FTL Equal Opportunity Employment 1.0

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

FTL Equal Opportunity Employment 1.0

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:15 am

(as in equal opportunity to die a horrible space death I guess)

Download FTL Equal Opportunity Employment 1.0 (MediaFire)
Install with Slipstream Mod Manager.

What is this?
As people pointed out on steam, the game actually favours dudes over ladies when spawning human crew, due to many more male names being present in the game files. For example its extremely unlikely to "roll" a Kestrel with three ladies, while an all-dude Kestrel is pretty common. It is of course possible to customize crew and change the sex yourself, but the described game behaviour also causes fewer ladies to appear in the entire gameworld, like for example in shops or aboard ships you encounter. This mod equalizes the rates at which human guys and gals appear in the game by evening out the amounts of possible names for each.

New names it is?
Yep, this is also a quite extensive names mod at the same time, containing about 500 new names for sisters and bros. One thing to consider when making this was that all the other factions will also spawn with the new names, regardless of which human sex they would normally apply too - But I wanted to avoid spawning a lot of aliens that have familiar human names which are associated with certain a particular sex. What to do about that?
My base assumption was that a lot of people that play FTL are English native speakers, so I used mostly names that do not originate from that language.
In a perfect world it would be possible to selectively create name lists for each faction, with custom names based on fictional languages for each. But as this is impossible, "foreign" human names are the best thing I can do right now. Well, at least without writing up hundreds of fictional generic alien names myself, but I'm definitely too lazy for that. I instead relied on this site :D.

Enjoying you free game content? Want to show your appreciation and support my work?
R4V3-0N

Re: FTL Equal Opportunity Employment 1.0

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:11 pm

I love the image you used to show your mod.

It's also about time we get a mod for something like this.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Estel

Postby Estel » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:24 pm

Considering that CE already added many, many names, is this mod compatible or even required, if using CE? Maybe CE got equalized already?

Cheers,
/Estel
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:06 pm

Yep, this mod is already integrated into CE. Running it in addition to CE won't change anything really and isn't necessary.
CyanMargh

Postby CyanMargh » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:28 am

какая разница, если обычно их переименовывают в "engine", "shields" и т.п. :)
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:00 am

CyanMargh wrote:какая разница, если обычно их переименовывают в "engine", "shields" и т.п. :)
( what's the difference if they are usually renamed "engine", "shields", etc. :) )

the primary function of this mod is that equalizes the male-to-female ratio to 50/50. the ratio of male names to female names is equal to the chance a human crewman will be male or female. in vanilla there are so many more male names, and as a result, males show up way more frequently. vanilla is like 1960s Star Trek whereas this is more like Star Trek DS9 or Voyager. this just also has the side-effect that more female names are needed, and then so why not also add more names in general while you're at it? ;)

as said in the "What is this?" section :roll:
Sleeper Service wrote:As people pointed out on steam, the game actually favours dudes over ladies when spawning human crew, due to many more male names being present in the game files. For example its extremely unlikely to "roll" a Kestrel with three ladies, while an all-dude Kestrel is pretty common. It is of course possible to customize crew and change the sex yourself, but the described game behaviour also causes fewer ladies to appear in the entire gameworld, like for example in shops or aboard ships you encounter. This mod equalizes the rates at which human guys and gals appear in the game by evening out the amounts of possible names for each.
and the "New names it is?" section :roll:
Sleeper Service wrote:Yep, this is also a quite extensive names mod at the same time, containing about 500 new names for sisters and bros.