[SHIP][AE] Obsidian Bomber: The Paragonyx [v03.2]

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Gencool

Re: [SHIP][AE] Obsidian Bomber: The Paragonyx

Postby Gencool » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:46 pm

Thankyou very much!

I did remember the Obsidian Cruiser while making this. I think it's different enough though, right?

Yeah - I like to exploit the bugs. I guess it's the road less trodden, and it usually spits out something fun.
((thinking about it, this is probably my most 'normal' ship mod. the rooms are the right size and systems aint layered or nothin'!))

Speaking of which - quick v002 update to work around a couple of bugs that Styles and elijah reminded me of;
Players now can't mis-spend on upgrading the Artillery, and the restart button's been removed.
Last edited by Gencool on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:20 pm

Gencool wrote:Sorry; the shieldlessness and low hull are kind of part of the package.

Ah, now it makes sense about the low hull. Yes, the ship would be a tank with shields; and I do believe it could take down the Flagship. And it's fine that you don't do art requests.

Oh, and I think you should totally make crystal crew sprites that match the ship's color. That would make it even better.
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
Check out the details here.
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:55 pm

Ok, I caved and tried to fix the event damage thing.
Can't seem to get it working.

I found an event that deals 3 damage, so I've been crash-reloading it.
This is the current script I have (duplicated for every event file):

Code: Select all

<mod:findLike type="eventList">
   <mod:findLike type="event">
      <mod:findLike type="damage">  <mod:selector amount="1" />  <mod:setAttributes amount="0" system="random" effect="random" />  </mod:findLike> 
     <mod:findLike type="damage">  <mod:selector amount="2" />  <mod:setAttributes amount="0" system="random" effect="random" />  </mod:findLike> 
     <mod:findLike type="damage">  <mod:selector amount="3" />  <mod:setAttributes amount="0" system="random" effect="random" />  </mod:findLike> 
      <mod:findLike type="choice">
            <mod:findLike type="damage">  <mod:selector amount="1" />  <mod:setAttributes amount="0" system="random" effect="random" />  </mod:findLike> 
         <mod:findLike type="damage">  <mod:selector amount="2" />  <mod:setAttributes amount="0" system="random" effect="random" />  </mod:findLike> 
         <mod:findLike type="damage">  <mod:selector amount="3" />  <mod:setAttributes amount="0" system="random" effect="random" />  </mod:findLike> 
                  </mod:findLike>

But I still take 3 damage every time. Thoughts anyone?
((I hate coding events -_-))

elijahdb wrote:
Gencool wrote:Sorry; the shieldlessness and low hull are kind of part of the package.

Oh, and I think you should totally make crystal crew sprites that match the ship's color. That would make it even better.

heh.
Last edited by Gencool on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:33 am

Gencool wrote:But I still take 3 damage every time. Thoughts anyone?

I probably don't have any idea what I'm talking about, but is it possible you should be using <mod:findName> instead of <mod:findLike>? Could it be a problem with the tag at all?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
NarnKar

Re: [SHIP][AE] Obsidian Bomber: The Paragonyx [v02]

Postby NarnKar » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:11 am

Game-glitching, concept-based (balance unknown), restrictions on systems, new art--even the double artillery--it feels like a mod I would have made, heh. That's totally my style :D
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:10 pm

Chrono:

Thanks for trying, but I'm fairly sure findName is for searching tags by their name (like finding a specific ship or augment), where findLike is a broader search...

Narn:

I've always loved your mods, Narn, so I've probably taken a lot of inspiration from you over the years.
That, and I love frigates and game glitching, too.
Definitely taking the compliment ^^
ImageImageImage
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:39 pm

Gencool wrote:I mean, it's just a re-colour of the Crystal Bomber

Yeah, re-colour or not, its gorgeous. Well done!

Gencool wrote:Oh, and I think you should totally make crystal crew sprites that match the ship's color. That would make it even better.
I'd love that too, would fit since the mod is designed to be used on its own anyway.
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:27 pm

Thankyou Sleeps! Always appreciated.

It's designed to work as a standalone, but it should work just fine with any other mod.
Only thing is it shouldn't be loaded if you're wanting to pilot a different ship (although a stealth ship could be fun, maybe?)

Spoiler: You know how I love my little secrets in mods? - they've actually had additional colours since v001 ^^
ImageImageImage
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:45 pm

Gencool wrote:Ok, I caved and tried to fix the event damage thing.
Can't seem to get it working.

I found an event that deals 3 damage, so I've been crash-reloading it.
This is the current script I have (duplicated for every event file):

But I still take 3 damage every time. Thoughts anyone?
((I hate coding events -_-))

This seems to work fine for me in the XML sandbox (although I don't think there's much need for all the type="event" etc. stuff, you can just <mod:findLike> most of the time if there are no conflicts), what is the actual event? Or have you edited the code here and it is correct now?

And by crash reloading, what do you mean? Coud it be affecting your tests? It's generally more reliable to put the event in start_beacon, I think.

Finally, htere are also some events with 4 or 5 damage, so keep that in mind.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:56 am

So I was doing a test run of this ship and I tacked on a few extra mods like the healing in a vacuum and the one where the crew moves instantly...

I'm not sure if CRAZE did anything to Rock pirate ships or the whatnot but I encountered a Rock Pirate Ship and it took zero damage from my shots. Systems were fine and could be disabled so I wasn't stuck trying to somehow kill the enemy crew and their Clone Bay through fire but well yeah, there's some ships out there still using Rock Plating and it's breaking my immersion that these pirates have the same sort of hull I do!

I want my immersion back dammit! I don't know why I want it just that I do!

EDIT: I'll see how it goes in a Rock sector and see if it's a thing CRAZE did.
EDIT 2: Rock ships burn real good. Oh and they take damage real good too. So yeah it's Rock Pirates.
EDIT Numero tre: ASB shots ignore Rock Plating as well as Zoltan Supershields (but we knew that one already). You cannot tank the Rebel Fleet, so yeah might want to let people know that the Rebel Fleet cheats :P
Systems remained intact just fine though. But something certainly took out 6 points of hull and it wasn't a random event.