Bert's Diving Mod v. 0.1

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
BertTF2

Bert's Diving Mod v. 0.1

Postby BertTF2 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:12 am

Hello! Thanks for checking out my mod. This mod changes up the gameplay greatly. The first sector is completely changed, with all new events. After the first sector, every sector is taken over by Rebels. You must make it through all of these Rebel controlled sectors and destroy the Rebel command ship. More details on lore are given in-game.

This mod was inspired by a run that I had in vanilla, here's a Reddit post about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/ftlgame/comments/7vyuno/why_you_never_give_up_on_an_ftl_run_that_looks/

This mod is a work in progress, and any issues that you find that are not listed below should be commented so I can fix them :)

Known issues:
  • End beacons are empty, with no ship fight at the end of a Rebel controlled sector
  • Rebel controlled sectors do not appear taken over by the fleet. This is intentional, and as far as I know, cannot be fixed due to limitations in how fleet pursuit is programmed.
  • In sector one, jumping to an already explored beacon will not give you your fuel back, this cannot be fixed due to how events work.

Feel free to suggest events and flavor text for empty beacons in sector one! Also, I think this mod needs a better name, so if you can think of one, please suggest it!

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2b6ss7yfc8owld/bertsdivingmod_v0.1.ftl?dl=0
Forewarning, the mod is very unbalanced at the moment. Play ar your own risk! :?
Last edited by BertTF2 on Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jumbocarrot0

Re: Bert's Diving Mod v. 0.1

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:30 am

Interesting idea for a mod. Here’s my two cents:
BertTF2 wrote:Rebel controlled sectors do not appear taken over by the fleet. This is intentional, and as far as I know, cannot be fixed due to limitations in how fleet pursuit is programmed.

There are a few ways to fix this.
  1. Change the graphics of the fleet persuit indicator to cover the entire map.
  2. On the first beacon double the fleet pursuit a bunch so after the first jump the rebel fleet has taken over the entire sector.
BertTF2 wrote:Feel free to suggest events and flavor text for empty beacons in sector one! Also, I think this mod needs a better name, so if you can think of one, please suggest it!

Yes, the name can use work, I’ll edit this post if I come up with anything.
Also I was thinking, to diverse gameplay, instead of making every single sector just a rebel-controlled sector perhaps some sectors could be ‘Rebel controlled Engi Sector’ or ‘Rebel controlled Rock Sector’, etc. where some events could be the rebels suppressing the civilians or the civilians fighting back against the rebels.
BertTF2

Re: Bert's Diving Mod v. 0.1

Postby BertTF2 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:41 pm

Jumbocarrot0 wrote:Interesting idea for a mod. Here’s my two cents:
BertTF2 wrote:Rebel controlled sectors do not appear taken over by the fleet. This is intentional, and as far as I know, cannot be fixed due to limitations in how fleet pursuit is programmed.

There are a few ways to fix this.
  1. Change the graphics of the fleet persuit indicator to cover the entire map.
  2. On the first beacon double the fleet pursuit a bunch so after the first jump the rebel fleet has taken over the entire sector.

I did try doubling the pursuit a bunch, however it does not work due to the fact that you can only double (or triple?) the fleet pursuit for x amount of jumps. I don't want to change the pursuit indicator because that will also affect sector one, but maybe I'll try it
Jumbocarrot0 wrote:Also I was thinking, to diverse gameplay, instead of making every single sector just a rebel-controlled sector perhaps some sectors could be ‘Rebel controlled Engi Sector’ or ‘Rebel controlled Rock Sector’, etc. where some events could be the rebels suppressing the civilians or the civilians fighting back against the rebels.

This is a good idea, I assume you mean that I would just change the flavor text. I'll work on it when I have time.

Thanks for your ideas! :D