[Save Manager] FTL Homeworld AE -v3.1

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
kartoFlane

Re: [Save Manager] FTL Homeworld v2.1

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:48 pm

GMM checks for syntax errors; the error checker checks for FTL-specific issues, like mistyped blueprint name, bad events, etc.
It's mostly intended for mod developers, though, to help with obscure crashes.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Scaratel

Re: [Program] FTL Homeworld v2.0

Postby Scaratel » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:26 pm

I've discovered also that if I have more than one continue save that I can't switch between them. After playing in one ship, completely vanilla except for Homeworld v2.0, I can then start a new campaign through Homeworld and have both saves. Everything works in Homeworld as far as I can tell. Both ships appear and it appears as though I can trade between them but if I attempt to run FTL through Homeworld I get the FTL loading screen and immediately after loading it will close FTL and bring the Homeworld interface back. It's possible that I'm derping. I click board on one of my ships and then click Launch FTL. I don't get any error messages.
ImageThe shadows are my armour and arrows are my words.
iceburg333

Postby iceburg333 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:51 am

kartoFlane wrote:GMM checks for syntax errors; the error checker checks for FTL-specific issues, like mistyped blueprint name, bad events, etc.
It's mostly intended for mod developers, though, to help with obscure crashes.

That makes sense, I didn't even know GMM checked for errors at all, but I figured it wasn't as in depth as your program (as error checking isn't it's primary purpose). Either way, having in depth checking, especially for xml, will prove extremely useful, I've got to think (and sounds like Captains Edition proved that.)
You're a boss KartoFlane. :D
Scaratel wrote:I've discovered also that if I have more than one continue save that I can't switch between them. After playing in one ship, completely vanilla except for Homeworld v2.0, I can then start a new campaign through Homeworld and have both saves. Everything works in Homeworld as far as I can tell. Both ships appear and it appears as though I can trade between them but if I attempt to run FTL through Homeworld I get the FTL loading screen and immediately after loading it will close FTL and bring the Homeworld interface back. It's possible that I'm derping. I click board on one of my ships and then click Launch FTL. I don't get any error messages.

Thanks for the report. I'm still a java noob, so let me ask you a bunch of questions so we can see where the problem is...
First, try Homeworld 2.1 as I fixed some bugs (delete your FTL-homeworld.cfg file just to be safe). In your save folders, do you have two files named continue.sav, or what are the file titles? (Should be continue.sav and continue_1.sav). (Homeworld basically reads all the files in your save folder that end in .sav. Because FTL only reads continue.sav, when you dock a ship, my program just renames the ship to continue_x.sav, so that FTL ignores it, and then renames your ship to continue.sav when you board it.) Also, what happens when you manually launch FTL? (Not through Homeworld).

What did you trade between ships? Did you save after the trade? Does boarding either ship cause FTL to crash? Did you leave a ship without any crew (a possibility I removed in 2.1).
Please let me know and we'll figure this out. :)
Scaratel

Postby Scaratel » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks for the report. I'm still a java noob, so let me ask you a bunch of questions so we can see where the problem is...
First, try Homeworld 2.1 as I fixed some bugs (delete your FTL-homeworld.cfg file just to be safe). In your save folders, do you have two files named continue.sav, or what are the file titles? (Should be continue.sav and continue_1.sav). (Homeworld basically reads all the files in your save folder that end in .sav. Because FTL only reads continue.sav, when you dock a ship, my program just renames the ship to continue_x.sav, so that FTL ignores it, and then renames your ship to continue.sav when you board it.) Also, what happens when you manually launch FTL? (Not through Homeworld).

What did you trade between ships? Did you save after the trade? Does boarding either ship cause FTL to crash? Did you leave a ship without any crew (a possibility I removed in 2.1).
Please let me know and we'll figure this out. :)

