Page 4 of 664

Re: [open beta] FTL Captains Edition 0.951

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:27 am
by Thunderr
Sleeper Service wrote:I'm not sure what makes beacon appear flagged as shops on them map.I will check that out at some point.

I believe in infinite space, there was an event where a beacon with the repair dock flag secretly held a pirate ship waiting to attack.

Re: [open beta] FTL Captains Edition 0.952

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:07 pm
by slowriderxcorps
As soon as I saw this I immediately went about implementing this into the personal combo mod, and after a bunch of spellchecking and fixing things that were causing it to crash on startup, it worked. However, the first station I see was an auto-drone station. When I destroyed it... nothing happened. As in no dialogue triggered to say it was destroyed and scrap was obtained. Yet I don't see anything in the XML that would suggest that would happen. Any ideas as to the possible cause?

EDIT: Well a bunch of testing later reveals that the problem is only happening /after/ spellchecking the entire mod, so it has to be down to the save format of the append files. What should be used?

Re: [open beta] FTL Captains Edition 0.952

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:43 pm
by Sleeper Service
aaaaaa50 wrote:So I was tinkering around in the blueprints.xml for your balanced weapons for player ships mod thingy, trying to make the Engie B a crewless ship, and I think you made a mistake.
[...]
There should be three drones, right? But there's only one that appears in the game. A little digging around, and after changing it to this:

Code: Select all

      <drone name="DE_BATTLE_2"/>
      <drone name="REPAIR"/>
      <drone name="DE_REPAIR_2"/>


Ops you are completely right, forgot the suffixes once again. Has been corrected now.

aaaaaa50 wrote:P.S. You don't like the Osprey, do you?


Well, you get one projectile less, with a two second lower cooldown. That's not as good as the original load-out, but you still get the artillery beam and it's arguable one of the best ships of the game. Also I didn't mention here that
Sleeper Service wrote: [...] Some ships might be a little stronger and some a little weaker with the new weapons. [...]

;)

slowriderxcorps wrote:EDIT: Well a bunch of testing later reveals that the problem is only happening /after/ spellchecking the entire mod, so it has to be down to the save format of the append files. What should be used?


Don't know nothing about their format, I just save them as stuff.xml.append and it's working for me so far.

I did another test run with 0.952 and it seems to be crash-free now. I might get the modified vanilla events ready now...

Re: [open beta] FTL Captains Edition 0.952

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:52 pm
by slowriderxcorps
Sleeper Service wrote:Don't know nothing about their format, I just save them as stuff.xml.append and it's working for me so far.


Well the thing is that I just use regular Notepad/Wordpad, so I'm guessing that it's something to do with the program of choice more than anything else. The other key problem with saving in Notepad is that when I save the file I am forced to use ANSI encoding. If I choose Unicode or UTF-8, the game autocrashes on startup.

Failing that, I could attempt to link you to the spellchecked files and see if you can make them work as intended.

Re: [open beta] FTL Captains Edition 0.952

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:39 pm
by speedoflight
Honestly, is really weird seeing someone still using notepad in the year 2013... :shock:

Y always uses notepad++, for me is one of the best simple editors out there , and its easier to edit xml files since notepad++ is designed for programming stuff (so u can "format" a text with an specific languaje). And this is important, because sometimes, if the mod crashes, u will not be able to notice the typo mistake (or u will waste hours trying) if u see all the letters in white without delimited parts..

I mean, notepad is easy and fast, but notepad++ is easy and fast.. i really dont see any point of using an arcaic text editor lol.

Re: [open beta] FTL Captains Edition 0.952

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:48 pm
by slowriderxcorps
speedoflight wrote:Honestly, is really weird seeing someone still using notepad in the year 2013... :shock:

Y always uses notepad++, for me is one of the best simple editors out there , and its easier to edit xml files since notepad++ is designed for programming stuff (so u can "format" a text with an specific languaje). And this is important, because sometimes, if the mod crashes, u will not be able to notice the typo mistake (or u will waste hours trying) if u see all the letters in white without delimited parts..

I mean, notepad is easy and fast, but notepad++ is easy and fast.. i really dont see any point of using an arcaic text editor lol.


I guess you're right, but the oddity is that these weird things are only happening with the event files. I've been tweaking ship and weapon files with regular Notepad for over two months with no problems whatsoever.

Re: [open beta] FTL Captains Edition 0.952

Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:40 am
by Sleeper Service
slowriderxcorps wrote:As soon as I saw this I immediately went about implementing this into the personal combo mod, and after a bunch of spellchecking and fixing things that were causing it to crash on startup, it worked. However, the first station I see was an auto-drone station. When I destroyed it... nothing happened. As in no dialogue triggered to say it was destroyed and scrap was obtained. Yet I don't see anything in the XML that would suggest that would happen. Any ideas as to the possible cause?


The error suggest that the ship event can't call up the follow up station_destroyed event. That is usually caused by using a bad event ID. Maybe the editor you used uses a different unicode set that the game can't completely recognize? Special signs like _ (also %, & and so on) can cause problems. (I use Ubuntus inbuilt Text-Editor and that works fine, can also display and check XML structure while editing)

Re: [open beta] FTL Captains Edition 0.952

Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:53 pm
by slowriderxcorps
The error suggest that the ship event can't call up the follow up station_destroyed event. That is usually caused by using a bad event ID. Maybe the editor you used uses a different unicode set that the game can't completely recognize? Special signs like _ (also %, & and so on) can cause problems. (I use Ubuntus inbuilt Text-Editor and that works fine, can also display and check XML structure while editing)[/quote]

Yeah, it was all down to the text editor. I moved over to Notepad++ and was able to properly spellcheck the files without crippling the mod itself.

While the files here aren't 'quite' identical to your mod (a couple of specific things were removed/altered), these are the results of said spellchecking. Whether you wish to implement them or not into your work is your call. http://puu.sh/3eGVJ.rar

Re: [open beta] FTL Captains Edition 0.952

Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:23 pm
by Sleeper Service
Thanks, I will have a look at it. :)

Re: [open beta] FTL Captains Edition 0.952

Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:22 pm
by slowriderxcorps
Alright, that was a bit of a test. I had two crashes, one with an event crashing on startup in the Slug Nebula (although that /might/ have been caused by one of my changes, so don't hold me to it), and a second one regarding the Rebel auto-turret guarding a supply station. That one is caused by the tags for the aftermath of defeating the turret having differing spellings of Defense (one with an S, the other a C).