[SHIP] [AE] Extra-Dimensional Battleship, The Reaper

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Northern_Warrior

[SHIP] [AE] Extra-Dimensional Battleship, The Reaper

Postby Northern_Warrior » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:57 am

Due to an unfortunate accident with a Rebel advanced cloaking prototype, a portal was opened to the void. Shortly after, a ship of massive size and energy came through...

Honestly, I quite like how this one turned out. Has custom everything pretty much. A very unique ship, as you are about to see in the pros and cons...

The pros:

- No oxygen
- Invincible systems
- Immunity to ion damage
- 50 hull
- Crew can teleport
- 4 crew
- Enough power for everything but weapons and artillery
- All systems but shields, med-bay, oxygen, hacking and drones ( Can never install them either )

- Unique artillery system ( oh boy, here we go... )
- Dimensional Energy Laser ( This weapon fires a burst of shield piercing dimensional energy lasers, disabling systems and damaging enemy crew, but doing no hull damage. )
1 ion damage, a lot of personnel damage, 5 shots, pierces all shields, medium cooldown

- Dimensional Energy Beam ( This weapon fires a beam of shield piercing dimensional energy, disabling systems, damaging and stunning enemy crew, but doing no hull damage. )
1 ion damage, personnel damage and can stun, pierces all shields, quite short and longer cooldown

- Dimensional Energy Missile ( This weapon fires a concentrated blast of shield piercing dimensional energy, dealing very high ion damage, damaging, stunning enemy crew and locking down a room. )
4 ion damage, 1 shot, hits only one room, personnel damage and 100% chance to stun, locks down a room, longest cooldown ( the only thing that has a different image, the crystals )
NOTE: Might remove lockdown.

- Dimensional Energy Bomb ( This weapon fires a bomb of shield piercing dimensional energy at very high speeds, which heals friendly crew and does minor ion damage to a room. )
1 ion damage, fully heals friendly crew, shortest cooldown

- Unique weapon system ( and, here we go again... )
- 2 Dimensional Energy Railguns ( This weapon fires a high velocity shield piercing dimensional energy laser, causing a hull breach and damaging crew, but doing no hull damage. )
Personnel damage, 100% chance to breach hull

- 2 Dimensional Warp Cannons ( This weapon fires an FTL bomb of shield piercing dimensional warp energy at very high speeds, which heals friendly crew, causes hull breaches and
does system, ion and hull damage. )
Can target only one room, 3 system, hull, ion damage, 100% chance to breach hull, heals all friendly crew in the room

The cons:

- No oxygen
- No shields, ever
- Is immune to system and ion damage, but the hull can still be damaged
- The warp cannons are the only weapons that deal hull and system damage, AI ships can be a pain
- Buying other weapons and using them looks ugly ( not really a con )
- Ghost crew only has 50 health
- Low engines means you will be getting hit a lot ( cloaking and engines should be a big priority )

This ship is designed to be a ship that primarily boards, but can still rely on its cannons for AI ships. Its crew can teleport ( move really fast with an augment game wise ) and its deadly arsenal of weapons is the deadliest possible crew killer. It does, however, unfortunately rely too much on offensive power and gets hit a lot if not careful. It might look overpowered, but I did my best to make sure it has plenty of cons, and has to rely on clever strategy as well. For example, your crew can teleport around the enemies ship, allowing them to teleport to the 'Healing Bomb' or lead enemy crew into your shots. You do start off with 4 weapons, but it will take a really long time to upgrade weapons enough to use them. In fact, everything costs more, so it's definitely not as simple as buying upgrades everywhere.

As always, load Battleship Arsenal.ftl first, then the other files in whichever order. This ship replaces the stealth ship:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m1tzgkbem7wuo ... l.rar?dl=0
NarnKar

Re: [SHIP] [AE] Extra-Dimensional Battleship, The Reaper

Postby NarnKar » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:36 am

Still looks kinda OP, but at least it's OP in an interesting way (and it's not just a boring kestrel with four glaive beams).

In my opinion, "no oxygen" can be both a pro and a con.
The biggest con, of course, is that you can't have any other crew.
But there are two very big advantages: total immunity to fire, and virtual immunity to boarding (nearly every boarder will suffer asphyxiation damage, except Lanius and boarding drones)

Ghost crew have only 50 health, but the health almost isn't a problem with the healing on all the weapons, and the clone bay to boot. I think an interesting idea would be limiting healing to only the weapons--no clonebay, no medbay, and none can be installed. Just some weird extradimensional and their weird weapons. It would make the 50hp and limited crew an interesting challenge, since you'd have very limited crew (if they die they're gone), and very limited HP on that crew, making "loss of crew" a huge "con" for this powerful ship.

You don't have to follow that suggestion, I'm just tossing the idea out here. Could be a bad idea.

Minor nitpick, the cloaking room glow isn't aligned with the cloaking room's regular image.
Northern_Warrior

Postby Northern_Warrior » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:55 am

NarnKar wrote:Still looks kinda OP, but at least it's OP in an interesting way (and it's not just a boring kestrel with four glaive beams).

In my opinion, "no oxygen" can be both a pro and a con.
The biggest con, of course, is that you can't have any other crew.
But there are two very big advantages: total immunity to fire, and virtual immunity to boarding (nearly every boarder will suffer asphyxiation damage, except Lanius and boarding drones)

Ghost crew have only 50 health, but the health almost isn't a problem with the healing on all the weapons, and the clone bay to boot. I think an interesting idea would be limiting healing to only the weapons--no clonebay, no medbay, and none can be installed. Just some weird extradimensional and their weird weapons. It would make the 50hp and limited crew an interesting challenge, since you'd have very limited crew (if they die they're gone), and very limited HP on that crew, making "loss of crew" a huge "con" for this powerful ship.

You don't have to follow that suggestion, I'm just tossing the idea out here. Could be a bad idea.

Minor nitpick, the cloaking room glow isn't aligned with the cloaking room's regular image.

Fixed the cloaking room glow, thanks.

As for the clone bay... I've been thinking about that for some time but the problem is 3 of your artillery weapons do 60 crew damage which is an instant kill on your crew, while the railguns also kill your crew although you can avoid those altogether as you're the one controlling them. Not that it's that difficult to avoid the damaging artillery and go for the healing one since your crew can teleport, but I think it might make it too annoying? It's something to consider, I guess. I was going more for the fact that you can't get shields, and your hull will always be getting damaged, and thought that if I removed the clone bay, it would result in too much micromanagement.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:38 am

Northern_Warrior wrote: I was going more for the fact that you can't get shields, and your hull will always be getting damaged, and thought that if I removed the clone bay, it would result in too much micromanagement.

Shoot, I missed the no-shields bit.

Is there a cap on engines besides the normal one?
Northern_Warrior

Postby Northern_Warrior » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:02 am

NarnKar wrote:
Northern_Warrior wrote: I was going more for the fact that you can't get shields, and your hull will always be getting damaged, and thought that if I removed the clone bay, it would result in too much micromanagement.

Shoot, I missed the no-shields bit.

Is there a cap on engines besides the normal one?

No cap on the engines , but all my ship mods contain a master file which raises upgrade costs for everything. So, both engines and cloaking are expensive.