FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.21/Inf 1.21/EL 1.0b

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun May 11, 2014 12:54 pm

JSTM wrote:I have this problem with few B type ships:

Thanks for reporting in, that should be fixed now.

CE Endless Loot 1.0 for CE and CE Endless Loot 1.0 for CE Infinite
- Fixed some problems with the loadouts related to prefixes that no longer applied for certain weapons

R4V3-0N wrote:Well, it's me again, and I am back with another hull. This time it isn't a recolour, but just me filling in the gaps of some enemies in Captains Edition.

:o Sweet! Looking good so far. 8-) Pretty big, I guess it does not fit the enemy window entirely right now? Did you check how much it overlaps?

Definitely looking forward to the final result. :)
Russian Rockman

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.21/Inf 1.21/EL 1.0

Postby Russian Rockman » Sun May 11, 2014 1:08 pm

rannl wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:@ Everyone else: Please nobody else respond to this idiot. I've done it so you don't have to. They're probably just trolling anyway. "Posts: 1" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well said RR. I already suggested to Sleepy adding a bold, red lettered No Trolling sign on the OP :)

Somehow I think that would increase the amount of trolling... So maybe not...
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun May 11, 2014 1:14 pm

I was fooled at the Slug Stations size (it was like 500 x 600... didn't know it was mainly empty/ glow/ antenna!)

I did a resize and it can fit in the regular one barely, can fit in the mod that makes it bigger nicely... if that still works.

Here is just me on the normal superluminal seeing randomly how rooms will work.

left = smaller version that can fit.
Right = bigger version that can only fit in flagship one.

http://i.imgur.com/wEhEppH.png
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun May 11, 2014 1:54 pm

Resizing will decrease the image quality a whole lot. You could consider loosing the entire right section though, up to you.

Russian Rockman wrote:The Baton Beam's length is extremely small... :? Even the vanilla mini beam has a length of 45 and other mods have given it a length of 55 just to make it easier to aim. This weapon has no shield piercing so if it isn't a focus beam I have to ask, is it intended to have such a small length?
Also, I feel like the "stun beams" weapons could use at least 1 level of shield piercing, but that's just a personal preference.

I'm pretty sure that the vanilla mini beam is deliberately unavailable to all ships, IMO it is a weapon that is mainly there to make the stealth A work in the early and mid game but it has a too good DPS/power ratio to be a loot item. That is also why the hasta beam is kind of slower and shorter. For its power its still a great weapon.

The anti system beams are support weapons, as opposed to pretty much any other beam that are all mostly offensive weapons that either cripple key systems (focus beams) or aim to deal much a lot of overall damage to multiple systems (regular beams). The anti system beams fill kind of a different role. They are pretty much as good as their regular beam counterparts in disabling systems. With the added bonus of stunning crew, which slows down repairs quite a bit and makes it easier to "damage lock" the enemy. Event the Baton can damage up to three systems per hit, depending on loadout and its fast fire rate allows it to suppress systems pretty effectively, if you have synergising weapons to open up shields of course. The Bo does the same but slower and over a wider area, keeping enemy crew busy on multiple fronts while still slowing their repairs down with stun effects.

All this is of course not as good as a beam that deals actual damage, if you aim to destroy ships. But if you can't get your hands on anything else then the Baton and Bo still can make effective support weapons. And for any crew killing strategy they are of course more valuable.

Russian Rockman wrote:The Phase Ions and Flak Ions will be very interesting and make it more likely to find ion weapons again, but with a twist. ;) I'm interested in seeing how these handle, I can actually see Phase ions being very useful, I'm perfectly happy with these being a substitute for ion beams. What's your opinion on them?

Yeah, they both definitely feel pretty gimmicky. And both are pretty low key, especially Phase Ions can fall behind in the late game. I got an Ion Artillery II on my stealth C run yesterday and it made a descend opener for the Naginata. But it does not chain very well and you depend on hitting with three projectiles unless you have very skilled gunner crew or a reloader.

Russian Rockman wrote:Also, I noticed that there is a sort of ion Artillery in the files... ;) Interesting.....

:D You got me. I started to work on player artillery a little. Thats for the "Waveform EMP", the Artillery weapon of the Engi ships. Already works pretty much like a pulsar for the enemy only. But I#ll have to wait till superluminal is updated to continue with this, cause I don't want to bother adding rooms to the player ships via xml editing.

Russian Rockman wrote:Great job on the AI ships! They are even tinier than the Engi ships. They are a developing "civilization" I suppose.

