FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.279/Inf 1.267/EL 1.275

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:11 pm

Right, that should work then. Again I'm only speculating. Now I'd say that if you use other mods alongside then that is most likely what causes the problem.
Shrooblord

Postby Shrooblord » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:17 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Right, that should work then. Again I'm only speculating. Now I'd say that if you use other mods alongside then that is most likely what causes problem.
It may just be, indeed! (I edited my post above.)
Off to testing.
Shrooblord

Postby Shrooblord » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:23 am

Shrooblord wrote:Off to testing.
I'm running into a problem. The changes I make in the blueprints.xml.append are being overwritten. I've made the following changes to check if anything was happening in-game:

Code: Select all

<crewBlueprint name="mantis">
   <desc>The Mantis' disregard for individual lives led to their evolution as a vicious warrior race.</desc>
   <title>Mantiz</title>
   <short>Mantiz</short>
   <cost>55</cost> <!--was 45-->
   <bp>2</bp>
   <rarity>2</rarity>
   <powerList>
      <power>Inflict 1.5x DAMAGE in combat</power>
      <power>1.2x move speed</power>
      <power>Halved repair speed</power>
      (...) <!-- Etc. the rest is the same as default. -->

These changes didn't come through. Not in the Hangar, nor in-game. I picked the Gila Monster because it has some Mantis crew to start off with. I realise I'm editing an xml.APPEND and so maybe my changes aren't being used in favour of the code already written in the original game's blueprint.xml, but if that's the case, then why are those race entries even in the blueprints.xml.append for CE to begin with?

EDIT:
Changing ship loadouts also doesn't have any effect this way.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:07 am

Hey sleeper... not sure if this is intentional or not...

But most often you got an option to prevent any combat (may give you goodies) if you got the zoltan shield (aka represent zoltan ship) and about to be engaged by a zoltan ship-

however this also applies to rogue "ai zoltan" ships that already killed there previous owners rather they were rogue or got hacked by rebels. I find it funny that a bunch of heartless rogue ai's who killed there own 'masters' or 'creators' which was one of the most peaceful races in game would listen to you for a surrender zoltan style. I mean it seems a bit odd to me... especially the rebel hacked part- as you are the ship they want to kill but apparently the ai's (possibly controlled by rebel hackers) are able to be peaceful with you- and even give you supplies.

(Also I think for one of the talking with your human crew events I believe, probably the event that he wants to 'desert' to go help his family)

After checking the code itself- I found it. line 24,058 right after "captain." on that line.

"I'am" is incorrect as the whole point the ' exists was to shorten the word after it to make a contraction which would be "I'm", otherwise it should be removed and have a space for "I am".
This time I even checked the dictionary and thesaurus like a sensible person before reporting this because last time apparently I was wrong or I misunderstood the context >.>
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Shrooblord

Postby Shrooblord » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:55 am

Hi R4V3-0N, I'm currently in the process of reviewing all use of language and grammar. Thanks for helping out! I'll get to that sooner or later, given that I can sort this issue out I posted just before you did.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:09 pm

(warning, fleet of useless ships ahead)
made a few type B and C's, For engi and rock ships, made a new militia and mantis ship, and now grammar.

Never thought I would see the day that there is grammar and me in the same sentence without the word bad somewhere there. My English teacher would be so proud.

By the way sleeper, I've been doing some recolours on some projects I was working on and I am wondering if any of these could be of any use.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image

Out of curiosity if any of these would be valuable or needed in CE. I kinda had them floating around in my mod files as well as this ol thing
ImageImageImage
I remembered I was fixing the front of this ol fella but I never quite finished the 2nd or 3rd one as that was when I didn't have much time to work on it or anything and I did recall these "Slug fighters" was kinda wanted in CE after the fixes

