little "side war" going on behind the scenes. The Hissho are doing it for fun.

BrenTenkage wrote:BTW Noticed my vid aint on the front forum post as the game play video

Ok, I'll fix that.

Did some research - I can't actually make the weapon description window larger, the dimensions are hard-coded. I'm going to experiment with making it easier to read by replacing that bottom bar or something.