[SHIP] Obsidian Cruiser v1.3

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Kieve

Re: [MOD] Obsidian Cruiser v1.1

Postby Kieve » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:34 am

Grognak wrote:Glad you found a fix for that- the white border drove me a little nutty. :P

As to sounds, try googling public domain sound effects. You might find something good there.

You are my hero. :oops:
Singularity Projector has appropriate SFX now.

I began work on the second weapon (working name "Disruptor") before work today. As a replacement for the Burst Laser Mk II, I'm thinking it'll require 3 power, 3x shots 1dmg each, and pierce one shield. Slightly higher charge time, maybe only by 1s or so (negligible once your crewmen start gaining skill). As a general rule, I like the notion that "Obsidian"-grade weapons have high power requirements and equally high damage potential. Also, as a subset of the Crystal tech, similar shield-piercing capabilities make sense.

I've bumped the starting power up to 9, which makes the S.Proj a little more viable in the beginning, without having to sacrifice two other systems to power it.
I'm also contemplating adding some more (empty) rooms and trying to space out the existing ones a little. Having everything clustered together is handy for repair purposes but leaves the ship itself incredibly vulnerable to beams or other widespread damage. And they almost always seem to find my O2 room. It's like some weird magnet for enemy fire...

Technically a 1.2 update is feasible right now, but since I seem to be on a roll with progress here, I've been holding off another release until everything is in order. Hopefully I can get everything to 100% by tomorrow and call this mod "finished" as I've been struck by a number of other ideas I'd like to explore and I fear I may be wearing myself out over a single ship.
So for anyone still reading this far, what would you like to see next from me?
-Obsidian-themed Enemy/Neutral (NPC) ships
-Obsidian "weapons pack" expansion for the Cruiser
-New "original" player ship + interior, weapons, etc.
-Other? (feel free to suggest something)

I've also got an Event mod in the works already, which should be finished or at least functional in the next few days, which is why I'm not mentioning any "events" as suggestions above.
As always, constructive feedback is welcomed!
froz

Postby froz » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:50 am

I would love some obsidian enemies. What would be the best IMO - a special obsidian sector, where you would have high chance to get obsidian weapons, most of enemies would be obsidian and there would be obsidian events too :). The sector could appear randomly along other sectors.

Another thing - obsidian crew. Do you think you could do it?
mattimao

Postby mattimao » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:17 pm

You have some great ideas there.

What I think would be cool...
Make the Obsidian race a friendly race that can be run into while playing any ship.
They should have the store option so that you could buy and or repair.
If you are playing as a Obsidian cruiser, you could buy Obsidian weapons.

-make Obsidian race
-make more Obsidian weapons
-make crystal vengeance into an Obsidian version. Up the damage and chance it will work.
-Obsidian race events. Stores, rescue quests, etc.

Just some ideas! ;)

Still having a blast with the ship as it is.
Thanks for such a cool ship!
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:32 pm

froz wrote:I would love some obsidian enemies. What would be the best IMO - a special obsidian sector, where you would have high chance to get obsidian weapons, most of enemies would be obsidian and there would be obsidian events too :). The sector could appear randomly along other sectors.

Well you just want everything, don't you? :lol: But it's worth considering. If I did an Obsidian Sector of some kind, it'd probably be a sort of "Dark Space" region with fleet pursuit disabled or severely impeded. Would require a lot of event writing and a significant chunk of ship-building (and other spriting) to execute, so odds are it'd take quite a while. I like the idea though.

mattimao wrote:-make more Obsidian weapons
-make crystal vengeance into an Obsidian version. Up the damage and chance it will work.
-Obsidian race events. Stores, rescue quests, etc.

I haven't touched augments yet so I don't know to what degree they're hardcoded. I considered the idea of an "Obsidian Vengeance" tweak but I didn't actually want to replace the "Crystal" version and I'm not sure if they'll play nice together. If it's possible to make new augments though, I'd definitely be all over that.

Another thing - obsidian crew. Do you think you could do it?

-make Obsidian race

I wish. As far as I'm aware, custom races are broken and default to human. Even if I did make sprites for dark-crystal crew members, they'd just be humans with a different coat of paint. Until that problem is solved (or a suitable work-around exists), I won't be doing anything with crew members unfortunately. :roll: I'd like to, there's just no point in it right now.
Kieve

Re: [MOD] Obsidian Cruiser v1.2

Postby Kieve » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:02 pm

And, updated to v1.2!
The Disruptor was a feisty one but it's now completely functional.
Only thing I haven't done for this ship yet is custom interior graphics, which I'll finish up sometime this week I think.
In the mean time, go forth and be awesome! :D
SSk77

Postby SSk77 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:51 pm

Nice mod
Last edited by SSk77 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:19 pm

SSk77 wrote:Nice mod

Thank you for editing your post. I appreciate it.
Good luck with your forum.
Zaffre

Postby Zaffre » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:53 pm

I love it. When I was able to power up both the Disruptor and the Singularity Projector at the same time, it was great. But then I got the Weapon Pre-Igniter. Everything became trivial. Nothing stood in my way. I ripped apart two stages of the Rebel Flagship with ease. However, there were several mistakes I made. First, I forgot about the breach that the boarding drone made. Second, I had nobody at the pilot seat so I couldn't evade. I got it on film if you want to see me die horribly.

Overall, great mod. The Singularity Projector can bring down any shields (besides Zoltan) to one bubble, which is when the Disruptor really shines. I look forward to your other works in the future! :D
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:18 am

Zaffre wrote:I love it. When I was able to power up both the Disruptor and the Singularity Projector at the same time, it was great. But then I got the Weapon Pre-Igniter. Everything became trivial. Nothing stood in my way. I ripped apart two stages of the Rebel Flagship with ease. However, there were several mistakes I made. First, I forgot about the breach that the boarding drone made. Second, I had nobody at the pilot seat so I couldn't evade. I got it on film if you want to see me die horribly.

Overall, great mod. The Singularity Projector can bring down any shields (besides Zoltan) to one bubble, which is when the Disruptor really shines. I look forward to your other works in the future! :D

That's rough... does make me glad I got the gibs working right though! Alas, poor Retribution, we hardly knew ye... :roll:

I'm glad you went to the Score screen after, I didn't realize I'd need to replace the "mini" image as well (duh, self). Guess I'll throw that on the to-do list with the interior work. And thanks for the kind words!
daj327

Postby daj327 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:20 pm

I don't know if this is happening to anyone else, but when I launch the mod with GMM, something weird happens. The actual main menu looks fine, but when I click new game, ever sprite is replaced by a caution sign. All the crew, weapons, and system bars. Same thing when I start the game.