YoukCat

[Ship] The Elwinoid

Postby YoukCat » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:47 pm

The Elwinoid

Lore

"Alright, AI, do you understand what you are to do?"

> Test weapons of destruction.

"Uh, I would rather you not call them that."

> Test weapons that are excellent at killing.

"Not around the Zoltans! You know how tree-huggy they are."

"we're right here"

"Sorry! Anyway, Elwinoid, you are t-"

"why did you just put your name in and add three letters?"

"Humans need to know their life isn't just a huge waste of time and space. Anyway, Elwinoid, you are to test out these ion weapons. Come back with results when you are done: I want to know how well they work!"

And so, the Elwinoid ship set out, having been programmed to go kill some Rebel ships. One of the ships had important data, which the Elwinoid ship collected. Immediately, it found information much more important than its testing: It had to warn the main fleets.

About

The Elwinoid is an AI Ship for Kestrel B. It is meant to be slightly adaptable, with its weapons good at accommodating new ones (ion damage synergizes well with most anything) and is one of the few AI Ships that can contain crew without extra modifications. Due to the no reliable method to gain crew and no starting crew, however, Lanius are absolute terrors against the Elwinoid.

The Elwinoid does have a method to fight against Lanius, but it isn't great: The Elwinoid has one Anti-Personal Drone. Other items in its drone control include a System Repair and an Elwin Laser Drone, which is effective at shooting ion lasers at the enemy.

The Elwinoid's weaponry isn't impressive, but still effective. It has an Elwin Laser, a laser which does both damage and ion damage at the same time.

The Elwinoid, in tighter situations, can activate an emergency battery to gain power.

For other systems, it is much the same as other ships.

The Elwinoid prefers a more combative playstyle, being able to take out enemy shields with ease.

Pros and Cons

• The Elwinoid is an AI, it can keep going without any crew and can slowly heal itself. Along with that, it automatically mans every system at lowest level.
  • The Elwin Weaponry are able to easily dispatch shields.
  • The Spare Battery can grant extra power in hard moments.
  • The Elwinoid's Weaponry synergizes well with other weapons, due to being effective at downing shields..

• The Elwinoid has no methods of getting crew given to it.
  • The Elwinoid has no real way of fixing breaches other than the System Repair, requiring crew if the System Repair is out of the picture.
  • The Elwinoid's internal defenses can't hold up very effectively to boarders that do not need air, such as Lanius, due to only having lack of air and an Anti-Personal Drone on its side.
  • The Elwinoid's lack of crew can make events harder due to less blue choices and having to be careful about not getting crew killed when you don't have any crew.

Downloads

AI SHIP CORE (v.1.13)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/17vp8m8l9prvoat/AI+Ship+Core+V1.13.ftl
This mod is required for several features of the Elwinoid to work, such as its weaponry.

ELWINOID
http://www.mediafire.com/file/l7ftvn34xyimfyx/AI+Ship+Elwinoid.ftl
This is the Elwinoid ship.

ANTI-CRASH HELP
https://subsetgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29082
Not made by me and not required, but can be quite helpful.

Thank you!

Thank you to the kind modders at the FTL Discord who helped me make this ship. I am going to take these lessons and run with them to create, hopefully, AI Ship Versions for every ship in the game.
YoukCat

Re: [Ship] The Elwinoid

Postby YoukCat » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:04 pm

Hey, anyone who has played this, can you go ahead and check if it is well-balanced?
It feels a little weak, but I don't entirely trust myself to determine whether it should be buffed or left as is.