[Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel v1.3.0

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
rannl

Re: [Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel v0.14.1

Postby rannl » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Maccasey66 wrote:thanks but all that i was able to do from that was make it open in terminal, i think that i need to be able to read write AND execute but all that it lets me do is select either just read or read and write :(

You can use the terminal to change the .sh permissions to executable, the 2nd half of this short article explains how to do so on the Mac OS.

The crystal ship is shaping out nicely. Hull images and layouts are done, and also a pool for random crystal shard types for the crystal vengence augment ;)
therealrickshaw

Postby therealrickshaw » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:16 am

I noticed there were instructions for windows and linux, but when on my mac, jar launcher doesn't bring up a GUI, nor does the Unarchiver run the .exe program. Help?
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:13 am

therealrickshaw wrote:I noticed there were instructions for windows and linux, but when on my mac, jar launcher doesn't bring up a GUI, nor does the Unarchiver run the .exe program. Help?

Read the last 2 pages, somebody asked the exact same question as you. ;)

This is why I have set up my Mac with a partitioned hard drive and I don't use the Mac OS for most games.
rannl

Postby rannl » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:41 am

Russian Rockman wrote:
therealrickshaw wrote:I noticed there were instructions for windows and linux, but when on my mac, jar launcher doesn't bring up a GUI, nor does the Unarchiver run the .exe program. Help?

This is why I have set up my Mac with a partitioned hard drive and I don't use the Mac OS for most games.

Added a note on running the tool on the Mac OS in the OP.
Executable permissions to the .sh on the mac OS have already been verified as a working solution to running the tool on mac, so if there are any problems, that's the way to go.

Crystal ship will be out in the next couple of the days.
therealrickshaw

Postby therealrickshaw » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:31 am

rannl wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:

Added a note on running the tool on the Mac OS in the OP.
Executable permissions to the .sh on the mac OS have already been verified as a working solution to running the tool on mac, so if there are any problems, that's the way to go.

I've modified the permissions in the terminal and have also tried to use the wine/ wine bottler emulator to run the .exe file (With the result that it takes me to the java download page, where I re-downloaded java and the same thing still occurred). Lastly, Ive tried to copy and paste the text from textedit to the terminal, and the result is that it can't find the .jar file. It's worth noting that despite the the changes appearing to work in terminal(read, write, and execute across the board), the inspection states it is still only read and write. I'm still looking into that one.
therealrickshaw

Postby therealrickshaw » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:20 am

Ah, and one more thing. I did try changing the .sh to a .command, and having that be executable, but it had some sort of error that I cannot begin to comprehend. Though I do appreciate the reply! :D
rannl

Postby rannl » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:57 am

therealrickshaw wrote:Ah, and one more thing. I did try changing the .sh to a .command, and having that be executable, but it had some sort of error that I cannot begin to comprehend. Though I do appreciate the reply! :D

Did you try running RandtrelGenerator.sh from the Mac terminal ?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:24 pm

@Mac troubles
From my experience trying to get my own programs to work on Macs...
  • Using chmod -R +x folder_containing_program fixes all problems with permissions
    If you're building your program with Maven or other, using filemode 0755 essentially applies the above chmod command to all matched files. (example)
  • For whatever reason it's very difficult to get Macs to use newer versions of Java. I'd suggest recompiling the program under 1.6 (requires some modifications to code -- in my case it was just getting rid of the diamond <> and NIO stuff)
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
rannl

Re: [Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel v1.0.0

Postby rannl » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:05 pm

KartoFlane : thanks for the tips, did some revalidation of the .sh file permissions on release, hopefully this sort will things out.
As for the java version, I've not heard of any issues from Mac users about trouble upgrading to 1.7. If this becomes an issue, I'll certainly consider downgrading to 1.6 (and I'll dump the generics and the NIO library usage :/).

Been somewhat busy lately, but I've finally completed the Randavais, the random crystal cruiser.

Asset pools are based on A/B builds, along with an occasional drone system, which for the CE build includes the new crystal drones.
The crystal vengeance augment is now randomly created, giving different effects to the vengence shards. Can't change the number of fired crystals or the damage they cause, but the shards might have an ionizing effect, or might cause fires, or might be especially damaging against enemy crew, for example ;) .

So it took 2 months, but finally all the player ships are represented in this tool/mod.

What's next ? I'll see about replacing B ships with randomized ships as well. The asset pools can also be extended. And finally, I can always add another build to the tool - in order to support another mod such as CE, or for something else entirely.

Suggestions are welcome as always.
Keep on FTLing!
rannl

Re: [Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel v1.0.0

Postby rannl » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:38 pm

Added a note in the OP about Biohazard063's playthroughs of Randtrel ships on youtube.

You can find the link here (from episode 84 and onwards).