The gibs of most of these are already done so maybe sometime this weekend If these are needed at all I can easily send them to you- I will be polishing up the slug fighters (note: is the type A in good/ better condition then before?)
I also noticed the lack of zoltan type C and Mantis type C, I think I can take a gander at them possibly. I would assume stations of those would also be appreciated? (Also the zoltan station type B kinda has a monotonous colour kinda going with it instead of having the 3 'greens' colour, would this require a fix up as well?), I do know you kinda do not want to do more with CE and are busy with other things however this 'help' is mainly out of curiosity- the zoltan type B fix for the station won't be much of a problem i would guess as it's simply put that in and take the other out. While the others would actually require work such as coding and such.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:02 pm

Uhm, right. First of all: Those look great! I'd definitely like to integrate the black/red pirate variants, especially those of the federation and Rebel enemies. I don't think pirates can have light artillery vessels, but the recolour still looks great. Integrating those won't be much work as long as you stick to the standard procedure of matching the original image size and positioning on the recolours. The Slug fighter A looks totally feasible now, but integrating it would need some more time and I'm not sure whether the Slug really need four hull types. Integrating that hull would basically just mean remaking some existing layouts with a new hull, so that wouldn't add so much to the game anyway.

R4V3-0N wrote:I also noticed the lack of zoltan type C and Mantis type C, I think I can take a gander at them possibly. I would assume stations of those would also be appreciated? (Also the zoltan station type B kinda has a monotonous colour kinda going with it instead of having the 3 'greens' colour, would this require a fix up as well?)
Yeah, those variants and improvements would definitely be appreciated, as long is integrating them remains straight forward, meaning that they fit the original image size and positioning.

R4V3-0N wrote:But most often you got an option to prevent any combat (may give you goodies) if you got the zoltan shield (aka represent zoltan ship) and about to be engaged by a zoltan ship-

however this also applies to rogue "ai zoltan" ships that already killed there previous owners rather they were rogue or got hacked by rebels. I find it funny that a bunch of heartless rogue ai's who killed there own 'masters' or 'creators' which was one of the most peaceful races in game would listen to you for a surrender zoltan style. I mean it seems a bit odd to me... especially the rebel hacked part- as you are the ship they want to kill but apparently the ai's (possibly controlled by rebel hackers) are able to be peaceful with you- and even give you supplies.
Right, I tried to paint the sector as ambiguous about what the exact stance of the individual AI is, but I guess you are right to the extend that they are painted mostly as malicious. I wanted to imply that they can actually be reasoned with, but maybe that options are still off. Might get removed in the next update.

Shrooblord wrote:These changes didn't come through. Not in the Hangar, nor in-game. I picked the Gila Monster because it has some Mantis crew to start off with. I realise I'm editing an xml.APPEND and so maybe my changes aren't being used in favour of the code already written in the original game's blueprint.xml, but if that's the case, then why are those race entries even in the blueprints.xml.append for CE to begin with?
Chances are that some other mod is overwriting your changes. Potentially a mod that is loaded after this one. Append files are files that are added to existing files, non appends completely overwrite existing files which is not very useful. Didn't you mention that the mod worked on itself? So there seems to be no problem with your changes after all. I'll see about integrating them. On a more general note I'd advice against changing anything in vanilla events or item descriptions, as some users will perceive this as needless tangling with the files.
Shrooblord

Postby Shrooblord » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:41 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:
Shrooblord wrote:These changes didn't come through. Not in the Hangar, nor in-game. I picked the Gila Monster because it has some Mantis crew to start off with. I realise I'm editing an xml.APPEND and so maybe my changes aren't being used in favour of the code already written in the original game's blueprint.xml, but if that's the case, then why are those race entries even in the blueprints.xml.append for CE to begin with?
Chances are that some other mod is overwriting your changes. Potentially a mod that is loaded after this one. Append files are files that are added to existing files, non appends completely overwrite existing files which is not very useful. Didn't you mention that the mod worked on itself? So there seems to be no problem with your changes after all. I'll see about integrating them. On a more general note I'd advice against changing anything in vanilla events or item descriptions, as some users will perceive this as needless tangling with the files.
I thought of that, but in the interest of avoiding the crashing conflict I kept having, I was only testing the game using CE Resource and CE by itself. It still doesn't seem to want to accept my changes, but maybe that's because I'm trying to alter vanilla texts? Still, why are those texts included in CE if they can't be altered by modding them in the blueprints.xml.append supplied with CE?

