Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Twinge

Re: Twinge's Balance Mod: Updated for Advanced Edition!

Postby Twinge » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:35 pm

Version 2.0.0 released. Changes:

* The Flagship Construction fight is now a little harder and no longer rewards 5 free drone parts.
* Flak Gun rarity 2->3 (1->3 overall)
* Heavy Ion renamed Heavy Ion Stunner and given an 8-second stun.
* Fixed a bug with Hacking blue options and the pirate smuggler escaping.
* Nearly all Hacking blue options now require a drone part to use.
* Reduced the reward from scrapping debris from the dilapidated space station, and improved the rewards for investigating.
* Anti-Personnel Drones can now appear on Engi Bombers, and their max crew has been reduced from 6 to 5.
* Chain Ion Stun Chance 0%->20% (for 3 seconds)
FTL Tips & Tricks Video Series

Catch my stream on Twitch

Improve game balance, fix bugs, and have more decisions: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:33 pm

Twinge wrote:* Heavy Ion renamed Heavy Ion Stunner and given an 8-second stun.

But it does not look like a stunner! :o
Care to use these then? ;)

slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:30 am

Well, there went any sort of accountability for the AE toggle. I jest, but this is fine too. I was wondering how long the heavy stun effect was going to be for, since the weapon appears as its own separate entity from the base Heavy Ion in CE and Insurrection. I can't recall off the top of my head how long it was in CE but in Ins., I think I had it at 10 seconds (but in post-rememberance, its cooldown was increased to 15 seconds. Seeing this, I might have gone a bit far with that one.

And for some reason, I see that graphic for the Heavy Stunner and remember the glows on the ready-to-fire frame being slightly different in CE. The last time I checked, at least.
Twinge

Postby Twinge » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:57 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:But it does not look like a stunner! :o
Care to use these then? ;)

Perhaps. I've avoided making any resource changes and only made data file changes for the history of the Balance Mod, but that would be clearer.

slowriderxcorps wrote:Well, there went any sort of accountability for the AE toggle.

Hah - that was out from the very beginning, or at least I never tried to avoid it. The game is AE now, and clearly was designed and balanced around its existence; I have no interest in continuing the life support of an inferior dead mode.

slowriderxcorps wrote:I was wondering how long the heavy stun effect was going to be for

This seemed like a good point where it's useful without being potentially ridiculous. I want to avoid having it chain the stun indefinitely (or close to), and it's right on the border at 8 seconds. This would not only be potentially quite strong against the AI, but it could also be really frustrating for a non-expert player.

Improve game balance, fix bugs, and have more decisions: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod
qqqbbb

Postby qqqbbb » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:44 am

When validating this mod with Slipstream mod manager it finds lots of errors.
Twinge

Postby Twinge » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:01 am

qqqbbb wrote:When validating this mod with Slipstream mod manager it finds lots of errors.

Those are XML errors that are just from FTL itself. I actually fix dozens of these but there are countless more in base FTL so they'll still show up in an XML validation. For reference, just having Slipstream validate 100% base FTL files will spit out almost 16,000 bytes of errors.

Additionally, most of the errors that do show up have actually been fixed already - I forgot to update the link on the thread for the current version. So that's done now, updated version with a few tweaks and fixes now available =)

I've still got a pretty big list of things I'd like to add, if and when I found the time and motivation.

Twinge

Re: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod: Updated for Advanced Edition!

Postby Twinge » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:00 am

Versoin 2.4.0 Released.

Tonnnns of changes since I last posted an update here back in version 2.0.0.

* Slug defaults to pilot on Fed B
* Price to swap Medbay/Clone Bay dropped to 40
* Dropped Rock A's starting missiles to 12 from 14 (Replicator does good work)
* Flak Artillery improved
* Hacking even more expensive
* Burst II & Halberd Beam cost increased slightly
* Many weak weapons cost decreased significantly, including Burst III, most missiles, and utility bombs
* Laser Charger II Cooldown per charge dropped to 4.5s from 5s
* Hull Repair Drone cost increased to 105
* Shield Overcharger cost dropped to 40, Defense II's cost down to 55
* Further decreased the cost of many of the bad augments
* Humans now cost 40 in stores
* Further improved the black market weapons deal so it's actually worth considering sometimes
* Tweaked costs for discount system upgrades from events
* No enemy ships can ever have more than Level 9 Shields now
* Reduced number of dead purely empty beacons in Starting Sector, Mantis Sectors, and Rock Sectors

The Captain

Re: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod: Updated for Advanced Edition!

Postby The Captain » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:09 am

Twinge wrote:Versoin 2.4.0 Released.

* Hacking even more expensive

Oh, the pain!

* Burst II & Halberd Beam cost increased slightly

For the Halberd an increase of 15.4% seems more than "slightly" IMO. Also on your mod website under "Overview of Important Changes," I don't see a mention of the rarity increase for the Flak Gun Mk I.

BTW, what are some examples of rarity 3 weapons, and what is the rarity of the Burst Laser Mk II?

I haven't played this latest version yet, but good work so far.
Twinge

Re: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod

Postby Twinge » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:42 am

Rarity ranges from 1 to 5. Burst Laser II is rarity 4. Rarity 3 includes things like Pegasus Missiles and Hull Beam.

Added note for the Flak I - you're right, that should be in the summary.

Tyler799

Re: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod

Postby Tyler799 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:44 am

Hey there.

Just want to talk about the Slug B, which I still feel is terrible.

It's meant to be a boarder, at least at first. However, it lacks a medbay, or a clonebay. As well, unlike Mantis ships, the crew of the Slug B don't get a 1.5x damage against crew, so they're not very effective.

If you're very lucky, early-game you'll find easy ships that only take 2 healing bursts to take down. However, as you move to sector 2 and 3, I find myself completely out of missiles. I need to spend several to board if I want, and if I don't I need to spend them on a Artemis missile launcher.

Now let's say we get unlucky and come across something tougher in Sector 2. A simple defense drone 1, and a medbay. Weapons on the enemy might be minimal at best.

What the heck are you supposed to do? Your Artemis is worthless. Your boarding isn't going to do anything while the medbay is still up.

This kind of situation is unfortunately common even in the earlier sectors.

So this is where I am with the slug B. I either manage to just barely scrape by (not running into anything that completely counters me) but run out of missiles, or I get countered and die.

And there's jack I can do about it.

If this ship had an explosive replicator or a reconstructive teleporter, I could see it being usable.

But even on EASY this ship is a nightmare to pilot. :/