[MOD] Ship Customizer

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
sul

Re: [MOD] Ship Customizer

Postby sul » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:20 am

tinyrodent wrote:Yeah that would be great! I looked at the modding possibilities, the only thing I could imagine for 1) was maybe to watermark the shield image, so that the purpose of each room could be seen underneath. But it's not a good solution for many reasons. :(

In the spirit of your suggestion however, perhaps there could be a new menu item "install all systems" so that a player can see which room for each one, and if he likes the layout, restart and buy the systems desired.

Huey I found a quick fix to 1). You can get a boarder from the menu (an engi, easy to kill) and during the boarding see your ship.
tinyrodent

Postby tinyrodent » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:14 pm

sul wrote:Huey I found a quick fix to 1). You can get a boarder from the menu (an engi, easy to kill) and during the boarding see your ship.

I don't understand, can you explain in more detail please? :)
tinyrodent

Postby tinyrodent » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:56 pm

sul wrote:Some notes on ship costs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dt3iyug7ns6lz ... s.txt?dl=0

I really like the meta-game of building a (starting) ship within the constraint of of a certain scrap budget. However in the current system, there is no accounting for the value of the basic hull. Some of the factors which could be considered in the price:
  • what is the size of the teleporter room?
  • what is the size of the medbay?
  • how many total systems are allowed - does this vary ?
  • how many weapon slots are present?
  • how many drone slots are present?
In addition to these items, for CE there is artillery system which can be different and maybe not all hulls allow it?

Not sure how to account for other differences such as layout, number of airlocks, etc. And surely some things not mentioned - I haven't even looked at any of the custom ships.

Also, assigning value of zero to the systems included by all standard ships, seems not consistent with the idea of building within a budget, starting at the bare-bones. A player might choose not to purchase some of those default systems, saving some scrap to spend elsewhere.
sul

Postby sul » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:10 pm

tinyrodent wrote:
sul wrote:Huey I found a quick fix to 1). You can get a boarder from the menu (an engi, easy to kill) and during the boarding see your ship.

I don't understand, can you explain in more detail please? :)

In the menu go to "More Actions" see select "See my ship (one boarder)". You will get one engi boarder on your ship (which you need to kill with either your crew or suffocation). The thing is when you have the engi boarder you can see the interior of your ship (where systems are), like you requested. Thats the only way I found to do it without closing the menu. Once the engi is dead the menu reopens.
sul

Postby sul » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:33 pm

tinyrodent wrote:
sul wrote:Some notes on ship costs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dt3iyug7ns6lz ... s.txt?dl=0

I really like the meta-game of building a (starting) ship within the constraint of of a certain scrap budget. However in the current system, there is no accounting for the value of the basic hull. Some of the factors which could be considered in the price:
  • what is the size of the teleporter room?
  • what is the size of the medbay?
  • how many total systems are allowed - does this vary ?
  • how many weapon slots are present?
  • how many drone slots are present?
In addition to these items, for CE there is artillery system which can be different and maybe not all hulls allow it?

Not sure how to account for other differences such as layout, number of airlocks, etc. And surely some things not mentioned - I haven't even looked at any of the custom ships.

Also, assigning value of zero to the systems included by all standard ships, seems not consistent with the idea of building within a budget, starting at the bare-bones. A player might choose not to purchase some of those default systems, saving some scrap to spend elsewhere.

You are right it would be very cool to buy everything but unfortunately there are technical limitations. All you mention (room sizes, number of weapon slots, type of artillery...) is modified before game start (in the ship blueprints) so there is no way to give it a price. Then I keep all content from other mods as well as some systems (oxygen) free at this time because their price is subjective and I cant track or decide on every one of them. Also you can pack much more items on a same page when they are free instead of paid, for mods with a lot of extra content like Captain Edition it makes things much easier. So basically while you pay for regular items in the menu, at some point you need to estimate yourself if your ship is balanced or not with all those extras.
tinyrodent

Postby tinyrodent » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:13 pm

sul wrote:In the menu go to "More Actions" see select "See my ship (one boarder)". You will get one engi boarder on your ship (which you need to kill with either your crew or suffocation). The thing is when you have the engi boarder you can see the interior of your ship (where systems are), like you requested. Thats the only way I found to do it without closing the menu. Once the engi is dead the menu reopens.

OK, first of all I didn't realize there was a new version ;) but now I got that and tried the boarder, but it still only shows installed systems. It's already easy to view that - just press space bar to pause the game before return to main view. Is there some other benefit to boarder?

The problem I was trying to solve however, was to find out the size and location of all the (important) systems in each room of the ship. To do that, first I have to install each one. So it could possibly be helpful to have "install all systems" or something like that, in order to see at a glance all of the information about the hull such as the size of the teleporter & medbay, number of weapon & drone slots, etc. Like so:
tinyrodent

Postby tinyrodent » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:17 pm

The screenshot above shows a problem introduced with the newest version of Ship Customizer. Now the "unmanned" feature previously included as add-on, is not a choice. But this means that the ships are considerably more powerful because all systems are "manned" (see sensors and doors above), plus it self-repairs. Even if some crew is added.
sul

Postby sul » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:04 pm

tinyrodent wrote:The screenshot above shows a problem introduced with the newest version of Ship Customizer. Now the "unmanned" feature previously included as add-on, is not a choice. But this means that the ships are considerably more powerful because all systems are "manned" (see sensors and doors above), plus it self-repairs. Even if some crew is added.

Argh you are right I forgot about it, I just wanted to merge add-ons for simplicity. Ok ill separate the unmanned ship add-on again. And I didnt know either you could see the ship when pausing, I'll remove the engi boarder then its silly. Thanks so much for the feedback !

PS: ok i think i understand better know, so if you want to see where systems are in the ship I guess you can quickly just install all of them (using the Force option to go beyond usual number of systems), check out the setup and restart. Problem is systems is once they are installed or upgraded you cannot go back, there is no downgrade option in the game.
sul

Postby sul » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:18 pm

I
tinyrodent wrote:The screenshot above shows a problem introduced with the newest version of Ship Customizer. Now the "unmanned" feature previously included as add-on, is not a choice. But this means that the ships are considerably more powerful because all systems are "manned" (see sensors and doors above), plus it self-repairs. Even if some crew is added.

tinyrodent I separated the UnmannedShip and CustomShip addons so it should solve the problem. Happy holidays !
tinyrodent

Postby tinyrodent » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:58 pm

Thanks I will try it! :D