[MOD] Extended Ion [v1]

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Zaffre

[MOD] Extended Ion [v1]

Postby Zaffre » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:57 pm

Hi. I decided to do some modding, because I didn't see much of a reason to update Blazing Cruiser. I came up with an idea: if all the other weapon arsenals are so extensive, why not extend the ion weapons? I present to you: Extended Ion. Obviously, it will have to be limited somewhat (shield piercing ion missiles disable the shields too!) but hopefully this will make more ion weapons.

They are available in stores and from drops. An ion drone and ion laser are now on the Torus (the attack drone remains to do damage however) for testing. Right now the drone and laser are the only weapons, but any updates to the mod will add more. There will also be custom art in the future.

You can find screenshots and a download link on the Xenolith page.
Whale Cancer

Re: [MOD] Extended Ion [v1]

Postby Whale Cancer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:00 pm

Zaffre wrote:Hi. I decided to do some modding, because I didn't see much of a reason to update Blazing Cruiser. I came up with an idea: if all the other weapon arsenals are so extensive, why not extend the ion weapons? I present to you: Extended Ion. Obviously, it will have to be limited somewhat (shield piercing ion missiles disable the shields too!) but hopefully this will make more ion weapons.

They are available in stores and from drops. An ion drone and ion laser are now on the Torus (the attack drone remains to do damage however) for testing. Right now the drone and laser are the only weapons, but any updates to the mod will add more. There will also be custom art in the future.

You can find screenshots and a download link on the Xenolith page.

I wrote an Ion Beam, but it continually felt unbalanced. Let me know if you come up with a good implementation of such a weapon.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Zebo12345

Postby Zebo12345 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:13 am

If you make a type of mini-beam that does Ion damage, it would disable one layer of shields( The beam would last long enough for two ion damage, like when you use a halberd beam on a zoltan shield, but with 1 ion damage instead of two normal damage). I think that would be balanced if it had about an 8 second recharge rate, like Ion blase Mk. 1. If it had an energy cost of two or three, it would still be worth it. I really like the ion drone idea. I feel like getting two of those would be devastating. Perhaps you could implement a kind of basic laser that does one ion damage and one normal damage? That would be a neat weapon.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:14 pm

Zebo12345 wrote:Perhaps you could implement a kind of basic laser that does one ion damage and one normal damage? That would be a neat weapon.
That last is the "Soul Shot" from the Weaponanza mod.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.