[SHIP] MAN-TS 66

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
dyno101

[SHIP] MAN-TS 66

Postby dyno101 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:06 pm

WARNING! This is my very first mod. It is a generally small edit using simple tools and probably won't hold your interest for very long and may break some etiquette, so please forgive me for giving you this disgrace. Carry on!

MAN-TS 66

Story:

"The beam's in. Now let's go try this new toy out."
The mantis exited the cargo hold. It was a masterpiece. A stolen stealth ship in secret development by the Engi. A stolen beam developed by slug scientists to brutally kill their opponents. A teleporting system stolen from some merchants that ended up dying anyway. It was built for hand-to-hand combat, which was pure pleasure for a blood-hungry mantis. Everything was set. Now all they had to do was make it to the federation base in one piece and sell the information to the feds and roll in scrap and ships for the rest of their natural lives.
Little did they know things were much more complicated than that.

"Wait. So to repair the invisi..thing, I smash the green stuff over the motherboard?"

Description:

As I warned, it's a minor edit to the DA-SR 12 using Superluminal 2. I thought it would be interesting to make a defensive boarding ship that uses cloaking rather than shields like the Mantis B. The file only contains the .ftl and a readme describing how to run it with Slipstream. It's a very basic mod.

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bfg80jypms85 ... Is0Wa?dl=0

A simple drop-box link.

Please give me any and all feedback you would like! It is much appreciated, as advice is exactly what I need at the moment.

EDIT: This is currently a very untested and beta version. If you find a crash or a bug and have a way to fix it, tell me! Even if you have no idea how to fix it, tell me.

THANK YOU!
"There isn't good or bad. There's just insane."
"Blamsauce!"
stylesrj

Re: [SHIP] MAN-TS 66

Postby stylesrj » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:57 pm

Some of us would like pictures of the ship before we begin flying - you know so we can point out visual errors or if certain rooms work or not.

Also, FTL isn't on Android so I can't test fly the ship either as I don't have access to my computer 24/7.
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:40 pm

I am waiting for some photos, then I'll give it a try/
Has anyone ever considered a Warhammer 40,000 Mod for this game? It would be awesome!
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:35 am

On it!
"Blamsauce!"
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:44 am

Here's your photos!

http://imgur.com/a/WuvdF
"Blamsauce!"
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:55 am

So if you encounter an automated ship or several in Sector 1, you're screwed.
Like the Crystal B, except without shields.

Actually, come to think of it, the Bio-Beam doesn't even synergise well with everything else. The beam requires no shields but if you beam your crew onto the enemy ship, they're all going to Shields so you're killing off the enemies anyway. In the meantime, you're being constantly bombarded by the enemy ship because a 10-second cloak is still a 10-second cloak.

I don't know what should be used instead but the Bio Beam is not much of a boarding aid in early-game.
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:16 am

Well I just had a play and realized how hard of a ship this is, so be advised. It's very poorly balanced and hard to use. Again, sorry for this disgrace.
"Blamsauce!"
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:26 am

Some ships might have a good "in-lore" explanation as to why it has a teleporter, cloaking device, no shields and an anti-bio beam but in terms of gameplay...

Also, I really insist on the whole "give it a gun" thing because everyone knows that as soon as you fly a pure boarding ship, the RNG will only spit out Zoltan-shielded pirates (although I think the Anti-Bio Beam can destroy those shields) and automated ships.
Hell, give it a beam with dual-purpose. It does less crew damage than the bio-beam but it does hull damage or something so you could send in a bunch of Mantis to the shield room of an automated ship (Level 2 Teleport required) and slowly whittle it down that way.
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:30 am

That'd be awesome! But.. how do I load my mod back into superluminal?
"Blamsauce!"
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:47 am

Personally, I wouldn't put it back in there once you've designed the ship and layout, etc. Equipment changes can be done without the need to go back there. If you screwed up on the layout though... well that's when you should put it back there.

What you should do is look into the files itself and edit them. Throw this into blueprints.xml.append

Code: Select all

<weaponBlueprint name="BEAM_MANTISBIO">
   <type>BEAM</type>
   <tip>tip_beams</tip>
   <title>Overclocked Anti-Bio Beam</title>
   <short>OC Bio Beam</short>
   <desc>This terrifying beam does low physical damage and rips through organic material, dealing medium damage to crewmembers.</desc>
   <tooltip>2 power beam weapon that moderately damages enemy crew.</tooltip>
   <damage>1</damage>
   <persDamage>3</persDamage>
   <sp>0</sp>
   <fireChance>0</fireChance>
   <breachChance>0</breachChance>
   <cooldown>16</cooldown>
   <color>
      <r>255</r>
      <g>110</g>
      <b>0</b>
   </color>
   <speed>13</speed>
   <power>2</power>
   <cost>50</cost>
   <bp>6</bp>
   <rarity>0</rarity>
   <length>140</length>
   <image>beam_contact</image>
   <launchSounds>
      <sound>beam2</sound>
   </launchSounds>
   <weaponArt>beam_bio</weaponArt>
   <iconImage>beam</iconImage>
</weaponBlueprint>

So once you take down Shields a notch or two, you can use the beam to destroy enemy ships.
Also, be sure to find the Beam_Bio on your ship mod's weapon list and replace it with BEAM_MANTISBIO.
Then copy, paste it below that line and replace that with LASER_BURST_1
That's a basic defence laser. Fires only one shot but it can work with the beam I suppose. Sort of like a Nesasio but with boarding capabilities and one less shot.