It seems like everything works perfectly with v2.1. After deleting current .savs', v2.0, and ensuring a clean .dat (so completely vanilla) I created a ship without homeworld. After saving the new ship and closing ftl, I launched Homeworld and could see the ship just fine. I then launched ftl through homeworld without boarding my new ship and I got what I expected, no continue in the ftl main menu. I created a second ship and then closed ftl. Homeworld now had both ships saved (Crystal and kestral) and I could board and play as both. I then traded a laser from kestral to crystal and saved the trade (it's very possible that I forgot this when using v2.0). Launching FTL through homeworld and manually showed that the Crystal ship had the laser and that the kestral did not. The same was true for trading crew members and a warning did show when I attempted to trade away the final crew member aboard the kestral and prevents such a trade. So trading and switching between ships works just fine. Finally, I decided to board one of my ships and launch through homeworld. This time I chose to start a new game whilst the crystal ship save was loaded. I created a second kestral and save quitted back to the Homeworld interface. As I expected, the crystal ship was gone and I had two kestrals in my docking station. I know that you can't stop that from happening and vanilla FTL has a warning about deleting the current ship if you start a new save anyway, I just thought that it might be something to show that the saves are being updated and saved properly.

Feel free to contact me about anything you'd like me to test, I'd be happy to test beta versions. And of course I'll keep an eye out for bugs in the current public version.

Thank you for this excellent mod.
iceburg333

Postby iceburg333 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:57 pm

Scaratel wrote:
It seems like everything works perfectly with v2.1. After deleting current .savs', v2.0, and ensuring a clean .dat (so completely vanilla) I created a ship without homeworld. After saving the new ship and closing ftl, I launched Homeworld and could see the ship just fine. I then launched ftl through homeworld without boarding my new ship and I got what I expected, no continue in the ftl main menu. I created a second ship and then closed ftl. Homeworld now had both ships saved (Crystal and kestral) and I could board and play as both. I then traded a laser from kestral to crystal and saved the trade (it's very possible that I forgot this when using v2.0). Launching FTL through homeworld and manually showed that the Crystal ship had the laser and that the kestral did not. The same was true for trading crew members and a warning did show when I attempted to trade away the final crew member aboard the kestral and prevents such a trade. So trading and switching between ships works just fine. Finally, I decided to board one of my ships and launch through homeworld. This time I chose to start a new game whilst the crystal ship save was loaded. I created a second kestral and save quitted back to the Homeworld interface. As I expected, the crystal ship was gone and I had two kestrals in my docking station. I know that you can't stop that from happening and vanilla FTL has a warning about deleting the current ship if you start a new save anyway, I just thought that it might be something to show that the saves are being updated and saved properly.

Feel free to contact me about anything you'd like me to test, I'd be happy to test beta versions. And of course I'll keep an eye out for bugs in the current public version.

Thank you for this excellent mod.

Thank you so much for testing it! Hands down, my least favorite part of programming, by far, it testing. Consequently, I think one of my biggest weaknesses as a modder is bugs, which crop up do to my lack of testing. So to have some one test that thoroughly on their rig and report back to me is a true blessing.
Thank you so much good sir!
I'll be sure to let you know about any betas / keep you posted. I'm leaving for school soon and I don't know how much time / access to modding I'll have, but I'm hoping to release at least one more update before I go.
Thanks again man!
Ice
Fenris

Postby Fenris » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:49 am

Looking forward to trying this out

Looks really cool :D
iceburg333

Postby iceburg333 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Fenris wrote:Looking forward to trying this out

Looks really cool :D

Thanks Fenris!

:arrow: Hey all, as I've posted on FB, I'm about to leave for 9 months on a really exciting adventure. During that time, I don't know how much time I'll have to work on modding. So, while I hope to continue updating this program, it may be a while/intermittent/not updated again, depending on how much time I'll have by a computer over the next 9 months.
Thank you FTL people for inspiring me, helping me, and teaching me!
Iceburg

PS. I'm leaving in a day or 2, and may try to upload a slight update I've done to 2.1 (most of the work is background for the 3.0 update, but includes a new logo to replace the java logo and a little better scrolling for the spacedock ui screen).

PPS. Do note that while I may not update this for a while, it's fully functional as it is and works as a save manager/ allows you to trade items between ships, updates would only add new functions....
Scaratel

Postby Scaratel » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:41 pm

Have fun on your adventure! You should be proud of the mod you've made. There's no pressure for an update, it's excellent as it is. Saying that, I look forward to anything you decide to add!
lousy7

Postby lousy7 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:21 am

Help! I can't get the java file to create a new Homeworld.sav.
Scaratel

Postby Scaratel » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:46 pm

lousy7 wrote:Help! I can't get the java file to create a new Homeworld.sav.

Is this to install the mod? You only need to find and select your continue.sav