[Ship Pack] Gencool's Bizarre [v08]

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
stylesrj

Re: [Ship Pack] Gencool's Bizarre [v03!]

Postby stylesrj » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:34 pm

Gencool wrote:Nope, teleporter and clonebay are crew-area systems so that noone gets trapped.

But if no one can get to the teleporter, then you can isolate it and let enemies get abducted. Plus it sorta makes sense for the teleporter to be where the cargo is. If the packages are too big to fit via teleporter, you use the big doors to bring it in.

Sorry, yeah, I meant -0.25. I guess it's basically nanobots which also kill enemies and put out fires...

Which means that you're not depriving an enemy ship of air, you're depriving them of countermeasures against your nanobot swarm... hey what if you modified the no-oxygen tiles to something else or changed the Life Support icon to indicate as much?
Gencool

Re: [Ship Pack] Gencool's Bizarre [v04!]

Postby Gencool » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:17 pm

I guess that makes sense, but it'd really reduce the usability of the teleporter, especially since the ship isn't an abduction ship, and really it's just a waste of scrap then...

Anyways, new update. Completely re-balanced The Busco (it's both more playable AND more of a challenge now), and fixed some balance and bug issues that came up on the DSTR and Siphon.
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
Gencool

Re: [Ship Pack] Gencool's Bizarre [v07!?]

Postby Gencool » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:53 pm

AAAAAAND I re-re-balanced the Busco. It was waaaay too complicated, hopefully this should make it work better.

Also, the secret ship's had a bugfix. Thought you guys should know.
ImageImageImage
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:30 am

Ok Gencool, I've really had it with the Siphon. Why is such a good ship just so bad at surviving? I'd put it on par with the Crystal B or the Shrike in terms of what it can get up to in combat but I can win many of a game with those in vanilla or Captain's Edition. So why is the Siphon just so bad?

On that note, Katatonik took a shot at it and even though he's my sworn enemy and we're fated to fight at some point in an epic showdown... I feel really bad for him as to what happened in this run:
https://youtu.be/3rzLFNgxpwY

Gencool, put up some warning labels on that ship that say "This ship is cursed. Do not fly if you want to keep having good luck for the rest of your life" because honestly, the Siphon is full of bad luck. Three runs in a row I have lost. Three runs. Not because I did some stupid tactic like get my Engies killed because I underestimated the enemy force, but because of just plain bad luck with drones blocking my shots, enemies dropping missiles and bombs everywhere and Zoltan station BS where even after kicking them heavily, never gave up.

The Siphon is cursed. Cursed, cursed, cursed!
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:45 am

Well, frustrated by the failure of the Siphon, Katatonik tries out the Busco...

https://youtu.be/u5Eq0hhxdRk

The ending will surprise you. It certainly did surprise me (even if it's painfully obvious as to why it was a bad idea)!
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:10 am

Awesome! I've literally never seen that happen before!

The stores thing is another case of me forgetting how CE works. Although I kinda like how it worked out...
I'm kinda tempted to drop the tele-heal to 25% after seeing how well that went ^^
ImageImageImage
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:39 am

Gencool wrote:The stores thing is another case of me forgetting how CE works. Although I kinda like how it worked out...
I'm kinda tempted to drop the tele-heal to 25% after seeing how well that went ^^

I'm tempted to just ignore your nerfing and give the teleport a Level 4 option :P
But it'll cost like 120 Scrap so you've gotta work for it.

Also, I think the Busco attracts more fire than any episode of the Yogscast with Simon in it.
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:31 pm

*makes note; A ship with level 4, 10% reconstructive teleporter*
ImageImageImage
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:53 pm

Gencool wrote:*makes note; A ship with level 4, 10% reconstructive teleporter*

The problem is that you can instantly and constantly shuttle the crew back and forth to heal them back to full. You could nerf the teleporter and make it like the TARDIS with one person at a time type of deal but I think that would make boarding more frustrating with all that micromanagement.

And then your advantage is ruined when someone hits the teleporter. Oh well.

Say what does a Level 5 Teleporter do?
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:20 am

So I played the Aqui~ today. Don't have any screenshots this time, but I do have some feedback!

Firstly, something to fix: switching to medbay is still possible and you can get unreasonably high levels that way by upgrading the clonebay beforehand. I had a lvl 4 for a while and it was even faster than 3, but I switched back to the clonebay so I don't know how significant the effect of lvl 6 would be. Should probably be either made impossible or all the limiters doubled for both. Well, I guess it's not a really bad thing, but it's not very neat.

The ship itself plays very nicely, but I fear there's not much replayability due to how a lot of its playstyle is already decided at the start. There is very little that will actually be modified by RNG and the player themselves. Just drones and crew, really, maybe some augments, but not extremely relevant with what you do have.
I found the artillery to be nearly useless on my run, but I could see it coming in handy if someone upgraded the battery a lot. Still, with the cost of that + the system itself it felt a lot like just something to stuff the system slot.

I'm not sure what the difficulty you were going for was supposed to be, so I'll just say that the lack of power is not nearly as big a downside as one might think, and the 4 tile teleporter is as strong as ever. Ship felt very OP for good chunks of time, pretty much all the way until the flagship, where the length of the fight made things get a little hectic once or twice. Even so, it only got me down to yellow towards the end of the third phase. I did have a good assortment of drones, with a DD II, hull repair (didn't use it much), 2 combat drones.

@edit
Oh, and one more thing, because I can't really figure it out.. Why all the trouble with the surplus clonebay/teleporter levels? The only reason I can think of is that so you don't start with a functional boarding strategy, but then why clonebay, too? Why not just limit teleporter by one at the start and have it go up to 4?
The upside is that getting damage on them is much less relevant (and the blue options should show up earlier), but did you really just mean that as a buff?
Or is it just trying a feature (I had an idea of how, but it was still.. weird to actually see what you did there - all the modifications to just, well, everything..).