sM Polish Kit: Insurrection v1.6 [CE Support + Modules]

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
slowriderxcorps

Re: [MOD]The sM Polish Kit (ft. Compatability Patch for CE)

Postby slowriderxcorps » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:48 pm

A couple more changes were made in waiting for the next version of the Captain's Edition. More importantly however, the Mediafire link was fixed to link to the version that is actually being updated in tandem with the Dropbox link. Quite the embarrassing mess-up on my part. :(
aaaaaa50

Postby aaaaaa50 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:26 pm

What is "Alpha - Base Game.ftl" and where should I put it in the mod order?
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 pm

aaaaaa50 wrote:What is "Alpha - Base Game.ftl" and where should I put it in the mod order?

That is a copy of the vanilla game files itself which went under the same scrutiny as the main game did: being punched into the Verifier of Slipstream Mod Manager and having every error that came up ruthlessly fixed. It was included as an experiment to see if the game would run any better with the XML errors in the vanilla game ironed out.

As for when to include it, it goes first, before any and all other mods.
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:18 pm

The glory of finding new little bits to tweak. The latest iteration adds a new cloaking image for the Red-Tail, since it previously used that of The Kestrel, complete with glowing lines where the (non-existant) Federation markings should be.

Before

And After
aaaaaa50

Postby aaaaaa50 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:48 pm

So I just updated the game with the files from my previous download of this mod instead of the new one. :roll: Would you please include version numbers for your mod? It's a small feature, but a helpful one. Also, including a version number in the thread title would inform people who check forums infrequently of when you've updated.
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:56 pm

aaaaaa50 wrote:So I just updated the game with the files from my previous download of this mod instead of the new one. :roll: Would you please include version numbers for your mod? It's a small feature, but a helpful one. Also, including a version number in the thread title would inform people who check forums infrequently of when you've updated.

That is something that should be done, I agree, though given the amount of times I've updated it with small things.. I don't know what number I would even have it set as right now. :S
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Just start with 1.0 *shrug*
Then add fractional values representing how much you think you've changed/added in the update:
Complete rewrite: +1.0 (version 2.0)
Big change: +0.1 (version 1.1)
Small change: +0.0.1 (version 1.0.1)
Trivial change: +a (b, c... etc if multiple such fixes are applied in succession) [version 1.0.a]

There really isn't a set version numbering system, though as far as I'm aware the one I drafted above is the most commonly used... Ultimately, the version number for each update is completely arbitrary, and you are the judge of what it'll be.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:44 pm

kartoFlane wrote:Just start with 1.0 *shrug*
Then add fractional values representing how much you think you've changed/added in the update:
Complete rewrite: +1.0 (version 2.0)
Big change: +0.1 (version 1.1)
Small change: +0.0.1 (version 1.0.1)
Trivial change: +a (b, c... etc if multiple such fixes are applied in succession) [version 1.0.a]

There really isn't a set version numbering system, though as far as I'm aware the one I drafted above is the most commonly used... Ultimately, the version number for each update is completely arbitrary, and you are the judge of what it'll be.

Hm, okay, I got it. I'll start numbering them from 1.0 once the next big update for Captain's Edition occurs.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:40 am

slowriderxcorps wrote:I don't know what number I would even have it set as right now.

When I wrote the description for the mod manager, I simply counted forum posts about updates and assigned these versions...

The sM Polish Kit
  • 1.4 CE 1.051 Patch
  • 1.4 CE 1.051 Player Ships Addon
The purpose of this modification is to give FTL a graphical overhaul to solve little nuances with the game while simultaneously altering the way certain aspects such as weapons and enemies work in order to re-balance the game, all while keeping the experience overall as similar to the original as possible.

Background
Somewhat blatantly inspired by Twinge's current effort at re-balancing the entire game, I went back to the original, vanilla mod that I had made. Piece by piece, I strapped upon it the efforts that I had previously come up with (including the animated Artillery Beam and Drone Mode for Engi-B), a slew of aesthetic alterations from both liakad's "diversityMod" and my own efforts, and many gameplay-related changes (some from Twinge, some from myself).

Mod Compatibility
For "FTL Captains Edition" in particular, I decided it would be best to develop a separate patch for it to allow the sM Polish Kit to integrate itself with it while maintaining complete stability of both mods. The patch also includes the same treatment to all of the new weapons and drones of the Captain's Editions, including descriptions and balance alterations, as well as a thorough spellcheck of the entire new quest-line.

To combine the "sM Polish Kit" with "FTL Captains Edition", install mods in this order:
- Captains Edition
- sM Polish Kit
- sMPK for CE
- Any Ship Mods (a special version of "CE Player Ships Addon" is included)

The sM Polish Kit - Base Game
  • Alpha for FTL 1.03.3
A copy of the vanilla game files, punched into the Validate feature of Slipstream Mod Manager, with every error that came up ruthlessly fixed. It was an experiment to see if the game would run any better with the XML errors ironed out.

Mod Compatibility
- Include this first, before any mods.

*Looks up*
These were circa 2013-09-17.
I'll add 1.5...

btw, SMM 1.3 just came out. Now, you can put your own description/version info inside the .ftls and make all the tweaks you want without losing that text.
Last edited by Vhati on Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:30 am

Vhati wrote:btw, SMM 1.3 just came out. Now, you can put your own description/version info inside the .ftls and make all the tweaks you want without losing that text.

That's incredibly helpful to see! I'll get upon the creation of dedicated descriptions very shortly.

EDIT: Descriptions for Slipstream 1.3 were added. I've also bolted on version numbers for the various aspects of the modification, including the topic title and the names of the files within the main zip. The Polish Kit will start from this point as 0.9, and will be upgraded to 1.0 when the next version of Captain's Edition happens, regardless of changes made, same for the Player Ships mod. Numbering of the patch for Captain's Edition will be identical to that of the latest version of that mod, and numbering of the Base Game files will be identical to that of the current version of the main FTL executable.