[Ship Pack] Gencool's Bizarre [v08]

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Gencool

[Ship Pack] Gencool's Bizarre [v08]

Postby Gencool » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:28 pm

Welcome, weary traveler!

In honour of my 300th post, and in order to finally clear out some of these old ideas from my head and harddrive, allow me to present to you a new pack of oddities!

Below you will find several ships - each has been built half from conceptual, game-breaking mechanics, and half from the discards of fanfiction and FTL lore.

Just keep in mind;
  • All of these are made for fun, not longevity. They are meant to be balanced within themselves, but are not particularly designed to make it to the flagship.
  • I've attempted to make them as non-broken as possible, but bugs will probably still persist.
  • They're best as stand-alone mods. They should work with Sm polish. Theoretically they'll work with Twinge. They might work with CE.
  • These ships are not overly polished; They don't gib, the sprites and sounds are mostly re-used from existing game assets. Hopefully noone minds.
  • I am not going to give guides, or much explanation, to any of these ships. FTL is a rougelike, after all.

Now, without further ado;

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Siphon - v3

The Siphon is an Engi Boarding ship.
Why are the rooms red? Because they have no Oxygen.
How are the Engi alive? The ship has Nanobots that heal crew in a Vaccum.*

(*This ship, and a lot of this pack, is a result of sul's CRAZE mod discoveries)

Videos:
Stylesrj's run (Includes a very early Stowbud run)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Busco - UPDATED!

The Busco is a Mantis Drop-Pod, built for delivering whole armies to the front-line.
However, less advanced medical care means your crew's health is far more of a worry than normal.
You have one slot to install an additional system of your choosing, and the ships starts with a FlakII artillery*.

(*This has a ~19 second cooldown at level 3)

-Note: Running CE will mean crew can't be re-spawned at stores.
Future updates: Fix incorrect Battery cost
Fix stores for CE

Videos:
Stylesrj's run

The Aquilifer - UPDATED!

This ship is a smaller version of the Rebel Flagship.
It's fully loaded from the start, and even has 4 weapon slots AND four drone slots.*
Although it could have been very powerful, it has a rather sub-par reactor...

(*Yes, this breaks the ui a bit; No, you can't get a refund.)

Note: This ship has been heavily re-balanced in the latest version.

DS-TR 13 - v3

Discover the one simple trick this modder kept hidden for months*
Yes, this is the by-product of a mod I've been putting off working on for OVER A YEAR. Maybe one day I'l release said mod.
Until then, you have the DS-TR 13; it may have been better served as a Halloween mod, but Halloweens not until like October or something.

(*Captains hate him)

Image Galleries: Meklozz' Run
Videos: Bio's Run 1

The Stowbud - v3

The Stowbud is a heavy transport ship, and is not equipped for combat*
The crew only have access to half the ship, while ship-board drones are used to look after the cargo.
What's worse; to protect your supplies, the cargo hold can't be vented, so you'll have to improvise against boarders.

(*This was a secret ship for the last two updates, but I figured i'd make it official)

-----Download Link-----
Right Click - Save As (No ModDB link yet)
Current version: v08

Updates:
v1.1 Added an extra ship
v02 Re-balanced the new ship slightly
v03 Re-balances the Stowbud again, fixes a few issues found by recent players
v04 Heavy update to The Busco, adding an artillery and altering some events for a much more streamlined experience
      Also fixed some minor balance/naming issues and with the DSTR and Siphon found during Bio's Runs
v05 Minor graphical fixes, new secret ship!
v06 Heavy re-working of Aquillifer to lock down playstyle and reduce early OP-ness.
v07 Altered Busco to make the challenge fairer and more consistant
      Altered secret ship to fix 'reward' issues.
v08 Updated Aquillifer again; weapon loadout is now (mostly) locked.

Another ship is in consideration for a future update. Details soon.

For the curious; some more information can be found on the mod's Reddit Thread, or you can always leave a post in this thread and I'l try to reply!

And that's it.

