FTL:Crazy - A Randomiser for FTL:Faster Than Light

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Jumbocarrot0

FTL:Crazy - A Randomiser for FTL:Faster Than Light

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:25 am

Not to be confused with FTL:Craze

Acknowledgements
  • Thanks to Gencool, for his Sensory Deprivation mod that gave me the idea in the first place.
  • Thanks to Kix, for lending me some of his Federation and Slug player ship hulls.
  • The black kestrel reskin (can be seen in the above GIF) is a touched up and recoloured version of a custom kestrel I got from someone on the forums, who for the life of me I can't remember their name. Who originally made it, I don't remember, all I know is that the original images have since disappeared.

Download here
This tool requires python 3 to run, which you can download here.

What is this?

FTL: Crazy is a randomising tool for FTL:Faster than Light, inspired mainly by the layout randomiser in Gencool's Sensory Deprivation mod.
This is not a conventional FTL mod, but it is instead a tool that creates a randomised mod that changes a bunch of values in the game. This mainly focuses on changing the overhaul 'meta' of FTL, randomly changing the effectiveness of various items, but can also just be used to see what happens what when you turn balanced off and get a 3-damage mini beam. And it tries to randomise as much of FTL as it can be.

Major Features
  • Basic Player ship randomisation, complete with new hull art and layouts. (For actually balanced player ship randomisation, there's KBA3u's and Rannl's randomisers)
  • Random Flagship layout, systems and artilleries.
  • Randomising as much of weapons, drones and augments as I can. (Cooldown, power, effectiveness, etc.)
  • Randomises event appearances and item rarities in sectors.
  • Various Customisations, including balance, mod compatibility with big overhaul mods and 'extra packs,' which just randomly adds a pre-made mod pack, right now mainly adding new weapons for variety.

Troubleshooting

If the program is opening a window then immediately closing, try the following:
  1. Make sure you're opening the file called FTLCrazy.py, not Randomiser.py
  2. Make sure you've installed the latest version of Python.
  3. If it still doesn't work, try running the program from the Python IDLE by searching up 'Python IDLE.' On the IDLE, you can go File --> Open, go to the FTLCrazy.py file, and then go Run --> Run Module. If it won't fix your issue, it'll at least keep the Python console open so you can get a detailed error message.
  4. If it still doesn't work, it's probably a bug. It'd be best if you can report this to me so I can fix it.

Idk how good this actually is, but it's something I've been working on so I might as well release it.
Have fun with it!
Last edited by Jumbocarrot0 on Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bamalf

Re: FTL:Crazy - A Randomiser for FTL:Faster Than Light

Postby bamalf » Sat May 23, 2020 12:34 pm

It looks pretty crazy :D It's always nice to see new tools for FTL, thanks for this one!
Image Image Image
maymoToTheBone

Postby maymoToTheBone » Sun May 24, 2020 5:23 am

Great tool! I just did a run where fuel cost over 100 scrap, but my ship had a halberd that took 5 seconds to charge and did 4 damage per room lol

Coincidentally, I recently started making an alien race randomizer in python, but I'm having trouble with generating the file structure. If it's alright with you, could I use some of the code from your tool to get the basics of mine working? I would credit you of course. If you're not comfortable with me using your code, then I understand, no pressure.
Jumbocarrot0

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Sun May 24, 2020 8:27 am

maymoToTheBone wrote:Great tool! I just did a run where fuel cost over 100 scrap, but my ship had a halberd that took 5 seconds to charge and did 4 damage per room lol

Oh wow, lol. Reminds me of a time I got a burst laser 2 with 4 damage and 3 cooldown. That run went well until I ran in a mini beam with the same stats.

maymoToTheBone wrote:Coincidentally, I recently started making an alien race randomizer in python, but I'm having trouble with generating the file structure. If it's alright with you, could I use some of the code from your tool to get the basics of mine working? I would credit you of course. If you're not comfortable with me using your code, then I understand, no pressure.

I'm find with you using my code, go ahead.
maymoToTheBone

Postby maymoToTheBone » Sun May 24, 2020 10:27 pm

Jumbocarrot0 wrote:I'm find with you using my code, go ahead.

Awesome, thanks!
e2e3kaka

Postby e2e3kaka » Mon May 25, 2020 11:55 am

It’s crazy
Jumbocarrot0

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:04 am

New Update!

The update is mostly back-end improvements, mostly a significant overhaul of how data is stored for randomization (for custom ships, the final boss, bascially anything in the source folder.) This was done to make customization more intuitive, using XML data rather than cryptic data stored in .txt files.

In terms of noticeable changes, you can see a full list on GitHub, but for a brief overview:
  • Added hyperspace compatibility. Using hyperspace will change the free drones that come with a drone system, and adds discord integration with the custom ship hulls (more to come).
  • Full support for SMPK random ships, partial support for CE and Arsenal+ (Its only Augments for them so far)
  • New options to turn off random weapon damage and equipment power for unbalanced mode, because they can be a bit much.
  • Various bug fixes