[SHIP] [AE] Montauk

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
stylesrj

Re: [SHIP] [AE] Montauk

Postby stylesrj » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:32 pm

Chrono Vortex wrote:Hope you didn't record anything yet, I tried to get these done as soon as I could.

Haven't done anything of the sort. I should make it a habit to try before I record blind, just to iron out all the bugs.

Also, is there a CE-friendly version with the cloaking sounds? :D

EDIT: As for airlocks, while it makes sense not to have airlocks in rooms with systems most of the time, I really find it annoying when you have to vent out several rooms because random events decided to throw a Mantis swarm into the Engine Room and by the time you have flushed them out, the Engines are in very bad shape to escape the solar flare/pulsar/BS missile.
But I'm sure several Vanilla ships did the same thing too. Like the Mantis B. Although in that case, it's a funeral barge... for the enemy.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:42 pm

A few ships have doors to the outside in system rooms. The Red Tail (as you said) and Basilisk have doors in 2x2 "main system" rooms, and the Noether's door system is in its rear airlock. A few ships (Both Crystals and the Adjudicator come to mind) have airlocks in hallways, which I also find odd and try to avoid.

I agree, though, that if you CAN avoid it, you should.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:08 am

I hate to be that guy who wants ships nerfed but on second thought about the ship's firepower, the Obelisk fires too rapidly.
While not ridonkulous like the Kodiak's Ion Cannon (before it got changed) it's still able to zap up to 3 rooms on most ships.

Most of my combat scenarios went like this:

Regular Combat:
1) Enemy sighted!
2) Guns charge up.
3) Enemy fires Missile (always a missile)
4) Cloak through for 10 seconds, fire laser.
5) Shields down, zap Shields (or Weapons)
6) Enemy guns are on charge, laser ready. Hit weapons
7) Ship now easy meat or destroyed. No damage to me.

Drone ship:
1) Enemy sighted!
2) Guns charge up.
3) Beam Drone about to fire (always a Beam Drone)
4) Cloak through for 10 seconds, fire laser.
5) Shields down, zap Drones, grab Shields in the mix (because they're usually close together)
6) Beam Drone no longer works, ship now easy meat or destroyed. No damage to me.

Whereas if I played the Stealth B:
1) Enemy sighted!
2) Guns charge up.
3) Enemy fires.
4) Cloak through for 10 seconds.
5) Missile/laser misses.
6) Enemy beam charged once Cloak wears off.
7) Ohgodohgodohgodohgodohgodohgodohgodohgod, please don't hit Weapons...
8) Weapons hit avoided. Enemy laser ready to fire again.
9) Ohgodohgodohgodohgodohgodohgodohgodohgod, please don't hit Weapons...
10) Phew! Another miss. Glaive Beam charged and...
11) Enemy beam hits Weapons and lights it on fire.
12) FUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFU!
13) Restart.

If it was facing a Drone Ship, it would be:

1) Encounter Beam and Beam Drone
2) Get torn apart before Glaive Beam is one quarter charged.
3) Restart.

There is a significant difference there.

So the Obelisk sort of removes the tension I get when flying a Stealth ship, considering it does 2 damage rather than 1, which in early sectors is enough to disable anything on an enemy ship. Plus Stealth Weapons mean I don't have to wait for my ship to reveal itself before firing, giving me maximum potential to wreck the enemy before they can shoot me.

Even the Halberd Beam leaves just enough time to feel the tension of hoping that the next shot doesn't destroy your guns.

Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, I dunno.
Also, is it just me or does the Nod Laser start fires very easily?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:36 pm

I made a video run showing off how OP the Montauk can be in CE.

https://youtu.be/2rvW-R7-Thc
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:01 pm

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've been without internet for a few days. After watching that video I decided to bump up the charge times a little.

stylesrj wrote:I hate to be that guy who wants ships nerfed but on second thought about the ship's firepower, the Obelisk fires too rapidly. Also, is it just me or does the Nod Laser start fires very easily?

I don't mind the criticism at all, it's helpful since I don't get opportunities to play test my ships very often. And yes, the fire chance on the nod laser is about 30% if I remember correctly.

Is anybody else having the problem with the firing sequence for the obelisk or is that just me?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:32 pm

In the video, I did have some timing issues with the Obelisk when facing the Flagship. I'd fire the laser and then the Obelisk shortly afterwards only for the Obelisk to fire a few seconds after the lasers impacted and the enemy shields are back up.

The lasers may need the fire chance reduced to 10% (consistent with dual lasers, etc) considering how easy it is to light up enemy ships.

A few ideas:

Change the Artillery to the Cluster Missile. Make it sort of like the Fed C Flak Cannon, except with some shield piercing (maybe one layer). Either that or the Chemical Missile (pierces all shields, does massive crew damage and locks the room down and a hull breach. Maybe 2 hull damage).

The GDI Kodiak could be altered too. The Artillery could be the Ion Cannon. What replaces it? Firestorm Cannon. Rapid-fire, doesn't damage shields, looks like a ball of fire and lights the enemy ship ablaze.
Either that or a Firestorm Defense Drone (can Defense Drones use Beams to shoot down projectiles? If not, fireballs again)

The EMP Cannon could be a rare weapon you buy in stores or maybe something the Forgotten use. If you're planning on their ship.