The Titan Crusher

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
sleepz8

The Titan Crusher

Postby sleepz8 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:24 am

The Titan Crusher is one of the few Mantis support ships. It has vast medical facilities for keeping armies at the front of battle and large cannons for providing destructive fire support.

I made some cool cannons the other day and figured I should make a ship to go with them! This ship is not a mantis-boarding ship, even though it has a large medbay. It has 4 weapon slots and the weapon system can be upgraded to 16 max power, so it's pretty OP later on. If you have any issues or suggestions with this ship, please let me know! Replaces Mantis A.

Starting Systems:
Shields-2
Engines-3
O2-1
Weapons-4
Medbay-1
Piloting-1
Sensors-1
Doors-1
Power-8

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/00y52uh1b4fs9oz/Titan_Crusher.ftl?dl=0

Thanks for reading!

Update:
Moved side weapon mounts so different weapons aren't floating off the ship.
Last edited by sleepz8 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NarnKar

Re: The Titan Crusher

Postby NarnKar » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:23 pm

You're stepping your game up, sleepz8! It looks very nice, and you're definitely starting to pick up more polish-related stuff (new guns, new room art).

So you know, no doubt, that when guns are depowered, they retract into the hull. It seems like that's going to happen with your ship's big guns too. I'm not sure if "parts of the ship retract into the ship" is the look you're going for--if it is, ignore this little ramble, if it isn't:

personally I would have made the red, mantisy part of the big side-guns part of the ship hull image. the actual "weapon" sprite would just be the three barrels of the gun. that way, when depowered, the gun barrels would retract into the ship, but the actual red part would remain completely unfolded.
to handle glows, you would just make the glowing areas of the big red parts transparent, and put the actual "light" on the weapon glows.

of course, I suppose that looks a little bit weird in your inventory, to have just three barrels floating in the void. so I think you could also do a thing where the three gun barrels are connected to a box, of sorts, but the box is small enough that it gets hidden by the big red metal parts of the ship hull. so that way it looks nice in your inventory and in battle--

--but, I mean, that's honestly just a personal thing, like...it looks great as it is!

one thing I do have to say is that...the room art kind of looks like you took the existing room art and increased the "red" value on hue-saturation. this looks okay in some rooms, but in others like weapons, shields, and oxygen, it has random red metal bits sticking out everywhere, which doesn't make the most...sense, to me, I guess.

oh, and, remove glows before splicing--I still see a few in there.
sleepz8

Postby sleepz8 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:41 pm

Firstly, thanks! I made the guns before the ship, so they aren't particularly well optimised. To be honest though, I don't mind them retracting. (I made the weapons for my weapon mod)

Secondly, I used the base game interiors and at some point in my creation of the GIF the rooms got a bit of a red hint. They don't look like they do in my pic. Sorry about that......

Thirdly, yeh I forgot to remove the glow from the gibs before splicing >.< I'll fix that when I get the time :L
sleepz8

Postby sleepz8 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:57 pm

OK, as per your suggestion I've redone the hull , removing gib glows first. The file's been updated!!