This mod is designed to address balance issues in the game, making more equipment in the game worth using and increasing the quantity of interesting decisions. This mod doesn't add large amounts of additional content - instead it focuses on improving the usefulness of existing content and making the base game a better overall experience without making the overall game notably easier or harder.
Slipstream File: Balance & Bugfix Mod v3.0.6.ftl
- Fixed multiple game bugs.
- Weak weapons made relevantly cheaper or otherwise improved. Best weapons more expensive, Flak I less accurate, Flak I & Halberd less common.
- Many events tweaked, making more options actually worth considering (e.g., the black market weapons trade is far more reasonable).
- Stealth C's Shield+ Drone now requires 1 power; Engi B starts with Level 3 Piloting and Heavy Ion is buffed; Rock A starts with Explosive Replicator (with fewer missiles) and Hull Missile is buffed; Fed C starts with Repair Burst; Stealth B starts with Titanium System Casing.
- Kestrel C has been remade in an effort to make it a unique experience compared to other ships.
- Most augments improved or made cheaper. Adv. FTL Navigation & Hacking Stun removed from game. Long-Ranged Scanners cost more.
- Shield Drones now require 2 power and cost less. Fire Drone slightly weaker but only requires 2 power. Beam II Drones have been buffed slightly and are more common. Defense II and Combat II cheaper.
- It is now very difficult to bypass enemy Defense Drones with Hacking.
- System Pricing: Hacking much more expensive, Cloaking more expensive, Teleporters slightly cheaper. Many systems cheaper at the higher levels (especially Engines & Drones). Cheaper to switch Medbay and Clone Bay.
- Missiles cheaper. Humans, Rockmen, and Mantis cheaper.
- The Rebel Flagship has lower level Hacking, Mind Control, & Engines when playing on Easy difficulty.
- Enemy ships can no longer have Tier 5 Shields. Rock ships have worse Cloaking but can equip Swarm Missiles.
- Reduced the odds of free crew from events slightly and tweaked many event scrap gains up or down appropriately.
- Fewer dead beacons in Sector 1, Mantis Sectors, Rock Sectors, and Abandoned Sectors.
- Engi are slightly less common, and you get less free stuff in Engi Sectors.
- Various quality of life tweaks: easier beam aiming, more consistent event option ordering, better default weapon/crew positions, more informative text, etc.
- Large number of punctuation and grammar fixes. Event phrasing tweaked to be more consistent and clear.
- Fixed visuals on all ships, including shield positioning/size, cloaking lines, and system graphics.
There are several other changes not listed here; see http://www.it-is-law.com/ftl-balance/index.php for a full change list.
The changes to this mod are very extensive and not designed around compatibility with other mods. I suggest running this mod by itself, but if combined with other mods it should probably be set to the first slot (thus getting overwritten by other mods).
It should work fine alongside mods that only change visuals - for example, the High-Def Backgrounds Mod should cause no conflicts. I am also fine with anyone using my work as part of another mod as long as credit is given.