[SHIP][v 1.2] The Leone (Type B added)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Jimli_

Re: [SHIP][v 1.2] The Leone (Type B added)

Postby Jimli_ » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:28 pm

Just the way I designed it to help fit with the insufficient medical supplies theme. Not ice how the room art trys to make it look like there's a wall blocking off some machinery back there .
ImageImageImage
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:12 pm

There is one thing I noticed about your custom lasers: they "ignore" Zoltan Shields.
I don't know how, but the bullets simply go trough them and strike the target if there are 2, or less, shield bubbles.
That shouldn't happen AFAIK... :?
Has anyone ever considered a Warhammer 40,000 Mod for this game? It would be awesome!
Jimli_

Postby Jimli_ » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:49 pm

That's intended as well.
ImageImageImage
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:07 am

Just did a video run of your Type B.
If half your enemy encounters are Automated ships, the other half have teleporters.

The Boxer can escape from automated ships but it can't destroy them. And if you get boarded, your crew is going to die. Especially if the enemies bring Mantis onboard and they will. It makes an internal check it says "Does this ship have a medbay?" "If no, does it have a clone bay?" "If no, then send as many boarding operations as possible."

So yeah, Karling Inc. needs to get its crap together. Take out a Carbine Laser and replace it with a real gun. Dual lasers, Defence Laser, just something that does hull damage, please.
And get it some damned medical supplies. Don't care if it's part of the gimmick or whatever! If you get boarded, you might as well kiss that run goodbye.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:29 am

And here's the video run:
https://youtu.be/zlu7OJ4apwE
Jimli_

Postby Jimli_ » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:29 pm

Sorry, I probably should of specified the intended strategy for using the lasers. I watched the first 5 minutes of your video and it seemed its a struggle without using it.

The idea was to starve their oxygen out, the lasers themselves aren't suited for heavy crew damage like a bio beam would be. Because you have two, one can ideally focus on taking down support systems (ie. Medbay and oxygen) while the other focuses on taking out their weapons. You might have noticed that the lasers also have a very high breach chance, so it'll delay the enemy from repairing the system itself.

If you encounter a particularly tough enemy you can always just blast their weapons and hope to get away, though in my test runs I seldom found one with enough firepower to disable me before I could start taking their life support offline.

Oh, and as for the boarding, wellll, it seems CE has significantly more boarding based enemies than vanilla does, so I'm not sure how I'll go about fixing that. Maybe add hacking/mind control to start with? Either that or I could give a very slow and powerful ion bomb as well as a pre-igniter, that way you could disable one system right at the start of the fight.

EDIT: Skipped ahead a bit and watched you get murdered by that rebel ship. Not sure if it slipped your mind or if you didn't know, but the lasers also deal 1 system damage as well. This lets you take any system offline you want, granted you can pierce the shields.
ImageImageImage
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:12 pm

Jimli_ wrote:Sorry, I probably should of specified the intended strategy for using the lasers. I watched the first 5 minutes of your video and it seemed its a struggle without using it.

The idea was to starve their oxygen out, the lasers themselves aren't suited for heavy crew damage like a bio beam would be. Because you have two, one can ideally focus on taking down support systems (ie. Medbay and oxygen) while the other focuses on taking out their weapons. You might have noticed that the lasers also have a very high breach chance, so it'll delay the enemy from repairing the system itself.

But nothing in the way of actually killing an enemy ship if it's automated or something. You know those are a thing, right? And they're like 60% of your encounters if you have a boarding vessel or a crew-killer ship.

If you encounter a particularly tough enemy you can always just blast their weapons and hope to get away, though in my test runs I seldom found one with enough firepower to disable me before I could start taking their life support offline.

Unless they drop a missile in your Weapons and set it on fire.

Oh, and as for the boarding, wellll, it seems CE has significantly more boarding based enemies than vanilla does, so I'm not sure how I'll go about fixing that. Maybe add hacking/mind control to start with? Either that or I could give a very slow and powerful ion bomb as well as a pre-igniter, that way you could disable one system right at the start of the fight.

Pre-Igniters should not be given out lightly.
Easy way to deal with boarders and no medical supplies - some damned doors. Even the Slug B has door controls.