Hehe, also their advanced minds are independent from spacial constrain or whatever. I really love how the tiny Ai Interceptor can pack such a punch. Encountered one with a heavy Ion Mark III and and Adaptive Focus Beam III yesterday. To me that realy makes it feel like their ships are highly advanced, so that they don't even depend on size or much plating.

Russian Rockman wrote:The space kittens one made me die. :lol: Everyone with a soul instantly loves these in let's plays and you can't help but feel guilty when not taking them. Did you write those or did somebody else write them because they are great!

It's ages ago since I wrote them. They are indeed well received generally. :D
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sun May 11, 2014 3:18 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Resizing will decrease the image quality a whole lot. You could consider loosing the entire right section though, up to you.

I would say actually loose the right side, but swap it with the Crystal part of the left wing. I actually like the right side the most. Also, the top wing seems a bit too cut off for me, I think the Crystal part should hang off the metal portion a little bit more.

Sleeper Service wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:The Baton Beam's length is extremely small... :? Even the vanilla mini beam has a length of 45 and other mods have given it a length of 55 just to make it easier to aim. This weapon has no shield piercing so if it isn't a focus beam I have to ask, is it intended to have such a small length?
Also, I feel like the "stun beams" weapons could use at least 1 level of shield piercing, but that's just a personal preference.
All this is of course not as good as a beam that deals actual damage, if you aim to destroy ships. But if you can't get your hands on anything else then the Baton and Bo still can make effective support weapons. And for any crew killing strategy they are of course more valuable.

Good argument of course. :D I agree that the "anti-system" beams should stay as support weapons. I was just confused because the Baton beams length is sooo much smaller than the Bo. I don't think it would be a bad idea to increase the length to 55 still though. ;) Just to make it easier to aim, it wouldn't actually be able to hit any more rooms that way.

Sleeper Service wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:Also, I noticed that there is a sort of ion Artillery in the files... ;) Interesting.....

:D You got me. I started to work on player artillery a little. Thats for the "Waveform EMP", the Artillery weapon of the Engi ships. Already works pretty much like a pulsar for the enemy only. But I#ll have to wait till superluminal is updated to continue with this, cause I don't want to bother adding rooms to the player ships via xml editing.

Um... I'm not sure if you know how far Open Artillery has come, but dmi3 and I have already added artillery rooms to every single player ship. :roll: I even made custom interior images for each of the rooms that match vanilla pretty well. And each type of ship has its own unique artillery weapon. ;) I went through the new version the other day and corrected every last bug so a "working" release will come very soon. It's really just a matter of balancing the different artillery now. I'd have to ask dmi3, but I don't think he would be opposed to CE using some of the stuff we've done, it would sure make our job easier if CE added player artillery directly, then we wouldn't have to make a compatibility patch.
(By the way, I keep saying we when technically it's dmi3's mod. I've just helped on it a lot and it was my idea originally and I really want to see it completed. So I just wanted to make that clear so I don't sound intrusive.)

I like the name "Waveform EMP". :D Dmi3 came up with the name "Ion Storm Inducer" which is basically just a flak ion that shoots a ton of projectiles. (It uses the lightning sounds :) ) I admit that some of the weapons in Open Artillery may seem a bit gimmicky, but we were just trying to make each one unique. If think you have some good ideas I'd love to hear them, but we could probably help you get player artillery into CE if that's something you want.

Most weapons in Open Artillery make a lot of sense though, i think you'd have basically the same idea. Kestrel shoots 6 generic lasers. Stealth Cruiser fires 3 cloaked missiles. Slugs use cluster bombs which cause nightmarish hazards inside the ship. Mantis fires projectiles (still need to decide if they're going to be missiles or not) that stun crew. Rock uses a fire beam. Zoltan uses basically a shield piercing anti-system beam. Crystals fire 3 partially shield piercing piercing projectiles that also lock down rooms. Lanius use a beam that cause breaches (which will probably be changed to some sort of flak weapon for reasons similar to the Anti-Bio drone).

Dmi3 made artillery available at stores and everything already. I believe he gave it a cost of about 130... He also thinks we might be able to have artillery that fires at different speeds by having a graduated artillery charging bar and changing the description in misc.xml from 50-40-30-20 seconds to %125-100-75-50 and just stating in the description of the weapon the actual base charge time. That's a new concept though so we haven't tried that out yet.

