[Save Manager] FTL Homeworld AE -v3.1

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
iceburg333

Re: [Program] FTL Homeworld v2.0

Postby iceburg333 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:12 pm

gosenbach wrote:I see a bit of TW2002 in your screenshots :) Love it.

Thanks gosenbach! I looked up TW2002 and downloaded it. I need to play it some time, minus the lack of GUI, it looks really cool!

kartoFlane wrote:
public ArrayList<WeaponItem> weaponToString(ShipState state, HashMap<String, Integer> map) {
....ArrayList<WeaponItem> al = new ArrayList<WeaponItem>();
....map = new HashMap<String, Integer>();

Well, yeah, you were essentially overwriting the argument with a new HashMap each time you called the function.

That makes sense... Hah. It was driving me Crazy!

kartoFlane wrote:Regarding the previous post, well, that's some Overdrive-sized ideas right there. You'll essentially be creating a whole meta-mod/extension for FTL, instead of a simple utility. I think you should read about the dreaded Scope Creep ;)
Best of luck, though.

Thanks. When I first played FTL and realized I couldn't mod, I decided to get a notepad out and spent a couple days writing down all of my ideas without thinking of cost/ possibility, just sort of dreaming. Then I started looking at what could actually be possible and basically found your and Vhati's programs. Since Vhati was editing saves, I realized I could do a bunch of my ideas through save editing. Because his program was open source, I decided to learn Java.
Since the beginning I've had no idea how far I would make it. That's why I decided to release it in stages (each new tab being a new release). School starts for me the 22ndish, so I'm sure I won't finish before then, and then who knows if I'll have time / how much to work on this. So Scope Creep has been a real monster I've been living with, though I never knew his name / knew he existed. I have a (semi) defined scope, but it's admittedly beyond me. I just want to see how far I can get before he eats me. :D

kartoFlane wrote:The hangar is pretty buggy though. Everything looked fine on the first launch, I've sent all stuff on my ship to the hangar. Now I open the hangar again, and most of the Swing UI elements are not even showing up.

Drat. It launched and relaunched for me, but I haven't done much extensive testing yet. Right now I'm trying to get comboboxes to say "Hull Missile x2" or whatever the item count is, and it works on startup, but trading weapons is getting really complicated...
EDIT: I've used it to offload half the cargo of one of my ships, saved, and when I closed and reopened the program everything worked correctly. Did the swing elements go whack after closing and reopening or after changing tabs?
Scaratel

Postby Scaratel » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:00 pm

This looks like an amazing mod but I'm having an issue installing it. I can find my .dat and continue.sav files fine when I'm asked to manually find them. But then I get the following error pop up: "Error parsing FTL data files." The program then stops running. Do I maybe have to rename continue.sav as homeworld.sav?

Thanks in advance,

Scara'tel
ImageThe shadows are my armour and arrows are my words.
iceburg333

Postby iceburg333 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:52 pm

Scaratel wrote:This looks like an amazing mod but I'm having an issue installing it. I can find my .dat and continue.sav files fine when I'm asked to manually find them. But then I get the following error pop up: "Error parsing FTL data files." The program then stops running. Do I maybe have to rename continue.sav as homeworld.sav?

Thanks in advance,

Scara'tel

Hey Scaratel!
So you're able to point the program to Faster Than Light\resources\data.dat? The error means it's having trouble reading that file. It shouldn't have anything to do with the save files (it would say error reading saves...).
Are you running mods that edit data.dat? Either your running a mod that is somehow breaking it, or it's not able to read the dat for some other reason (not pointed to the proper dat, or maybe permissions issue?)
Whever you place FTL Homeworld.jar, a config document is created, try opening that and make sure that the ftlDatsPath line looks like/ ends with: "\\Faster Than Light\\resources"
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:40 am

Would the error be caused by an older version of FTL?
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Scaratel

Postby Scaratel » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:06 am

iceburg333 wrote:
Scaratel wrote:This looks like an amazing mod but I'm having an issue installing it. I can find my .dat and continue.sav files fine when I'm asked to manually find them. But then I get the following error pop up: "Error parsing FTL data files." The program then stops running. Do I maybe have to rename continue.sav as homeworld.sav?

