[Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel v1.3.0

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
rannl
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:13 pm

Re: [Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel v0.42

Postby rannl » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:23 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:The Randtrel did not change airlock positions that much, but here that problem that comes with it is getting a little more obvious: floor image and airlock positions don't match. Don't know how much this will bother people. Easiest fix would probably be removing the floor image altogether.


Good point Sleepy.
Not sure about this one. Personally I'm not bothered by the floor image, since when the airlock is opened, there is no wall line on the floor image, making it look like an actual opening.
If this is an issue I'll certainly find a solution. So comment away and we'll see how this is resolved.
Russian Rockman
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:43 pm

Re: [Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel v0.42

Postby Russian Rockman » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:22 pm

Nice job on the Randorus ;)
So how does that work? Is it pulling from a different pool altogether? Just from a different pool for the layouts? ...


About the floor images and airlocks. You could...
A.) Actually create different floor images to go with the different layouts (might not be too much work)
B.) Or just remove the openings on the floor image where the AirLocks went in vanilla
I favor option B.

I noticed that you're keeping the room images the same for all the layouts. It's quite impressive that you were able to create so many different layouts while still keeping the room images the same. It might be very useful though to create some way to change the room images along with the different layouts. It would allow for a lot more flexibility. ;)
User avatar
kartoFlane
Posts: 1470
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: [Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel v0.42

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:20 am

I've been considering writing a simple algorithm that would generate a floor image for a specified room layout, for use in my editor... Seeing as floor images follow rather simple rules, it should be rather easy to do. I guess it could come in handy here?
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
rannl
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:13 pm

Re: [Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel v0.42

Postby rannl » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:38 am

kartoFlane wrote:I've been considering writing a simple algorithm that would generate a floor image for a specified room layout, for use in my editor... Seeing as floor images follow rather simple rules, it should be rather easy to do. I guess it could come in handy here?


More then handy KF. If you could also add the option to set the width of the floor margins (i.e. the floor "borders", which can be seen outside of the rooms), then the layout issue could be solved elegantly.
rannl
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:13 pm

Re: [Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel/Randorus v0.5

Postby rannl » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:38 pm

Randtrel 0.5 is out, along with the Randorus, the randomized engi A.

Changelog 0.5:
* Added a randomized engi A cruiser.
* Generated the .exe file via a better JVM recognizing tool.

Edit :
Russian Rockman wrote:Nice job on the Randorus ;)
So how does that work? Is it pulling from a different pool altogether? Just from a different pool for the layouts? ...


About the floor images and airlocks. You could...
A.) Actually create different floor images to go with the different layouts (might not be too much work)
B.) Or just remove the openings on the floor image where the AirLocks went in vanilla
I favor option B.

I noticed that you're keeping the room images the same for all the layouts. It's quite impressive that you were able to create so many different layouts while still keeping the room images the same. It might be very useful though to create some way to change the room images along with the different layouts. It would allow for a lot more flexibility. ;)


The engi ship has its own pool. I'm still thinking about how everything should be grouped, but things are looking more and more solid.

Layouts and room images are definantly another TODO item, but I wouldn't want to go out of the way and lose the vanilla feel to each ship. Each ship has 6 layouts other then the original, so playing around with the vanilla rooms has its limits. I agree wth option B for the layouts, hopefully KartoFlane will cook something which will help out.
Russian Rockman
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:43 pm

Re: [Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel/Randorus v0.5

Postby Russian Rockman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:46 am

rannl wrote:The engi ship has its own pool. I'm still thinking about how everything should be grouped, but things are looking more and more solid.

Layouts and room images are definantly another TODO item, but I wouldn't want to go out of the way and lose the vanilla feel to each ship. Each ship has 6 layouts other then the original, so playing around with the vanilla rooms has its limits. I agree wth option B for the layouts, hopefully KartoFlane will cook something which will help out.

You know that I also agree that the layouts shouldn't differ too much from the vanilla layouts. However, being able to have different room images would just loosen up the creation of layouts. Because you could place doors in different places and such, the constraints of keeping the same room images limits my creativity, but I'm impressed you were able to create so many different layouts.
rannl
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:13 pm

Re: [Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel/Randorus v0.5

Postby rannl » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:02 pm

Russian Rockman wrote: However, being able to have different room images would just loosen up the creation of layouts. Because you could place doors in different places and such, the constraints of keeping the same room images limits my creativity, but I'm impressed you were able to create so many different layouts.


Well,I'll think of something. Replacing the room images will require some work, since I can't overwrite the images (will mess up the non randomized ships using those images), and replacing the attribute holding the room animation name is currently not supported by the tool. Dynamic floor layouts might be easier to use but this will also need some support from the tool.

Besides, I bet I can squeeze in a few more layouts with what I've got right now ;)

Here's a question for you guys : Would you like to see support for CEs Endless Loot Mod ? There could be thousands of possible random weapon/drone configurations with EL.....
User avatar
NarnKar
Posts: 778
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:24 pm
Location: this forum
Contact:

Re: [Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel/Randorus v0.5

Postby NarnKar » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:08 pm

I can't run EL consistently, and I know plenty of other people can't. Will your player ship randomizer require the EL library, or can it be operated independently of the standard EL mod?
User avatar
kartoFlane
Posts: 1470
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: [Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel/Randorus v0.5

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:07 pm

I've got a prototype ready, right now I'm working on adding rounded corners and indentations for where airlocks are supposed to go. The corner part is giving me some trouble -- I could use default function to draw rounded rectangles, but the results it produces are somewhat underwhelming... So for now I'm messing with graphs in order to construct the layout's outline and draw the corners semi-manually.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Russian Rockman
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:43 pm

Re: [Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel/Randorus v0.5

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:45 am

rannl wrote:Here's a question for you guys : Would you like to see support for CEs Endless Loot Mod ? There could be thousands of possible random weapon/drone configurations with EL.....


That sounds like a feature many people would like...

;) I would also VERY MUCH like access to that procedural generation tool that EL uses. I would like to try playing around with the prefixes myself... I thought it was going to be released to the public eventually. :roll:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests