Shiny! UI Overhaul and Graphics Mod v1.0

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Russian Rockman

Shiny! UI Overhaul and Graphics Mod v1.0

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:43 am

This has nothing to do with Firefly... Sorry if I misled you. :roll: I needed a catchy name. :D

What this IS however, is a complete overhaul of FTL's UI. (And when I say "complete", I mean pretty much every single UI element in the game has been changed somehow) Also, many other graphical mods from various other talented modders have been included, check out their mods in the following post below!

Screenshots!!! :shock:
A full screenshot will not fit on this page so here are some links to my imgur albums with a ton of screenshots:
GIFs: http://imgur.com/a/jlI09?gallery#0
These are the best way to compare this mod to vanilla.
PNGs: http://imgur.com/a/yo6h0#0
Higher quality than GIFs, this is exactly what the mod will look like in game.

:) Also, 5th Horseman has been doing FTL Let's Plays with Shiny! for quite a while now.
Check out his Youtube channel for some video examples and entertainment!!!

Download Links
:!: This mod should usually be loaded after all other mods, except for custom ship mods and other graphical mods. It is designed to be compatible with most other popular mods I know about, though some patches may be required (see below).
:!: NEW!!! If you were previously using the Shiny! Vanilla Portraits Patch for CE then you will have to re-download the patch once again for Shiny! v1.0. Captain's Edition update 1.265 made some drastic changes to crew customization. In order to maintain compatibility I was required to make some some changes to the patch.
v1.0 for Vanilla: Mediafire
v1.0 for CE: Mediafire

Compatibility Patches
:!: These should be loaded directly after Shiny!
:!: These "patches" are standalone and can be installed in place of any mods they are making compatible. For example, you can install the Shiny! Detailed Crew Portraits for Vanilla .ftl file downloaded from here instead of the regular Detailed Crew Portraits .ftl file downloaded from Lord Trilobite's thread. BUT, be sure to check out the links to the original mods and give your support.
(This just makes things more simple for everyone, you don't have to download and install more than one mod, and I can ensure there is always a compatible version of those mods for Shiny!)

Detailed Crew Portraits Compatibility:
If you want to use Lord Trilobite's Detailed Crew Portraits with Vanilla Shiny!, download this patch.
Shiny! Detailed Crew Portraits for Vanilla: Mediafire
If you prefer the original Vanilla Portraits over Lord Trilobite's used in Captain's Edition, download this patch. This will also revert some of the crew customization options back to CE v1.264.
Shiny! Vanilla Portraits Patch for CE: Mediafire

Ship Greebles Graphics Mod Compatibility:
If you want to use Lord Trilobite's Ship Greebles Graphics Mod with Shiny!, download one of these patches for either Vanilla or CE.
Shiny! Ship Greebles for Vanilla: Mediafire
Shiny! Ship Greebles for CE: Mediafire

More Details
I was originally inspired by Phlake's work on FTL Remastered to finish what he had started and overhaul the vanilla UI to look more modern. I like the retro style of vanilla FTL and the fact that it was a call back to other rogue type games. However, the retro style just didn't make me feel like the Captain of a futuristic space ship so I adopted Phlake's more modern look. It sort of reminds of the UI from games like Freelancer.

Since the initial release of this mod I have made many other changes beyond just the UI. I've fixed many graphical errors from both vanilla and CE. I've also incorporated many graphical assets from several other amazing people so be sure to check their mods out as well, links are in the following post. ;)

Enjoy the mod!

