[SHIP]The City-ship Atlantis v2.5

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
05eolsale

Re: Atlantis. The city ship of the Ancients

Postby 05eolsale » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:52 pm

dalolorn wrote:
05eolsale wrote:
dalolorn wrote:You know, there's a reason why most ships are viewed from the top down.

Having said that, I'm thinking Atlantis would be better viewed from the sides - with the control tower pointing in this direction: :arrow: due to the way FTL works.

yeah i agree i watched the episodes with the city in moment and combat and to say so.
the ship needs 3/4 attack drones mark I/II (the fighters of atlantis) and 4 humans (they had alot of crew) and 3/4 of the lasers and it needs shield piercing and it needs 4 shields and maxed engines and more hull (the ancients were building sturdy ships that had great engines and had excellent shields and devastating weapons, but they were to self confident and they had almost ran out of power(so give them 6 power bars maximum as a start) and they were masters of nanites (so give them medbots and they had strong medbays level 3 andgive them drone recovery arm (the ships flew back after the fights( and give them damaged stasis pod(they were able to set people in stasis in 10 000 years and have them age about 10 000 days) okay i think that is it.
sry for long post all i came up with now.

Triple post ftw!

On a more serious note...

They're called puddle jumpers. Atlantis has no lasers, they're drones. Atlantis does have superior shielding (I'd even go for Zoltan shields), but its structure is EXTREMELY fragile, so I'd be in favor of LESS hull, not MORE. Stasis pod is pointless, as you'll get a Crystal from it. How is a Crystal related to the Ancients?

Edit: Did somebody delete some of the clone posts he posted? They were there a moment ago! :shock:

i agree completely the only thing i ask if this is before or after the Ancients left the city i agree afterwards it being flooded and areas collapsing because of water and the city being bombarded (10-15 hull)
before with it being maintaned (15-30 hull)
sry for triple post forum died on me
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:10 pm

I will remind you that Atlantis' structure is weak by definition. The city always depended on its shielding to protect it, not only from the absence of atmosphere in space, but also from any and all things that could damage the hull.
stargateprovider

Postby stargateprovider » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:15 pm

I'm not sure if I am going to make it that strong (superior shields, best engines...) because I wanted to make it a balanced ship for FTL, not too strong. But if You really want, maybe I can make two versions if it's allowed: One balanced and the other that is realisticly strong. Also, I will post another ship soon, it's like a flying saucer, but the UFO would stands for Unbelievably Fast Object :D .
Some of my FTL mods you may like, or hate, or... yeah:
Image Image
DestinyAtlantis

Postby DestinyAtlantis » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:52 pm

The second version of Atlantis, you could make into a different .ftl file, or the B layout of the already existing .ftl. (or both (a second .ftl file where it's the B layoult)).
The city has some ridiculously powerful (or more like lasting) shields.
The city's stasis pod slowed down the aging process a lot, so the Woman (sorry, forgot her name) was at about 100 to 200 year old tops, not to mention the 3 times she had to wake up from the sleep (2 for the 3,333...k years to replace the ZPM module, and the third from when the Atlantis Expedition found her 10k years after the evacuation of the city).
The city's structure, as dalolorn said multiple times, is very weak, it can withstand some bombardment (as seen in the rebel replicators' Copied Atlantis), but not all that much (15 to 20hp (you, the Moder, choose) tops if fully repaired, 10 to 15 tops after the Atlantis expedition).
Also the Stardrive is powerful, but the city can't power everything at once (while taking of and exiting the atmosphere or while being in orbit, both times heavily bombarded, the city can't maintain both sufficient engine power and shield integrity (altough technically the first time they only had 1 ZPM module and the second time the ZPMs where drained because of the Wormhole Drive)). Actually the Stardrive takes tons of energy to power, so you could try adding more engine levels, making them cost less, probably give less->requiring more power for the same job. (Well, it is a several Kilotons heavy, or was it Megatons???).
You could also try making the Artillery beam, into a Flagship's third form's power surge type of weapon, but requiring a lot of power and having a big cooldown. (if it's even possible in FTL).
Also, a high-rapid firing defense drone mark 1 style (only against missiles and asteroids) would be nice, but that would require either a new weapon or a refit of the existing one (but then the enemy will also get these). (They have squadron of puddle jumpers that they once used for destroying incoming asteroids, because they were stuck in the path of an asteroid belt (or whatever it's called) due to power leakage and the ship reduced the shield to almost a pillar-like shape(the central tower and maybe a little more)).
And yeah, they were a big expedition + the survivors of the planet they visited (sorry, i forgot their name), so 4+ humans would be normal.

