[AE][SHIP] The Fishhook (Now with gibs and cloak image)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Woodledude

[AE][SHIP] The Fishhook (Now with gibs and cloak image)

Postby Woodledude » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:37 pm

Hey everyone, babby's first ship here. Well... Second, but that's beside the point.

EDIT: After a long hiatus from the forum, I've finally touched up The Fishhook, which now has the cloak image and gibs, as well as a second artillery weapon you can theoretically buy at a shop, and a slightly altered layout. I'll probably have stuff to tweak and polish yet, but for now, the ship is complete! :D Here's the *actual* new version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/55igiyc1sn2g2 ... 0.ftl?dl=0

Hasn't quite been tested as much as I'd like, just because the ship was driving me crazy. Please let me know what you think of it. :)

Here's the inside of the ship, for the curious (updated to reflect the latest version):

And the outside:

It's a Lanius vessel designed for cutting up ships, because we don't have enough of those. Comes with three custom beam weapons and a hacking module, two Lanius crew, two levels in shields, engines and piloting, a backup battery, and barely enough to run everything else, except for reactor power, which is noteably less than you need to run everything. Might be a tad overpowered, but it's also just a bit tricky to use, based on my testing. The new weapon, in case you're wondering, is an artillery flak cannon that's wildly inaccurate, but has a lot of projectiles. Here's the old version, without the cloak image and gibs and extra artillery weapon:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/scyta3so7zqi0na/The%20Fishhook.ftl

Overview of the weapons: The Fishhook now comes with two lasers, Lanius Incision Beams, which do no damage to the hull of the ship, but disable systems, injure crew, and set things on fire occasionally. It also comes with an industrial (artillery) cutting beam, which has a fairly long trail and does two points of damage to a shot, as well as causing breaches over every square it crosses. May be slightly buggy upgrade-wise, I can't tell from the brief testing I did.

You can also hopefully buy a second artillery weapon, the Scrap Exchange Vent! It's a flak cannon that has a lot of projectiles, but is wildly inaccurate. The idea being that it was modified from a port designed to exchange scrap at low speeds. Other quirks, the shots have a slow travel speed, but can't be shot down by drones.

These will probably be further refined later, but for now, I hope it makes for an interesting experience.

T̶r̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶e̶c̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶a̶m̶e̶.̶ ̶C̶a̶n̶ ̶O̶p̶e̶n̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶F̶i̶s̶h̶h̶o̶o̶k̶?̶ ̶W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶?̶

EDIT: Officially known as The Fishhook! Just sounds better, really.

And finally, thank you for your time, and tell me what you think.
Last edited by Woodledude on Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:17 am, edited 6 times in total.
META_mahn

Re: [AE][SHIP][WIP] The Can Opener/Fishhook

Postby META_mahn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:09 pm

SLICE AND DICEEEEEEEEE :twisted:
Back from the dead. After a two year hiatus.
MaxMillionare

Postby MaxMillionare » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:48 pm

finally, something different in terms of ship design, once it gets a hull image i will play this. :D
Woodledude

Postby Woodledude » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:32 am

Thank you, everyone, I'm glad you all like it. Right now I'm testing out some custom weapons for balance issues, and I'm whittling it down. I may attempt to make the hull image myself, here, as I think I'm starting to understand how most people do it... That'll probably be at least a day or two out, assuming I'm satisfied with the weapons at some point.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:48 pm

A neat ship concept, at least, in layout. You actually bothered making a floor image--way better than me (I just give up and make a ship-sized transparency layer).
If you're looking for hull images, there's a thread in the mod development forums called "the shipyard", full of free resources.

edit: removed unnecessary jackassery
Woodledude

Postby Woodledude » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:48 am

NarnKar wrote:A neat ship concept, at least, in layout. You actually bothered making a floor image--way better than me (I just give up and make a ship-sized transparency layer).
If you're looking for hull images, there's a thread in the mod development forums called "the shipyard", full of free resources.

edit: removed unnecessary jackassery

Thank you very much. IT certainly makes for interesting, if slightly tricky gameplay. You're fairly well set for the beginning, but getting any crew that require oxygen often requires a big investment beforehand, as you suddenly need to power the oxygen, which means having to deal with fires and not having doors or sensors to do so... I've just finished reworking the ship a little, which includes a new hull image, custom weapons and shifting a few rooms around, but unfortunately still no gibs, and not a proper cloak image or thumbnail. Regardless, have a look:

I'm fairly happy with how it turned out, but there's much room for improvement, so I think I'll go talk to these gentlemen you mentioned. Just browsed the thread, and there's an unfortunate lack of Lanius ships at all, much less strange ones like mine. I think I'll put in a request, and see where it goes.

I'll be updating the ship presently, so go ahead and have a look. :)
NarnKar

Re: [AE][SHIP][WIP] The Can Opener/Fishhook (Now with hull)

Postby NarnKar » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:03 am

Not gonna lie, that is a really sexy hull. Damn fine work.

I'd go with Fishhook over Can Opener, for names.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:58 am

oops double posting sorry

You said you had custom weapons on this ship? Would you mind telling us about them?
(Also, what ship does the Can Opener/Fishhook replace?)
Woodledude

Postby Woodledude » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:18 am

NarnKar wrote:oops double posting sorry

You said you had custom weapons on this ship? Would you mind telling us about them?
(Also, what ship does the Can Opener/Fishhook replace?)

Oh, of course. Thank you for the compliment, by the way, I'm glad my splice-up looks good.

The weapons consist of three beam weapons. The first two have a 10 pixel trail (far shorter than the mini-beam), have a short cooldown, and deal one damage, but also extra system damage. The other is a beam weapon that is almost guaranteed to cause a hull breach in any square it crosses, but does no damage. The ship itself replaces the Lanius A (used to replace the Crystal ship, but I figured not everyone would have it).
Estel

Postby Estel » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:55 pm

This is becoming really interesting ship - I think it's going to my (extremely small) list of custom ships that I download and treat as "canon", as soon as it gets proper gibs and cloak image.

Suggestion, thought - why custom weapons? I quite dislike the pattern that every custom ship must get a custom weapon. If you would care to release a vanilla version and CE version separately (or CE-only version, as far as it bothers me, but speaking for the right of others ;) ) you could use one of the plethora of weapons available in CE that fits your ship design (ship cutter), without running into possible balance issues (too OP when your custom weapons get paired with some types of normal weapons - really, masking weapons balanced is much harder task, than most ship creators think it is), not to mention avoiding element of immersion-breaking. It is not very "realistic" to have ship with only-one-in-galaxy weapon type, unless it really, really fits the lore. For me, this ship may act like great "one of many" lanius scavenging vessels, no much sense in it having something that no one else in galaxy can get.

/Estel