Troubleshooting :shock:
Please read every comment next to the :!: icons before posting about a problem. If you post about a problem with compatibility, please include the list of your mod load order for Slipstream Mod Manager. Most compatibility problems are caused by having the wrong load order.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated!!!
Tell me if you notice any bugs/incompatibility with other mods, and tell me if you have any ideas for things that could be changed or improved. My goal is to have this mod be one of your "always on" mods. ;)

Changelog:

Code: Select all

Shiny! Update 1.0
-Lowered the glow on Lanius Player Ships
-Changes to the mount alignment on a few weapons
-Fixed some inconsistencies on a few weapon charging animations
-New firing animations added for a few weapons

Vanilla changes
-Replaced some vanilla weapon graphics with ones from liakad's diversityMod

CE changes
-Updated some CE "Hazard Warning" images to match the AE style
-Updated for compatibility with crew customization changes made in CE v1.265

Detailed Crew Portraits Patch
-Updated for compatibility with crew customization changes made in CE v1.265

Shiny! Update v0.991
-Fixed the alignment of glows on piloting room terminals

(Patch) Ship Greebles for Vanilla and CE
-Realignment of all ship greebles to better match each other and the ships' hull images (thanks to slowriderxcorps)

Shiny! Update v0.99
-Changes to several of the ship's room images and layouts; moved consoles and objects out of doors, etc.
-Realligned ALL consoles to correctly line up with crew
-Crew color (the yellow outline) given slight transparency
-ALL of scooterbaga's replacers now included
-Suns from BPAB now included, also fixed a small issue with the animation of suns from BPAB
-Integrated Background Fleet Shields add-on
-Support for the new CE Hangar Screen
-Small changes to the Fed Artillery animations
-Several other small fixes

(Patch) Ship Greebles for Vanilla and CE added

Shiny! Update v0.982
(Patch) Detailed Crew Portraits for Vanilla added
-Fixes an issue with the alignment of the outlines on several races when Shiny! is used in conjunction with Lord Trilobite's Portraits.  Install this instead of the Detailed Crew Portraits .ftl file.

Shiny! Update v0.981
CE version changes
-Fixed bugged Doors on new Kestrel A & C layouts

Shiny! Update v0.98
-Fixed alignment of Oxygen & Evade warnings
-Gibs on Stealth Cruiser's fixed
-Added sMPK's re-allignment of consoles

CE changes
-Support for new Kestrel A & C layouts
-Added Lord Trilobite's portraits back in, finally

Shiny! Update v0.97
Vanilla changes
-Small Captains Edition type font removed
-Life Support is now called Oxygen again

CE changes
-Support for new CE Hangar screen

Shiny! Update v0.96
-Crew realignment from sMPK added
-Custom projectiles for crew laser guns added (in vanilla they fired rectangles :p)
-Fixed some graphical errors with the store menu
-Fixed Lanius ship using Federation C artillery animation in CE
     Separate versions for CE and Vanilla added:
     -Vanilla version no longer includes CE ship floor layouts
     Note: CE version does not include LordTrilobite's crew portraits yet

Shiny! Update v0.951
-Fixed a few more issues with CE compatibility that slipped by me the first time

Shiny! Update v0.95
-Fixed some incompatibility issues with CE floor layouts.
-The text window has been made slightly less transparent.
-Big changes to the contrast of ALL system icons.  (They should be MUCH easier to see now)
-Hexes on the enemy targeting window are back!!!
-New enemy hull indicator with 3 sections.
-Level 1 doors changed back to vanilla look. (No metallic glimmer)
-Added artillery animations for the Federation ships.
-Even more graphical stuff from sMPK added.

Shiny! Update v0.91
-Fixed alignment of Stealth C gibs
-A bit more graphical stuff from sMPK added
-PDS projectile from Captain's Edition added

Shiny! Update v0.90
-Initial Release
Last edited by Russian Rockman on Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:10 am, edited 132 times in total.
Russian Rockman

Re: Shiny! Complete UI Overhaul v0.90 (FTL Remastered inspir

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:46 am

Credits & Mod Suggestions

This mod is designed and Highly Recommended to be used in conjunction with...

This mod was originally inspired by...
Phlake's FTL Remastered
Many assets for the UI were originally taken from Remastered.

