[Challenge Ship] Hashbrown Challenge

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Lord_Tourettes

[Challenge Ship] Hashbrown Challenge

Postby Lord_Tourettes » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:34 am

So I've designed and just barely beat after testing on a ship and a meme, I could only beat it on easy but I CHALLENGE anyone to try this ship on hard advanced edition. THe biggest challenge in this ship is surviving sector 1 and getting scrap.

Please intsall via SLipstream mod manager: http://www.mediafire.com/file/6gdfk6p8q ... Hbrown.ftl

And please tell me what you think :D
stylesrj

Re: [Challenge Ship] Hashbrown Challenge

Postby stylesrj » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:28 am

Can we get more than just a download link?
Pictures, stats even?
What the hell is a Hashbrown Challenge for those who don't know?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:54 am

So I just did a quick run through the ship... died from a combination of an ion storm taking out the artillery, followed by ending up in a solar flare and having everything on fir,e followed by encountering a pirate with a teleporter and lots of guns at the end of Sector 1. Typical FTL nonsense in other words but it could have been avoided if the ship didn't make dealing with everything so tedious.

6 Artillery Systems? Having more than one Artillery causes problems with how many systems you can have on the ship. It also means if you hit "Restart" you lose 5 of them.
The Artillery itself cannot be powered up or powered down or upgraded manually. This means if you end up in an ion storm, those guns will never get power again.

The weak hull and lack of shields can spell an early death. But the fact that you start with 3 augments already means that you can buy a layer of shields if you can find a Store.
This doesn't help against missiles though. The weak hull makes it a liability because you have no defences against it except being insanely lucky in dodging shots.

There are no airlocks, so if your hash brown gets set on fire, you're cooked even with Rockmen. I can't stress enough how important airlocks are and how they need to have at least 2-room spacing. No one likes having to tediously wait for the air to leak out of rooms to take down small fires or boarders and the fact that the ship's layout is huge and the pilot has to make a whole circle around the ship means boarding parties are particularly dangerous and tedious to remove.

Remember, when making it a "challenge", try not to make sure that you're not challenging the player's patience with the design. It's not fun to have to spend 5 minutes doing cleanup because the enemy bombarded several systems or damaged them with intruders or because there was an uncontrollable fire.
Lord_Tourettes

Postby Lord_Tourettes » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:59 pm

Reply to stylrsrj;

Thank you for taking the challenge, and I'm glad you were able to pickup on the initial patience game and i appreciate the cooked pun. however I wanted to make the ship a bit of a surprise but the key factor in this ship is a lack of a weapons system. I designed the ship intentionally to be hard to access and annoying. but i intentionally left out the main strategy to beat the challenge, next time try to reach for drones (Combat/system repair) and/or a fire supression system. The main problem with the ship being fire control was intentional, Hence the name "Extra Crispy"

I will note all of your criticisms thoroughly and hope to improve in the future, thank you :D