Better item info

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
MantisManMike

Better item info

Postby MantisManMike » Thu May 20, 2021 5:15 pm

This is an old version. See Better info + smaller tooltips for current versions.

Download: Better item info 1.1

This mod adds better item, system, and crew info, such as sale prices and exact status effect numbers. It is only compatible with vanilla gameplay, since the descriptions are hard-coded.

Version 1.1 fixes the issue with weapons tooltips, and adds more detailed info wherever I could sensibly squeeze it in. For example, crew now show hidden traits, and some systems show more information such as base shield recharge speed.

On the left, vanilla description. On the right, with the mod:

Note that breach chances are the actual chance of a breach, not the stated chance in the game files. Fire chance effectively reduces breach chance, because they are exclusive and fire rolls first.

If you notice anything incorrect, please let me know!
Last edited by MantisManMike on Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bamalf

Re: Better item info

Postby bamalf » Thu May 20, 2021 5:33 pm

Hyperspace does it automatically now. Wasn't it a waste of work?
Image Image Image
MantisManMike

Postby MantisManMike » Thu May 20, 2021 5:35 pm

bamalf wrote:Hyperspace does it automatically now. Wasn't it a waste of work?

No, as I have no intention of installing Hyperspace -- and neither do some other players. Didn't take long either.

In addition, doing it this way allows me to customise the text to be exactly what I want.
AdmiralBilly

Postby AdmiralBilly » Sat May 22, 2021 12:25 am

I will post a small preview of Hyperspace's tooltips if you want some inspiration or something for some in the future (since they're not on by default, and I'm not sure if most people know they exist outside of Multiverse).

You actually kinda did what I set out to do myself (but in general instead of hardcoded)!

Image Image Image Image Image

If you have any other ideas regarding useful tooltip information, let me know and I can actually add them myself to Hyperspace for everyone to enjoy!
MantisManMike

Postby MantisManMike » Mon May 24, 2021 11:06 am

Oh those are great, thanks for posting examples!

Really cool to see you doing the same thing here. I love making these small, quality of life improvements.
MantisManMike

Postby MantisManMike » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:20 am

Thanks, glad you like it!

For now at least, I'm and sticking with the terse descriptions, as I find them easier to scan. I don't think I can add more lines for weapons / drones larger -- the text just drops off the bottom. Larger boxes are a Hyperspace thing I believe.

Of course, anyone is welcome to take this and make their own version, according to taste. :)

The changes in 1.1 are more things like system info.