Yeah I'll see if going through some more CE content gets accepted. But I'll have to change quite a lot to give myself a reasonable change to encounter the events in which I've changed text.
Anyway, off to work!
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:48 pm

Shrooblord wrote:Still, why are those texts included in CE if they can't be altered by modding them in the blueprints.xml.append supplied with CE?
Because I modified other aspect of the overarching blueprint (without making use of SMMs advanced features). For crew thats mainly their appearance. The text is just there cause its part of the mantis blueprint I overwrite.

The changes you made don't take affect because your mod doesn't mimic FTL's internal file structure. In that regard I also replied to you in the "Questions Here" thread.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:26 am

will start polishing up and getting the gibs in the right names and stuff soon.

Question for the slug: maybe make it a bit more interesting with maybe some specific weapon selections?
Also for that ship (which was intended as player but you know me- I make my player ships the size of enemy ships) I was going to split hte ship into 4 sections (for the type C with clone bay), the engines + 1-2 rooms, the Weapons +1 room, the Shields+1 room, and the helm (+the rest and the centre of the ship, by + I mean what is connected to it via doors) and due to how the player starts where crew are (ie if I have 4 crew I will have at least 1 slug or what ever at each station).
I am not sure if enemy crafts do this or they simply pile up near the helm and just go to the rooms later. if it is the "pile up at helm and go to systems!" Which by looking at some videos just now it is the "I am at this system!" and all extras will be at other systems.

That could be 1 of the lay outs. The others can be more normal but this one I mentioned isn't like those I've seen- I did see a few disconnected room ships (typically just 1 ie O2 on a mantis invader, rebel vintage (invader?) has disconnected Stealth, famous slug interceptor has disconnected O2 and Engines... etc)

Maybe this ship is centred on the more "Slug-esqe" weapons out there- fire and anti bio beams (along side hacking your shields out and stuff- could be with one of the layouts/ encounters)

I am also going to eventually be working on a "Tesla weapon" which is essentially a very big frame by frame animation sheet of a tesla weapon that would shoot out lightning towards the enemy ships direction and on the enemy side it has a "bomb" weapon with a big animation of lightning coming out from 1 of the sides or directions. Would perform similar to a stun effector with damage. (nothing to strong like 1-2 ion damage and 1-ish normal damage). Thought maybe that could be in CE maybe- at least maybe only in the form of a slug exclusive weapon- was just an idea to make this thing more special... however I am still debating on the art. There are many ways I can go with it... Some exmaples of ideas in my mind thus far.
[img]
http://img00.deviantart.net/0477/i/2013 ... 6lypkx.jpg[/img]
(note: last one is a ship, however I want to incorporate the twin spinning "tesla" guns in a form of a weapon)
Of coarse I am not trying to force anything onto the mod- just thinking of ways to make this slug ship more interesting.
(PS: the reason I really want to make this weapon is because Justin Ma himself wanted a form of a lightning or tesla weapon in game but never made it.)

The slugs have very interesting lore behind them and such and I find it kinda weird that in vanilla it's just droned out in nebula. -shrugs-
Anyway- you want most of the Rebels in the black and red colour scheme (also your opinions on the black and purple?), for eg the vintage rebels? I would assume the rebel ships with no pirate markings would be a nono- however considering what-little i know of the Red+ black in CE or black pirates in general (I mean in hull colour not racial slurs...) is that they are a bit better then normal pirates (for eg the "Pirate cruiser" that has stealth and everything nice)- I can see these high end pirate ships getting a hand on a Rebel er-... I have no idea what to call that thing- the thing that has 3 of the "Boss" artillery mounts even though I never saw 1 with said artillery weapons ^^;
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.