Thanks in advance,

Scara'tel

Hey Scaratel!
So you're able to point the program to Faster Than Light\resources\data.dat? The error means it's having trouble reading that file. It shouldn't have anything to do with the save files (it would say error reading saves...).
Are you running mods that edit data.dat? Either your running a mod that is somehow breaking it, or it's not able to read the dat for some other reason (not pointed to the proper dat, or maybe permissions issue?)
Whever you place FTL Homeworld.jar, a config document is created, try opening that and make sure that the ftlDatsPath line looks like/ ends with: "\\Faster Than Light\\resources"

Yes! Thank you! It must have been another mod messing with it. I replaced the data.dat I was using with my clean, mod-free data.dat and then ran the .jar. It worked perfectly. Now I just need to find what could have caused it.
iceburg333

Postby iceburg333 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:39 pm

UltraMantis wrote:Would the error be caused by an older version of FTL?

Hadn't thought of that, but that could be the problem too. Good idea!
Scaratel wrote:Yes! Thank you! It must have been another mod messing with it. I replaced the data.dat I was using with my clean, mod-free data.dat and then ran the .jar. It worked perfectly. Now I just need to find what could have caused it.

Sweet! Glad it worked! Please let me know if you figure out which mod was incompatible so I can figure out why/ understand the problem.
Thanks!
Ice
iceburg333

Re: [Save Manager] FTL Homeworld v2.0

Postby iceburg333 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:35 pm

KartoFlane wrote:The hangar is pretty buggy though. Everything looked fine on the first launch, I've sent all stuff on my ship to the hangar. Now I open the hangar again, and most of the Swing UI elements are not even showing up.

Hey, I may have figured out your problem!
I'm testing for the release of 2.1 and I'm noticing that the program isn't writing a config file. Since I wasn't having a problem (and had the config file already made), maybe you were having a problem because it wasn't writing the config... let me test more/fix it so it properly writes the config...

EDIT: I've updated to 2.1, and it writes config files properly. Please let me know if Cargobay is still buggy.
Thanks!
Ice
Scaratel

Postby Scaratel » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:18 pm

iceburg333 wrote:
UltraMantis wrote:Would the error be caused by an older version of FTL?

Hadn't thought of that, but that could be the problem too. Good idea!
Scaratel wrote:Yes! Thank you! It must have been another mod messing with it. I replaced the data.dat I was using with my clean, mod-free data.dat and then ran the .jar. It worked perfectly. Now I just need to find what could have caused it.

Sweet! Glad it worked! Please let me know if you figure out which mod was incompatible so I can figure out why/ understand the problem.
Thanks!
Ice

I can give you the list of mods I was running when trying to make it work:
A Strange new Galaxy
Beginning Scrap
EquipmentEX
GhostStories
KRS Obsidian Cruiser
RemoveO2Warning
SciFiNamesAppended

It seems to be anytime I have a custom ship/item that the program doesn't know what to do with it. The ftl profile editor doesn't like custom stuff either. I've attached the log for you to see what I mean.
iceburg333

Postby iceburg333 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:24 pm

Scaratel wrote:
I can give you the list of mods I was running when trying to make it work:
A Strange new Galaxy
Beginning Scrap
EquipmentEX
GhostStories
KRS Obsidian Cruiser
RemoveO2Warning
SciFiNamesAppended

It seems to be anytime I have a custom ship/item that the program doesn't know what to do with it. The ftl profile editor doesn't like custom stuff either. I've attached the log for you to see what I mean.

Thanks Scaratel, the mod list, plus the log is really helpful!
That's sort of a bummer that it doesn't work with Profile Editor either, as it means I have less of a chance figuring it out, but it's something I really want to look into, as using custom ships just like normal ones would be a big deal.
Thanks for giving me this stuff!!

EDIT: Looking at the log, it failed on line 6645 of a blueprint xml, and the line read:

Code: Select all

<ion>1</speed>
. That's bad xml, it should read

<speed>1</speed>
or

<ion>1</ion>
. I'm betting that that is exactly what's making it crash, which excites me because maybe Homeworld/ProfileEditor are not broken, but are crashing due to a modder's error in the mod packages?
I need to learn more about mods, but I'll keep this on the backburner and keep looking into it.
Thanks again!
Ice

EDIT2: I just found another really cool and useful program by KartoFlane. It checks errors in your data.dat folder to see if you made a mistake while building your mod. I plan on using it as/when I make an actual mod, but it might help you debug when you have multiple mods running.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17034
DestinyAtlantis

Postby DestinyAtlantis » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:30 pm

iceburg333 wrote:EDIT2: I just found another really cool and useful program by KartoFlane. It checks errors in your data.dat folder to see if you made a mistake while building your mod. I plan on using it as/when I make an actual mod, but it might help you debug when you have multiple mods running.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17034

Isn't that what the Modmanager check does?