So, I know a few people still use this (lots of lovely images on reddit - thank you all so much!)
As far as I know, the mod works fine, but I've been away for a while and there are one or two requests/problems that users have found since I've been gone.
If there is still a calling for it, I will happily release another update once my current project is complete.
Crew Diversity v001
Latest Download Link:
Wassup you lot? I've been away for a while and I'm going to be pretty busy for the next few months, so I figured I'd blast this out tonight-
A working, if not totally complete, edition of Crew Diversity for FTL.
What Is It?
For some reason, I like to get to know my crew before I send them to their inevitable deaths.
Using new code from the Advanced Edition, I pieced together a mod that would help give each crew member even more personality, by making each one look unique.
The main aspect of this mod is to add new visual elements to the beings you meet across the galaxy:
- Skin tone (to a much higher degree than vanilla)
- Hair and eye colour (where applicable)
- Clothing (including new threads for some non-humans)
- Bodytype (Check out those rockmen!)
- Prop and Effect colours
Each race has several of these attributes, which are randomised for each individual, and certain attributes are 'rarer' than others.
As part of making the mod not interfere with game readability, the normal outlines of each crew member have been replaced with 'Selection Discs'. Your crew are Yellow, or Green when selected, whilst the enemy are marked with Red.
Personally, I've found this also helps me keep track of fights with more accuracy than the default outline.
Lore Building and New Animations:
The act of adding new elements meant that I could experiment a bit with the existing lore of the races.
The biggest change is that Zoltans now look much more powerful - pushing them away from recoloured humans and towards beings of pure energy (also heavily inspired by some of the great concept art already out there).
There are also new phenotypes of Mantis and Slug, and a greater range of age and ethnicity with humans (bordering on Star Trek levels).
How To Use It:
The download link is currently on Dropbox:
You'll need Slipstream to run it, as it uses Append files.
It should work with any mod, however it will overwrite any changes to crew stats or images (so things like altered costs, or the crew portrait mods, will be reset to vanilla values or plain overwritten, respectively)
If playing with CE, load this second, as otherwise Crew'D will have pretty much no effect.
When in-game, you should notice the difference straight away.
In the hanger, you can also hit 'Customize' under your starting crew, and flick through a never-ending heap of alternate character skins, although it make take a while to find one you're looking for.
So, since this is a rush job, I haven't got everything I want done.
- Crystal and Lanius are still completely Vanilla (although they *do* have selection discs)
- Engi edits are currently restricted to eye colour, as I haven't had time to do anything cooler
- Certain colours are a tad garish, or don't work together, sorry about that but it's pretty tricky to test this stuff, but give me a shout if you spot anything that doesn't work
- Some of the characters have alternate animations I was experimenting with, and occasionally things won't line up perfectly because of this. Let me know if you notice anything glaring!
- I know some people may like a version without the new Zoltans, but I personally love them, and I havn't made the modifications for the default version yet.
- There's still a load of stuff I'd like to add. Maybe soon.
That's it for now!
Hope you guys enjoy this - leave me comments on any bugs you find or stuff you'd like to see, and hopefully I'll get another chunk of free time soon to do a v002!