[SHIP] Ramuran Vessel [AE]

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
stylesrj

Re: [SHIP] Ramuran Vessel [AE] [WIP]

Postby stylesrj » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:28 pm

I changed the color of the beam, like the actual proton beam not the weapon itself. I tried to change the color of the weapon itself but to be honest, it was very hard to make it look right. Making the colors fade correctly and everything was just beyond my tiny image editing capacity.

I'm not sure exactly how it works but you only need two images (and then I think you need to add an animations.xml.append)

Code: Select all

<animSheet name="beam_p" w="30" h="41" fw="30" fh="41">weapons/beam_p_strip.png</animSheet>
<weaponAnim name="beam_p">
   <sheet>beam_p</sheet>
   <desc length="1" x="0" y="0" />
   <chargedFrame>1</chargedFrame>
   <fireFrame>1</fireFrame>
   <firePoint x="16" y="13" />
   <mountPoint x="3" y="30" />
   <chargeImage>weapons/beam_p_glow.png</chargeImage>
</weaponAnim>

I don't know if that'll work or not but make an image called "beam_p" and colour the first frame blue. Copy that single frame over the rest if you want or just the one.
The glow itself can be coloured blue or whatever. Here's the fun part about beams - they will automatically glow without needing it to be painted frame-by-frame. You only want multiple frames if say you want parts to light up or something. Heck, you can probably just get away with changing only the glow of the Proton Beam.

If you haven't already, use the colorise tool in GIMP or a "drop shadow" for your glows. If you don't have GIMP, go get it and use it.
rjcobourn

Postby rjcobourn » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:01 am

Ok, I will try that when I finish the sounds. Right now I can't find a suitable sound. If you have netflix or something the episode is Season 4 Episode 22 of Star Trek: voyager. The problem is the shots go along with some music in the background of other slight sounds so getting the sounds from the actual episode seems impossible. I also have not been able to find a sound effect that fits the weapon. I have been able to use a custom sound effect in the game "I tried one to see what it would be like" so the only problem is that I need to find a suitable one. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:04 am

I dunno how to isolate sounds, etc but I say take the one you think is best and use that. Chances are, it'll be the only thing that can be heard once you've got it.
rjcobourn

Postby rjcobourn » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:24 am

Well, I finally got the custom sound to work. It is very short so I am going to decrease beam length from 30 to 25 to make the animation faster so that it fits the sound better. For now I am going to take a break before I work on changing the color of the graphics tonight.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:32 am

You can always change the speed of the beam rather than the length.
rjcobourn

Postby rjcobourn » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:52 am

Man, my editing is just terrible. The colorize thing does not seem to be working right... it just colors it... incorrectly. I don't really know what you mean by the animation. I might just keep the default :( Anyways, I am going to change the cooldown of the weapon from 15 seconds to 14 seconds as well, in order to help buff the ship a bit. Even with shielding the ship is so vulnerable with only 2 crew.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:33 pm

So I took the Halberd Beam and made it slightly blue. It's not 100% complete but there's uncharged and fully charged.

Call it beam_p_strip

And here's the glow:

Call it beam_p_glow

So now, make an animations.xml.append and add this to it:

<animSheet name="beam_p" w="300" h="41" fw="30" fh="41">weapons/beam_p_strip.png</animSheet>
<weaponAnim name="beam_p">
   <sheet>beam_p</sheet>
   <desc length="10" x="0" y="0" />
   <chargedFrame>1</chargedFrame>
   <fireFrame>2</fireFrame>
   <firePoint x="16" y="13" />
   <mountPoint x="3" y="30" />
   <chargeImage>weapons/beam_p_glow.png</chargeImage>
</weaponAnim>

Then go to your blueprints.xml.append and change the

<weaponArt>beam_2</weaponArt>

to

<weaponArt>beam_p</weaponArt>

See if that works better
rjcobourn

Postby rjcobourn » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:28 pm

Thank you so much! I've got it working now! YES!!! Now the only problem is the sound effect. The sound pulled from the show sounds mediocre at best in-game. Is that ok if it's not the best sound effect?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:07 pm

I say try it and let others judge it. Sometimes you can't get the perfect sound you want.
rjcobourn

Postby rjcobourn » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:35 pm

Version 3 is out! Special thanks to user stylesrj for the insane amount of help with this mod! I hope that soon this ship will be balanced enough that it is fun to fly but still has a decent challenge! Please post any suggestions you have.