Also, big thanks to slowriderxcorps for all of his graphical tweaks that came many months before and for being the first to expand on Phlake's work. Everything you did saved me a lot of time and gave me the motivation to finish this.

This mod has also directly integrated...
Last edited by Russian Rockman on Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:11 am, edited 24 times in total.
zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:39 am

Kudos man! that was a great mod!
I don't know howanyone could not pay attention to this... I mean, you sir, are too humble.
Last edited by zabing12 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:56 am

I'd love to see a pic or two, but there's a pretty good chance this will become my 2nd (after the crew profile pics) required always-on mod :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:54 am

Alright, time to flex some analytical muscles. Looking through this, two things come to light. One, there's no graphics for any of the Hazard warnings, though perhaps that was for consistency with CE warnings. Most importantly however is the graphics for the StealthC. I can tell these came from an earlier build of the sM, because I had to fix a glitch caused by the fact that the orientation of the gibs was not the right way around. Just flip them all to be the same as the other two Stealth cruisers and you should be alright.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:58 pm

slowriderxcorps wrote:Alright, time to flex some analytical muscles. Looking through this, two things come to light. One, there's no graphics for any of the Hazard warnings, though perhaps that was for consistency with CE warnings. Most importantly however is the graphics for the StealthC. I can tell these came from an earlier build of the sM, because I had to fix a glitch caused by the fact that the orientation of the gibs was not the right way around. Just flip them all to be the same as the other two Stealth cruisers and you should be alright.

Thanks slowy!!! I'm glad to hear from you. Yeah, I did not include the Remastered warnings or make any new ones in order to retain consistency with CE. And honestly I like the vanilla ones better actually. ;) They look pretty good, and the fact that they are different makes them stand out.

I'll fix the Stealth C issue, thanks for catching that one. :mrgreen: Tell me if you notice anything else also. Tv hanks for letting me use some parts from your mod. The floor images work great with everything else.

I hope you like that I finally finished what you started on completing the Remastered UI. :ugeek:

@Everyone Thanks guys, I'm glad you like what I've done. Tell me if you notice anything or if you have any other comments or constructive criticism, I can take whatever you all throw at me. 8-) And screenshots will be up soon... Hopefully. :roll:
zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:56 pm

I would help, but I don't know how to take and post a screenshot on a forum. Please tell me.
Estel

Postby Estel » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:33 pm

Subscribing, but - not that I don't trust you - screenshots of this mod components are a must. You know, it's like posting BPAB without screenshots... I would like to know what I'm into, before downloading relatively huge file. Amongst random messages about floor tiles and stealth's C, I don't get it - what it is? UI replacer, ship graphic replacer, everything replacer? Details, bullet points, screens... I want to love this mod, really I do! I'm just too afraid to download without checking first, as I strongly disliked new ship graphics that someone made earlier (or was this FTL Remastered itself?...). All ships seemed strange and very artificial (with gradients misuse, etc). Well, call me conservative in those matters ;)

/Estel
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:56 am

zabing12 wrote:I would help, but I don't know how to take and post a screenshot on a forum. Please tell me.

To take a screenshot (In Windows):
Get what you want on the screen. Doesn't have to be full screen, just on the screen.
Hold ALT and hit PRINTSCREEN (Usually up near the backspace key)
Open up MS Paint (You can hit Start and just type mspaint in windows 7 or later. Maybe even Vista but ew. Vista)
With ms paint up, hold down CTRL and hit V.
Save the file.

To post it online:
Open an imgur account (I just use my google account).
Upload the file using those instructions.
On the page you uploaded it to, there will be instructions for what to post on a forum, follow those.

(My imgur instructions are a bit sparse because I don't use it all that often. I'm going by vague memories but it should be enough to get you going)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:53 pm

At least until some official pictures materialise, here are a few quick pictures I was able to take with the tools I have access to:
The Hangar.
The Stats page.
In-Game.