FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
spudcosmic

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.21/Inf 1.21/EL 1.0b

Postby spudcosmic » Mon May 12, 2014 2:25 am

I've been thinking lately, not accepting surrenders is just too easy. Why should such an inhuman action be taken just because it equates to more scrap. I think there should be some kind of consequence, only a small one, and it is mostly uncommon. The consequence could be a number of things, from a crew member growing upset and leaving, to federation/militia patrols see your deed and fine you some scrap (or you could fight them).

This could also be expanded upon, leaving certain ships with the ability to ignore surrenders. Most likely this would be the already pirating races, but I was thinking of a little different sort of system for rocks. Rock people themselves are pretty honorable, so it's not likely that they would decline a surrender, however, the rocks would have the ability to intimidate the enemy ship for a better reward kind of like the zoltan negotiation; however, the enemy wouldn't always comply, which would prompt you to continue your assault or accept their original offer. So I guess it's basically just a downgraded zoltan surrender, but it could be expanded upon.
Tell me your thoughts!
CoryStarkiller

Postby CoryStarkiller » Mon May 12, 2014 8:12 am

spudcosmic wrote:I've been thinking lately, not accepting surrenders is just too easy. Why should such an inhuman action be taken just because it equates to more scrap. I think there should be some kind of consequence, only a small one, and it is mostly uncommon. The consequence could be a number of things, from a crew member growing upset and leaving, to federation/militia patrols see your deed and fine you some scrap (or you could fight them).

This could also be expanded upon, leaving certain ships with the ability to ignore surrenders. Most likely this would be the already pirating races, but I was thinking of a little different sort of system for rocks. Rock people themselves are pretty honorable, so it's not likely that they would decline a surrender, however, the rocks would have the ability to intimidate the enemy ship for a better reward kind of like the zoltan negotiation; however, the enemy wouldn't always comply, which would prompt you to continue your assault or accept their original offer. So I guess it's basically just a downgraded zoltan surrender, but it could be expanded upon.
Tell me your thoughts!

Crew members already have the option of leaving if they don't like that you attack after the surrender option. Makes the Acquisition Licence cool.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon May 12, 2014 10:00 am

Torchwood202 wrote:For the love of all things FTL, I cannot get full shields AND (what I assume to be the defensive ship system) full cloak... this Zoltan thing is really bugging me...

Cloak is not necessary. ;) Do you want me to spoil the exact requirements for you or do you want to find out yourself?

spudcosmic wrote:I've been thinking lately, not accepting surrenders is just too easy. Why should such an inhuman action be taken just because it equates to more scrap. I think there should be some kind of consequence, only a small one, and it is mostly uncommon. The consequence could be a number of things, from a crew member growing upset and leaving, to federation/militia patrols see your deed and fine you some scrap (or you could fight them).

I kind of agree that this would make sense on a meta/ethical/CElore level. But the game play logic of FTL kind of requires you to kill for scrap, so punishing the player too much for that on all this occasions would seem like a huge downgrade of player effectiveness. In the surrender texts for the player, I tried to establish a little that denying surrender is seen as somewhat barbaric, but still has become a regular thing in the current conflict. I guess there could be some textes that illustrate that the crew sometimes accepts it or sometimes condemns it, but with no real consequences. Most of what you suggested is not possible anyway with where moding is at right now.

Cirxe123 wrote:'m still experiencing crashes with FTL Captain's Edition even though I have completed all the steps in the troubleshooting area of the post.

Not sure what is wrong there. Do you use EL? Have you tried making more memory available to FTL? These events also sound like there are a lot of events missing. Maybe re-download the modfiles?
Saizew

Postby Saizew » Mon May 12, 2014 1:14 pm

@Sleeper Service

Do you plan to integrate the Crew Graphics of LordTrilobite as "full" part of CE or as choosable modular sub-add-on? Although i appreciate the efforts and work of that mod, i wish it would be in kind of a sub-add-on, especially with thinking on the other crew-diversity mod oncoming somewhen in the future.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon May 12, 2014 1:43 pm

I got permission to integrate that mod and I already took made the necessary adjustments (the portraits support all CE crew variations and even display some additional things that CE itself added to crew appearance now). So the next CE release will include these great portraits LordTrilobite made. Make sure you give him credit in his thread.

Further R&D news
I got beta access to the current Superluminal build and it looks like that will make adjustments to player ships much easier. Down the line, unique artillery for all player ships (much like in the Open Artillery mod) will be the next thing that comes to CE. I'm pretty much on one page with Open Artillery concerning what seems fitting to which faction here, so there will be some similarities.

CEs global player artillery will be pretty much as powerful as the Fed artillery, although the Vindicator Beam will still be somewhat the most efficient. Player artillery will be a high investment/high reward system, basically on par with cloaking in price. That also heightens the threshold for any ship but Fed to get the Cloak/Artillery combo going, so Fed will still stand out. The basic assumption is that, on average, the Fed artillery deals about six damage through shields, spread over multiple rooms. So most other damage dealing player artillery will be able to deal damage around that value, but some will do other stuff or deal their damage in a different way.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Mon May 12, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi there,

Encountered another small bug I think.

After making a trade with a Pirate black Market I got boarded.
Here's the event :
There is a black market hub here. You receive a message, "These are dangerous times. If you have extra military-grade explosives, we'll gladly pay for them."
1. Sell 5 missiles for 15 scrap
2. ,, 10 ,, 30 ,,
3. ,,15 ,, 45 ,,
4. Ignore the station
5. Power up the weapons and engage the station
*Picked 3*
"Thank you, this will help greatly."
missiles -15 scrap +45

Then a boarder appears, the station remains neutral and after the TP gets off cooldown he gets TP'ed back.
The boarder was indeed hostile.
Kind of odd since that event also occurs in vanilla FTL and probably a single time occurrence.

Just trying to help out ;)
Last edited by Biohazard063 on Mon May 12, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
presian

Postby presian » Mon May 12, 2014 3:56 pm

i just sigh in to say that the mod is awesome and i got your secret victory :D
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Mon May 12, 2014 4:21 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:I got beta access to the current Superluminal build and it looks like that will make adjustments to player ships much easier. Down the line, unique artillery for all player ships (much like in the Open Artillery mod) will be the next thing that comes to CE. I'm pretty much on one page with Open Artillery concerning what seems fitting to which faction here, so there will be some similarities.

Just please make sure you don't waste your time doing any stuff that we have already done. ;) You'll probably want to place the artillery and rooms yourself and make your own weapons, but still...

Just one warning, you will need to add an extra room to the Engi B and Stealth C ships in order to make room for one more system. Also, do you plan on making your own interior images for the artillery system? I can send you mine if you like. Of course, you could use the default one... But it's very blah.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon May 12, 2014 4:38 pm

Sure, send them over. I'm already done with the weapon blueprints. But I also want to do some individually place custom weapon graphics, so that the artillery is actually visible when installed, so it still needs some more time to complete.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Mon May 12, 2014 4:44 pm

An interesting player artillery would be something like 12-shots 0-damage breach-causing light laser. No crew damage.

You'd need to synchronize the artillery with your own weapons so it fires while the enemy shields are down, since 0-damage lasers don't bring shield bubbles down.