[OVERHAUL] Arsenal+ English Translation

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
mr_easy_money

Re: [OVERHAUL]Arsenal+ English Translation

Postby mr_easy_money » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:30 pm

The following mods have been updated:
(Arsenal+ is NOT compatible with FTL 1.6.1+, yet)

English Data v1.4.3
Fixed an event where if the player artillery fires, the game crashes. (# of shots > # of rooms)

DLC Ship pack #3 v1.2
Fixed all the artilleries to firing no more than 3 shots (because more than 3 shots fired by artillery can crash the game on ships with 3 rooms), but buffed them in other ways to balance that nerf out.
Vhati

Re: [OVERHAUL] Arsenal+ English Translation

Postby Vhati » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:02 am

mr_easy_money wrote:put the current resource pack and data with FTL 1.6 on, and look at the Lanius B. the Lanius B uses "shotgun_strip8_plus.png" and the icon should show up as something wacky)
[...]
but actually it seems just opening them up in GIMP and then overwriting the image (hotkey order: Alt+f then w) fixed the problem. so then I did this for everything in the stars folder just to be safe because one of the planet images broke.

another thing you can see is if you load up the Arsenal+ resource pack with FTL 1.6 installed, for some reason the loading image has a white background not transparent. I did the same overwriting trick and it fixed it. odd problem :?
The "Arsenal+ v1.25.3 English Resource Pack v2" image was byte-for-byte identical in the Russian "Arsenal+ v1.25.3.ftl".

Running the file command on the mod vs vanilla reveals a difference.

Code: Select all

$ file "Arsenal_1.25.3_rus/shotgun_strip8_plus.png"
PNG image data, 296 x 51, 8-bit/color RGBA, interlaced

$ file "FTL_Unpacked_1.6.1/img/weapons/shotgun_strip8.png"
PNG image data, 296 x 51, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced
I haven't tested by recreating the problem myself, but this seems likely.

Article: StackExchange - What does the interlaced option in Photoshop do?

EDIT: Confirmed: interlaced PNGs are not supported in FTL 1.6.
Source: SIL's "utility/png.c"

Code: Select all

png_read_info(png, info);
const unsigned int width      = png_get_image_width(png, info);
const unsigned int height     = png_get_image_height(png, info);
const unsigned int bit_depth  = png_get_bit_depth(png, info);
const unsigned int color_type = png_get_color_type(png, info);
if (UNLIKELY(png_get_interlace_type(png, info) != PNG_INTERLACE_NONE)) {
   DLOG("Interlaced images not supported");
   goto error;
}
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:23 am

The next release of Slipstream will have warnings for TTF, MP3, and interlaced PNG files when you click the "Validate" button. Plus a harmless nag when images aren't RGBA w/8bit channels - like alphaless-RGB or gray or indexed or something.
bamalf

Postby bamalf » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:20 am

Great! This will greatly simplify the transition to 1.6 :)
Image Image Image
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:16 pm

DLC Ship pack #3 v1.2.1
Fixed a translation error in the ship description of the Zoltan C, "Cherry".
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:29 pm

Arsenal+ Non-Arsenal+ Ship Mod Fix v1.2

- the Chain Vulcan should now should up as the Vulcan Gatling Laser, not a Chain Laser.
- added fixes for vanilla weapons used in artillery systems.
- changed the dummy text that appears in the tooltip for the player artillery system from description of artillery beam to something very general. compatible with both FTL 1.5.13 and 1.6 so I won't have to update this again for that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In other news,
- Get v1.4.3 of the English Data base mod if you haven't already. changes from v1.4: event fixes, equipment description changes, weapon titles in WEAPONS box that didn't fit correctly now fit, and removed unused tooltip text from every non-Artillery weapon.

- An upcoming version of this mod compatible with the steam beta branch, FTL 1.6.2, is currently in the works. Mostly done, just that in FTL 1.6 you can no longer put the name of a random crewmember in event text via "%req"... all places where that happens now look odd because of that.

- An optional add-on that makes defense drones more reliable (and nerfs hacking) is also in the works. Not sure if I overdid the buff to defense drones... even if they're not at sMPK-tier...
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:27 am

mr_easy_money wrote:in FTL 1.6 you can no longer put the name of a random crewmember in event text via "%req"... all places where that happens now look odd because of that.
Can you elaborate?
I almost posted in the bugs forum, but I saw FTL 1.6.2's "nameEvents.xml" still contains several instances of "%req".

Ah.