Summary:
4 or 5 level shields with Zoltan shield add-on(or if possible, Boss shield add-on(the one with 10hp))
weak structure (15 to 20). Strong but costly engines. 3+- humans and an engi (Rodney McKey). The anti-ship drone you already have, with a normal defense MK1 or a custom Atlantis defense that targets only missiles and asteroids (and well...any solid object). Teleporting. Adv. sensors Aug (they did have Long range sensors that could pick a ship from more or less several/a lot of LYs away). If possible a changed Artillery Beam into a drone bombardment third Flagship form's power surge style, only 1 level slow firing. (but very costly to purchase, or level ?4-5-6? but only able to fire when powered to that level (also cheaper since it's multiple levels and power costly)). Oh, and if FTL allows/possible ZPM module custom Augmentation that gives a extra power.
Unfortunetly i have no idea how hard this is to make and how balanced it will be and etc. :( and i'm a bit lazy :(

But in the end it all comes down to what you want to/can/will/is possible to do.
stargateprovider

Postby stargateprovider » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:44 pm

DestinyAtlantis wrote:The second version of Atlantis, you could make into a different .ftl file...

I thought about that and I'll do it :D. I tried making the Ancient drones an artillery weapon at first, but I couldn't set it's location, it appeared in a random place so I changed it into a normal weapon, so no artillery. And I think the Stasis Pod isn't that important, but I'll rename the Combat Drones to be Puddle Jumpers and I will some other things.
And the name of the woman was Dr. Wier.
Image Image
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:03 pm

The Stardrive did not weigh several kilotons. However the explosion of the Stargate (Attero device) was in fact equivalent to X kilotons (or megatons) of TNT.

Artillery beam drone launcher would be interesting. Stargateprovider, I believe you need 5 weapon mounts, even if you have less than 5 weapon slots - the 5th mount defaults to the artillery weapon. If you implement it, I recommend giving 3 regular drone launchers and a drone barrage as the artillery. :P

Rapid-fire Mk I defense drone? Basically what the Mk II Light Defense Drone in Captain's Edition does, and you can prevent the AI from getting it.

Boss shields are hardcoded. As are the effects of engine levels, with any upgrade past lvl 8 resetting dodge (and presumably FTL charge) values. Furthermore, you cannot change the functionality of artillery by modifying power levels. ZPM augment is also not going to work.
DestinyAtlantis

Postby DestinyAtlantis » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:25 pm

I didn't mean that the Stardrive itself weighs several kilotons (well, technically it does weigh a lot). What i meant is that the city weighs "multi-megatons". Also it seems i underestimated the power usage of the Stardrive. It takes at least 2 ZPMs or a ZPM and an external power source with enough power supply to lift-of and land softly (they didn't land all that softly with 1 ZPM).
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:08 am

DestinyAtlantis wrote:I didn't mean that the Stardrive itself weighs several kilotons (well, technically it does weigh a lot). What i meant is that the city weighs "multi-megatons". Also it seems i underestimated the power usage of the Stardrive. It takes at least 2 ZPMs or a ZPM and an external power source with enough power supply to lift-of and land softly (they didn't land all that softly with 1 ZPM).

Uh, "multi-megaton city" means it weighs multiple megatons, not multi-megatons. Just saying. :P

I will also point out that since you do not at any point land on a planet in FTL, you don't need more than 1 ZPM:

The hyperdrive itself requires relatively little power (compared to what a ZPM can generate) to travel interstellar distances, and the greatest amount of power expenditure during the entire process of taking off, flying through hyperspace, and landing on another planet typically occurs when powering up the inertial dampeners and achieving the necessary escape velocity to lift the multi-megaton city off of a planet's surface.
stargateprovider

Re: [SHIP]The City-ship Atlantis v2.4

Postby stargateprovider » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:53 pm

Added custom Jumper image
Image Image
agigabyte

Re: [SHIP]The City-ship Atlantis v2.4

Postby agigabyte » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:10 pm

Did you get my PM?