EDIT: Skipped ahead a bit and watched you get murdered by that rebel ship. Not sure if it slipped your mind or if you didn't know, but the lasers also deal 1 system damage as well. This lets you take any system offline you want, granted you can pierce the shields

It was a Forward Scout and I was trying to keep the piloting suppressed so that it wouldn't even get a chance to bug out, at least up until the crew got too damaged to continue repairs. And by that point, their lasers had murdered everything and I had given up hope of a good run. Seriously, I was delaying the inevitable. Either some other ship with Lanius got me or I'd have nothing to fight the Flagship with and die in Phase 1.
Jimli_

Postby Jimli_ » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:35 am

Does not having damage weapons actually increase the spawn rate of AI? I'm not super adept at modding but I know some things actually change based on your power level, like asteroids and such.

As for the weapons system getting taken offline by a missile, couldn't that criticism be applied to a lot of ships? Zoltan A, Slug A, Rock A, Stealth B, and so on are all a bit boned in a battle if you get an unlucky shot, that's just how FTL goes. There's nothing stopping you from spending some scrap on a safety bar either, seeing as you'll need to eventually anyways.

Also, as for the last ship, I think it's just because you weren't managing your weapons very efficiently. If you'd eneabled both carbines, then you place your first two shots in weapons to disable the enemy's damage output before they can fire. Next shot goes to piloting, with an additional shot if it doesn't disable it right away. After this, just start picking off important systems in the order you deem best. Whenever you see them repair weapons/piloting just divert your shots for a second, having a laser on autofire for one system is overkill. You can also stutter your shots so there's only a five second delay between each shot, minimizing the chance that you can't take out a system when it gets back online.

Anyways, I'll probably add lvl2 doors in a mini patch tomorrow, as well as fix some problems with the glow. I think I'll also just leave out the manning station for doors, as it would be kind of ugly to stick a monitor there.

EDIT: Watched some more of the vid, seems like you were just being a bit too impatient with certain easy enemies, like at 19 minutes you jump away from a very easy to kill ship because the y have lvl2 oxygen. Just another shot would be disabled and breached the room again, making it tough even for an engi to repair quickly.
ImageImageImage
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:08 am

Jimli_ wrote:Does not having damage weapons actually increase the spawn rate of AI? I'm not super adept at modding but I know some things actually change based on your power level, like asteroids and such.

The spawn-rates are random but you swear that the game tries to screw you over with certain encounters right out the gate.

As for the weapons system getting taken offline by a missile, couldn't that criticism be applied to a lot of ships? Zoltan A, Slug A, Rock A, Stealth B, and so on are all a bit boned in a battle if you get an unlucky shot, that's just how FTL goes. There's nothing stopping you from spending some scrap on a safety bar either, seeing as you'll need to eventually anyways.

Yeah but that means you'll not have the money for a real gun or a layer of shields and/or the reactor to sustain it.

Also, as for the last ship, I think it's just because you weren't managing your weapons very efficiently. If you'd eneabled both carbines, then you place your first two shots in weapons to disable the enemy's damage output before they can fire. Next shot goes to piloting, with an additional shot if it doesn't disable it right away. After this, just start picking off important systems in the order you deem best. Whenever you see them repair weapons/piloting just divert your shots for a second, having a laser on autofire for one system is overkill. You can also stutter your shots so there's only a five second delay between each shot, minimizing the chance that you can't take out a system when it gets back online.

It's one of those problems I get once I finally get a real weapon. I tend to forget about the previous strategy. It happens with cloaking too. I go so long without a cloak, I forget that I have one.

Anyways, I'll probably add lvl2 doors in a mini patch tomorrow, as well as fix some problems with the glow. I think I'll also just leave out the manning station for doors, as it would be kind of ugly to stick a monitor there.

Or give it level 1 doors and have the crew playing Angry Birds on the door :P

EDIT: Watched some more of the vid, seems like you were just being a bit too impatient with certain easy enemies, like at 19 minutes you jump away from a very easy to kill ship because the y have lvl2 oxygen. Just another shot would be disabled and breached the room again, making it tough even for an engi to repair quickly.

Yeah but at that point, I wasn't going to risk my Life Support any more considering how my crew cannot be healed. Remember, I spent 5 minutes trying to kill an AI avatar. Chances of losing my crew before they did seemed much higher in my mind.
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:49 am

I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269