Article: The Cutting Room Floor Wiki - FTL Test Events
The entire file 'nameEvents.xml', containing six unique events, is unused, and appears to be an experiment with using the names of crew members in events. The specific syntax used in the file seems to differ in many places from the syntax used in other events, implying that this file is relatively old. More than one of these events refer to the player ship as "the Kestrel" by name, implying that these events were written before the other playable ships were added to the game.
Last edited by Vhati on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:57 pm

Vhati wrote:
mr_easy_money wrote:in FTL 1.6 you can no longer put the name of a random crewmember in event text via "%req"... all places where that happens now look odd because of that.
Can you elaborate?
I almost posted in the bugs forum, but I saw FTL 1.6.2's "nameEvents.xml" still contains several instances of "%req".

I was referring to its use within this mod, not vanilla :roll:

%req and %crew used to be placeholders for the name of one of your crew. This forum post has some more details, viewtopic.php?t=3356

If you load one of the events in nameEvents.xml into the game that features words starting with the % sign, in FTL 1.5.13 they'll show up as names of crewmembers, but in FTL 1.6 they won't do that. okay, so those are unused vanilla events, who cares?

Arsenal+ cares. Arsenal+ makes heavy use of this. As an example, I'll show an event that does this in FTL 1.5.13 vs the same event in FTL 1.6:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Background of what lead to this event, we'll pick choice 2

One of the events that spawns from choice 2, in FTL 1.5.13

The same event that spawns from choice 2, but in FTL 1.6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arsenal+ uses %req in plenty of other places, and now that %req no longer works, we can't put the name of one of our crew directly into an event. I've thought about replacing it now with "One of your crewmen", but it simply doesn't feel the same at all, it's just too vague. with the crewman's name in the event we can feel "oh, Lanng did this". to me, it gives the crew some more character. I'm not sure what I'll (and bamalf and the other Russian devs) will do now that any sort of crew event placeholder is gone.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:13 pm

mr_easy_money wrote:I was referring to its use within this mod, not vanilla :roll:
[...]
If you load one of the events in nameEvents.xml into the game that features words starting with the % sign, in FTL 1.5.13 they'll show up as names of crewmembers, but in FTL 1.6 they won't do that. okay, so those are unused vanilla events, who cares?

Arsenal+ cares.
Exactly. I see it as a bug that such events are still included in vanilla resources. They serve as misleading examples to modders by implying it retains features that were actually removed.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:49 am

So... FTL 1.6 is finally off the beta branch and in everybody's hands. Things need to be updated, and so, the following mods have been updated for FTL 1.6.3 :D

English Data v1.5 for FTL 1.6.3
English Resource Pack for FTL 1.6.3
DLC Ship pack #3 v1.2.1 for FTL 1.6.3

All three of these have been sorted out to deal with the compatibility errors that ensue from an FTL "upgrade". The resource pack has images and sound files that will now work, and things have been switched around and whatnot to deal with all the needed changes FTL 1.6.3 brings. The 3rd "DLC" ship pack should have its images in working order (I've yet to ensure the first two packs will work correctly). Lastly, the base mod containing all the data has been updated accordingly to fix errors that ensued.

But that's not all. The English Data base mod also adds: a bit of the new blueprint removal FTL 1.6 brings to the table, event fixes and changes, better sector name stuff FTL 1.6 brings to the table too, and finally a tiny bit of making stuff read better sprinkled here and there.

Something to note, until the fonts are sorted out again. If at any point you see symbols such as ~ (tilde), | (pipe), { or } (curly braces), change the font size to the highest. These are supposed to look like icons for scrap, fuel, missiles, and drone parts, but due to new font limitations they only appear in the highest font size. So just to reiterate, if you see strange symbols, try going to the highest font size and things may make more sense.

But that's not all yet either.
mr_easy_money wrote:- An optional add-on that makes defense drones more reliable (and nerfs hacking) is also in the works. Not sure if I overdid the buff to defense drones... even if they're not at sMPK-tier...
That addon is finally here, after much procrastination at a release :roll:

Arsenal+ Addon - Reliable Defense Drones
In a nutshell, as you'd imagine, it makes defense drones better at intercepting stuff. This includes hacking, and removes the hacking "invisibility" (and the hack drone has its reduced). Again, this is optional. You can find the full details about this on the main post, best off to read the description there. This addon is subject to change...

--
----
In other news, the resource pack will probably get an update in the next FTL update. The old .ttf file format was supposed to be brought back, but there was a bug or something and we'll have to wait until FTL 1.6.4. This also goes for the original Russian Arsenal+ mod, so that's mainly why there haven't been big updates recently such as the addition of new events. Trust me, there is new content planned, and it looks good. 8-)

In more other news, let me know if you discover any big differences in either sound quality or volume for much of the music this mod adds. with mp3 no longer supported, I had to make my first foray into converting mp3 into ogg. probably will be alright but if it isn't do tell me and I'll find someone who can do a better job at it. :roll:

In further more other news, enjoy the new FTL update! Give the devs a hand for still being here for this old game we all still love. :)
----
--

As always, if you find any bugs or odd behavior (missing images, broken wording, broken sound, etc.), please tell me in a reply to this thread.