Deepspace Delux EP DIY Integration Mod 1.1

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Deepspace Delux EP DIY Integration Mod 1.1

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:34 pm

Download Deepspace Delux EP DIY Integration Mod 1.1 (MediaFire)
Does not include actual music. See instructions bellow. Install final mod file with Slipstream Mod Manager.

What is this?
This DIY mod template allows you to integrate Deepspace Delux into FTL, without redestributing the music itself. Deepspace Delux is a neat little EP by Ben Prunty (the creator of the original FTL sountrack). It was inspired by his previous work on the game's music. Here is what he had to say about it:

In September of 2015 I had a lull between projects and, on a whim, decided to make some unofficial FTL music. The result is this EP. Three pieces, complete with Explore and Battle versions, for your deep space listening enjoyment. The three pieces, played in order, imply a story.

The cover art was made by me, with some help from famed indie team Studio Miniboss. The photograph is from NASA's Apollo 9 mission. NASA, of course, had no part in the creation of this EP.

I hope you enjoy this music in your own explorations. Thank you to all of my fans worldwide.

The interesting thing about the EP is that it includes same-length explore and battle tracks of the three themes it features. It is therefore perfectly suited for being integrated into the game, both because of its stylistic proximity to the original OST as well as because of it's separated explore and battle tracks.

However, the album is a commercial release and obviously we can't just redistribute other peoples licensed music, especially considering that it is made by an artist who enjoys great respect in the FTL community. This mod aims to give people that purchased the EP a straight forward way to integrate the music into the game. It's basically a mod template that requires you to add the music files before it becomes functional. You'll obviously need to own Deepspace Delux EP for this to work.

I also reached out to Ben and inquired whether he'd be interested in packaging a ready-to-use mod file right with the band-camp download, he declined on the ground that neither he nor the devs see the EP as an official part of the game and therefore can't support it as such. So this DIY mod is the closes you'll get to integrating the tracks into the game right now.

How do I use it?

This is what you have to do in order to integrate your Deepspace Delux EP music into the mod template and then into the game:

Step 1
Purchase Deepspace Delux EP from Bandcamp.

Step 2
Download the music in .ogg format. Bandcamp allows you to choose the file format on the download page.

Step 3
Download the Deepspace Delux EP DIY Integration Mod from this thread. Extract it.

Step 4
Put the six Deepspace Delux tracks into the /audio/music folder of the DIY mod.

Step 5
Select the audio, data and mod-appendix folder in the DIY mod and compress them into .zip format, using compression software of your choice.

Step 6
Rename the .zip file ending of the compressed mod file into .ftl. Your mod is ready to use now and can be patched in using the mod manager as usual.

The songs will use their respective explore and battle tracks and can be heard in the following sectors:

Apollo:
Track 2 in Zoltan controlled sectors and Zoltan homeworlds.

Dark Flow:
Track 2 in Mantis controlled sectors and Mantis homeworlds.

Black Hole Entity:
Track 2 in Rock controlled sectors and Rock homeworlds.

I was very conflicted on where to actually place the files. In the end I decided to use them across sectors that have few tracks to begin with. If you have any feedback in that regard I'd be happy to hear it.
Have fun!
liquidmetalrob

Re: Deepspace Delux EP DIY Integration Mod

Postby liquidmetalrob » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:29 am

I can't believe no one has said anyone thing about this mod!
Well, I want to say thank you. I'm playing with this mod now and listening to some great new music in a Zoltan sector.
For anyone who's interested in using this mod I want to let you know what I found when I recently tried installing it for the second time on a new computer.
It seems that now Ben Prunty has slightly changed the filenames for the Deep Space Deluxe EP when you download them now versus what they used to be. This means that now when you download the album you get "Ben Prunty - Deep Space Deluxe EP - 01 Apollo (Explore)" but it used to be "Ben Prunty Music - Deep Space Deluxe EP - 01 Apollo (Explore)". The mod is still expecting the filenames to include the "Music" part and so if you install the mod as it comes it won't work anymore, so you have to go in a rename the ogg files so it will work again. Hope that helps.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:19 am

Thanks for the heads up, can you do me a favour and PM me the exact current file names for all the songs? I'll fix the mod download then.
liquidmetalrob

Postby liquidmetalrob » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:50 am

It won't let me send a PM. "We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature."
You just need to delete "Music" from each filename so they all start like this one "Ben Prunty - Deep Space Deluxe EP - 01 Apollo (Explore)".
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:31 am

liquidmetalrob wrote:It won't let me send a PM. "We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature."

You need some thing like a minimum of 10 posts to be able to PM. I guess it's sorta like how you need a min of 10 reputation on stackexchange to answer certain questions.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:29 am

liquidmetalrob wrote: won't let me send a PM. "We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature."
You just need to delete "Music" from each filename so they all start like this one "Ben Prunty - Deep Space Deluxe EP - 01 Apollo (Explore)".
Ok but how do the numbers progress? Can you just post the file-names here then?
liquidmetalrob

Postby liquidmetalrob » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:17 pm

It's easier to just post the edited file that needs to be reinserted into the mod. I use the "sounds.xml.append" file as it is here and it works fine.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/iyu0mgih0 ... xml.append
Sleeper Service

Re: Deepspace Delux EP DIY Integration Mod 1.1

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:11 pm

Thanks, mod download has been updated to directly work with the current version of the album.
fed officer NICK

Postby fed officer NICK » Sun May 28, 2017 10:51 am

I have tried to get the mod to function but as i'm writing this i cannot get it to work. Have i done something wrong when i installed it?
fed officer NICK

Postby fed officer NICK » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:05 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Thanks, mod download has been updated to directly with the current version of the album.

BTW does it work with captains editon, i really want to find out. :D