Thanks to sul, Bio, Styles and NarnKar for inspiration.

There's two ships that didn't make it into this pack.
I won't be working on them for another month, if then.

Let me know what you think, as ever I would love to see Let's Players take these on.

Have fun-
-Gencool
Last edited by Gencool on Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:40 am, edited 50 times in total.
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
stylesrj

Re: [Ship Pack] Gencool's Bizarre

Postby stylesrj » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:15 pm

They all sound cool.
I should try each one of them in a single video, jumping to the next ship if it blows up early before the Flagship :lol:

But if it takes 40 minutes to blow up, chances are I might not be able to do them all.

I especially like the DS-TR 13. It might have been destroyed before, but it's back from the grave!
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:01 pm

I like the visual effects and the floor image of the DS-TR 13. Even better than The Derelict, imo--the torn room boundaries really sell it.
bnsfc

Postby bnsfc » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:51 am

These ships look cool! *notice's asterisk, looks down* "WHATS THAT SONY? I CAN'T QUITE READ YA!"
Yes, it had to be all caps.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:00 am

The ghost ship is an awesome concept, it's kinda OP in a way, but gets really tiring after a time, lots of clicking and micromanaging! It seems I had an opportunity to get a mantis crew from a blue event, is that supposed to happen? It was a teleporter one I think.

@edit Honestly, I'm not certain about this free crew event as I wasn't paying attention that much at the time. Pretty sure it was a mantis though.
Dimmrfrost

Postby Dimmrfrost » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:57 am

Nanobots heal crew in a Vaccum even without Medbay? Seriously?
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:18 am

Styles; Go for it! Should be fun =D

Narn; Thankyou! I knew the DS would get the most love, somehow.

bnsfc; Ha, sorry for the eyestrain!

mekz; That's a compliment, right?
Yeah, it's sort of a glass cannon, like the original ship. Needs constant attention to stand a chance in the early game.
You *shouldn't* be able to get a mantis, but then again it's possible I missed something somewhere. Even if you did, it'll have died fairly quickly.

Dimmr; Hell of a first post!
Yeah, I used a technique a user name sul discovered - it's the O2 masks given an inverse value.
Styles suggested I make a ship with it, I kind of challenged myself to make it balanced. I think it worked... Whatd'ya recon?
ImageImageImage
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:31 am

They're not vanilla game nanobots if that's what you're asking.

A fun run overall:

http://imgur.com/a/aqPcT

Sorry if I just missed it, but any hint to what the one simple trick is?

Ship plays in a very unique way overall, but not actually that out of balance. It was a little tense at times even with the obvious powerful stuff you get. I think the artillery times are wrong in the system description, and teleporter tip shows 20 sec at lvl 4, but that may be inevitable. Haven't noticed any other real issues, but a great many small cool touches. Very nice, thanks!

@edit Just saw the post, yes, very much a compliment. It's rare to see a ship that special that actually keeps being engaging and challenging.
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:04 pm

Awesome! Glad you had fun!

Poor Vivimord, he made it so far...
(I'd never considered how much the ship would mess up your 'most crew hired' stat...)

You actually reminded me of two things I forgot I wanted to do (rename the Dulled Glaive to Blunt Glaive, and add a new event to the flagship fight)

So, there's actually two one simple tricks, but one of them you probably won't notice unless you go into the code.
The one I refer to in the opening post is to do with the crew.
ImageImageImage
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:40 pm

Wow, you're right, 61. I dismissed quite a few of them, although they weren't actually dying nearly as much as one might think. The alternatives just kept getting better, mostly.

Anyway, about the crew, aside from the obvious, I noticed some graphical sorcery with the colors, not sure if that's what you mean.. Or are you talking about cleverly replacing multiple events? There was actually a thread about it not long ago, but I think OP gave up..
On the same subject, I noticed that clicking the blue shadow option would sometimes deprive you of double rewards (from protected civilian ships and such), but clicking that would actually still give you a chance for a shadow.. That was kinda weird, not sure if that's on purpose.