One last thing I think important to point out is that RAD-82 found that using "Burst" Artillery each projectile will hit a different room, the blast will not be focused around a single room. This solved our problem with the game crashing when using artillery that shoots more than 3 projectiles. We just changed them to Burst. If you give the artillery a radius of 0 the weapon will not miss any more than any normal weapon, all projectiles will land right in the center of a room and they can even hit multiple rooms. This is why the Federation C's flak artillery only has a radius of 35 but seemingly covers the entire enemy ship. ;)
Last edited by Russian Rockman on Sun May 11, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Torchwood202

Postby Torchwood202 » Sun May 11, 2014 3:36 pm

Has anyone here ever actually convinced the Rebel Fleet to give up the war? I know it's possible through-

Spoilers below for whoever wants to attempt this...

:SPOILERS BEGIN:
1. You need the Zoltan Ship (A, B, or C is fine)
2. You need to reach the Rebel Flagship in one piece (Just the first stage)
3. Click on the Blue Option for the Zoltan Ship to the Flagship
4. Now begins the series of blue events...
5. First, you need Fully upgraded Shields... along with the Zoltan Shield augmentation
:SPOILERS END:

Aaaannnddd thats as far as I've gotten... I really want to check out what actually happens with different combinations on how to get the Rebels to surrender.
That is a really nice touch to put in, Sleeper.
Revenant

Postby Revenant » Sun May 11, 2014 4:23 pm

(sry for my english) Hey Sleeper, im back to play FTL from like half a year, first of all i have to say with Advanced Edition and with CE inmensely improved, its much funnier playing this awesome game. I only got 2 questions: i veen playing a while with the endless space mod and i wonder if i cant choose the sector where i want to travel, i mean when i pay the 10 fuel to travel, i cant choose the sector, it just travel to a new one, but i dont mind this a lot, the point is i think the Endless space dont find ur custom sectors with ur custom music, its just that i didnt have the chance cause its random? or with Endless space u cant go to Ai controlled, quarantined and industrial?
thanks again for this awesome mod and the main reason im still playing FTL, keep the good work
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun May 11, 2014 4:51 pm

Contested Deeps Space will always be a mixed region. If you travel towards the Federation base you will go to a regular vanilla or CE sector. All of CEs sectors can be encountered there, but because of some modding restrictions you can not choose which sector to go to if you are in Contested Deep Space.

Torchwood202 wrote:Aaaannnddd thats as far as I've gotten... I really want to check out what actually happens with different combinations on how to get the Rebels to surrender.
That is a really nice touch to put in, Sleeper.

Hint: You need a cert defensive and non-combat related ship upgrades, as well as a diverse crew. ;)

Russian Rockman wrote:Good argument of course. :D I agree that the "anti-system" beams should stay as support weapons. I was just confused because the Baton beams length is sooo much smaller than the Bo. I don't think it would be a bad idea to increase the length to 55 still though. ;) Just to make it easier to aim, it wouldn't actually be able to hit any more rooms that way.

Length beyond 35 makes a huge difference, cause it allows to hit four instead of three rooms. You also have to take their cool down into account here. The Batons system suppression capabilities can actually surpasses the Bo's, as long as you aim to suppress only a certain system and have weapons that synergize well with the beam.

Russian Rockman wrote:Um... I'm not sure if you know how far Open Artillery has come, but dmi3 and I have already added artillery rooms to every single player ship. :roll: I even made custom interior images for each of the rooms that match vanilla pretty well.

Yeah, we definitely had some similar ideas here. I'll check open artillery out once it is released.
DragonMaster2962

Postby DragonMaster2962 » Sun May 11, 2014 6:07 pm

Sleeper theres a problem with the second Slug type B weapon when using Endless Loot for infinite space where it doesn't say what it is and looks like a basic laaser and when you fire it it crashes the game, please fix
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Sun May 11, 2014 6:40 pm

Yo R4V3-0N, since you're so talented in creating new ships, I realized there is one type of enemy ship CE still doesn't have (unless it does and I missed its implementation): A station with an artillery system.

You know how the auto-satelltes are stated to be defense turrets in some events? Well, I was wondering if there could be a true turret-filled defense station, designed as to have weapon systems independent from each other as to minimize firepower losses from localized system damage.

Is it possible to, say, put multiple instances of ARTILLERY_1 (that is, the triple heavy laser burst from the flagship and those militia ships) on a single ship? Instead of taking down the cannons one by one, you'd do better with trying to desync them first.

Wouldn't that be interesting? If used on optional-fight events, you'd really think twice before engaging them as per your scrap-collecting routine.

On another note: artillery system on asteroid-craved station taht shoots, well, asteroids. Thoughts?

BTW, do zero-area rooms still make the game crash? If they don't, I thought of something fun iunvolving a phantom space dragon.