[WIP] The Capital Ships

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
The_Bear

[WIP] The Capital Ships

Postby The_Bear » Sat May 28, 2016 6:25 pm

THE CAPITAL SHIPS
thousands of capital ships were used in the Federation-Mantis war, but now there are only 3 left. One was stolen by the rebels at the start of the war and used as a prototype flagship, the other was stolen by pirates and the last was left behind at some planet.

TYPE A
BACKSTORY: After stealing some rebel data and crashing on a planet, you find out that there are only 1 federation ship left on the planet, the rest are only fighters unable to go to hyperspace. Most of the equipmest has been salvaged but it can still fly.
Equipment:
Systems: lvl 1 engines, lvl 2 shields, lvl 2 drones, lvl 1 sensors, lvl 1 doors, lvl 1 o2, lvl 1 pilot and lvl 8 weapons.
Power: 8 power
Crew: 2 humans
Augments: none
Weapons: Prototype missile and laser artillery (does 2 damage, fires 3 shots, needs 4 power, and needs 20 seconds to charge and the missile uses 1 missiles)
Drones: lvl 1 combat drone, lvl 1 deffence drone and lvl 1 anti-ship beam drone.
Version 3
Videos: https://youtu.be/WYQdjRIcEBc

TYPE B
Comming soon...
Videos: none yet

TYPE C
Comming soon...
Videos: none yet

Credit to Srul for creating the ship image.
Credit to kartoFlane for creating Superluminal.
Last edited by The_Bear on Sun May 29, 2016 10:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
stylesrj

Re: [WIP] The Capital Ships

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 29, 2016 5:57 am

So I did a video run of this ship. (I'm processing it now so that's why I haven't made a link yet).
It's very negative. Very much negative because this ship as it currently stands, sucks. It doesn't feel like a Flagship, it feels like a deathtrap

The main guns take forever to charge and hardly do any damage. As soon as I found a store, I immediately swapped out the guns for a Flak I and an Ion Stunner.

The missile weapon is lame. 3 shots, 3 missiles to fire those 3 shots? 46 second cooldown time? Seriously, the Pegasus would have been better.
And the other artillery, the laser? It's essentially a Burst Laser II with a ludicrously long cooldown time and all it really has over it is a small breach chance. Not a fair tradeoff.

The ship also starts with no missiles or drone parts. So you're essentially going into battle with a crappy Burst Laser II and dying.

Oh and the airlocks... needs more airlocks! The ship's already bad as-is in terms of firepower but if someone enters say Piloting or Shields, it's very hard to flush them out or to extinguish fires if you have to vent half the ship. So it's not even good with fending off boarders.

Lastly, the ship starts with 8 Weapons Power. I think increasing your Weapons stat to those levels means enemies also get tougher. I encountered a ship in Sector 2 on Normal with 2 layers of shield and a Burst Laser II. Either that was a rare encounter or the game thinks you can handle increased firepower. Because I saw quite a few.

Basically, Artillery-type weapons should not be used as main guns. You need to at least reduce the cooldowns significantly.

I advise that before releasing a ship with new guns, even if it's a WIP, try to play a game or two and see how well you fare in the very first jumps.
Because the massive flaws with the weapons would have been made obvious and then you could tweak them so they don't immediately get sold as soon as any other gun comes along.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 29, 2016 6:29 am

And now it's ready:
https://youtu.be/WYQdjRIcEBc

Or at least it's been turned from raw footage into something watchable.
The_Bear

Postby The_Bear » Sun May 29, 2016 10:19 am

Version 2: Weapons now only takes 20 sec to charge and you start with a pre igniter. Missile weapon now only uses 1 missile and you start with 10. You also start with 20 drone parts and I added some airlocks. I also fixed the name. Download
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 29, 2016 10:33 am

I don't think the Pre-igniter is needed.
Seriously, no ship should ever need to start with one.
Also, reduce the Weapons power to 4 bars. So at first you've gotta switch between the two guns depending on your needs.

Also, 20 seconds charge for the triple shot laser, again makes it just a slow-firing Burst Laser II that will be sold ASAP.
The_Bear

Postby The_Bear » Sun May 29, 2016 10:41 am

stylesrj wrote:I don't think the Pre-igniter is needed.
Seriously, no ship should ever need to start with one.
Also, reduce the Weapons power to 4 bars. So at first you've gotta switch between the two guns depending on your needs.

Also, 20 seconds charge for the triple shot laser, again makes it just a slow-firing Burst Laser II that will be sold ASAP.

The laser does 2 damage every shot.
The_Bear

Postby The_Bear » Sun May 29, 2016 10:51 am

Version 3: Pre igniter removed and weapons power reduced to 4.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 29, 2016 11:11 am

Then it's justified to be 20 seconds. Cool.
And 4 power bars at the start means enemy ships won't be armed with Complete BS in Sector 2. Just regular BS.
Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Sun May 29, 2016 11:15 am

stylesrj wrote:Then it's justified to be 20 seconds. Cool.
And 4 power bars at the start means enemy ships won't be armed with Complete BS in Sector 2. Just regular BS.

I agree. Also: give power for the drones man.
killin' slugs and beating Rebels since 2014, modding the game since 2016
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 29, 2016 11:22 am

The Drones are fine. You just gotta swap between them or focus on upgrading them first.