FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
R4V3-0N

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.279/Inf 1.267/EL 1.275

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:26 am

will start polishing up and getting the gibs in the right names and stuff soon.

Question for the slug: maybe make it a bit more interesting with maybe some specific weapon selections?
Also for that ship (which was intended as player but you know me- I make my player ships the size of enemy ships) I was going to split hte ship into 4 sections (for the type C with clone bay), the engines + 1-2 rooms, the Weapons +1 room, the Shields+1 room, and the helm (+the rest and the centre of the ship, by + I mean what is connected to it via doors) and due to how the player starts where crew are (ie if I have 4 crew I will have at least 1 slug or what ever at each station).
I am not sure if enemy crafts do this or they simply pile up near the helm and just go to the rooms later. if it is the "pile up at helm and go to systems!" Which by looking at some videos just now it is the "I am at this system!" and all extras will be at other systems.

That could be 1 of the lay outs. The others can be more normal but this one I mentioned isn't like those I've seen- I did see a few disconnected room ships (typically just 1 ie O2 on a mantis invader, rebel vintage (invader?) has disconnected Stealth, famous slug interceptor has disconnected O2 and Engines... etc)

Maybe this ship is centred on the more "Slug-esqe" weapons out there- fire and anti bio beams (along side hacking your shields out and stuff- could be with one of the layouts/ encounters)

I am also going to eventually be working on a "Tesla weapon" which is essentially a very big frame by frame animation sheet of a tesla weapon that would shoot out lightning towards the enemy ships direction and on the enemy side it has a "bomb" weapon with a big animation of lightning coming out from 1 of the sides or directions. Would perform similar to a stun effector with damage. (nothing to strong like 1-2 ion damage and 1-ish normal damage). Thought maybe that could be in CE maybe- at least maybe only in the form of a slug exclusive weapon- was just an idea to make this thing more special... however I am still debating on the art. There are many ways I can go with it... Some exmaples of ideas in my mind thus far.
[img]
http://img00.deviantart.net/0477/i/2013 ... 6lypkx.jpg[/img]
(note: last one is a ship, however I want to incorporate the twin spinning "tesla" guns in a form of a weapon)
Of coarse I am not trying to force anything onto the mod- just thinking of ways to make this slug ship more interesting.
(PS: the reason I really want to make this weapon is because Justin Ma himself wanted a form of a lightning or tesla weapon in game but never made it.)

The slugs have very interesting lore behind them and such and I find it kinda weird that in vanilla it's just droned out in nebula. -shrugs-
Anyway- you want most of the Rebels in the black and red colour scheme (also your opinions on the black and purple?), for eg the vintage rebels? I would assume the rebel ships with no pirate markings would be a nono- however considering what-little i know of the Red+ black in CE or black pirates in general (I mean in hull colour not racial slurs...) is that they are a bit better then normal pirates (for eg the "Pirate cruiser" that has stealth and everything nice)- I can see these high end pirate ships getting a hand on a Rebel er-... I have no idea what to call that thing- the thing that has 3 of the "Boss" artillery mounts even though I never saw 1 with said artillery weapons ^^;
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Pigbear

Postby Pigbear » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:15 am

Is EL supposed to take over 5 minutes to install? It's been sitting there a while.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:19 am

Pigbear wrote:Is EL supposed to take over 5 minutes to install? It's been sitting there a while.

I personally never installed it, but when I installed CE recently- as well as looking at everything EL does- I can assume EL is VERY big.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Pigbear

Postby Pigbear » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:05 am

I did forget the mention the command line for SMM is saying that the java ran out of heap memory, I think that's an issue.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:24 am

Just before I start making the gibs all out- Do these set of rebel ships tickle your fancy sleeper?

ImageImage Image Image
ImageImage ImageImage

I added extra gradients to the Vintage rebels as due to there simplistic-ish geometry and shading it was very bland without the gradients. Normally I do not do gradients because I often over do it however with these simple wide hulls I think they turned out pretty well.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Estel

Postby Estel » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:40 am

I wholehearthly agree that "vintage" rebels were lacking deepth and looked quite bland, compared to other, awesome CE's ships. I always shaked my head when encountering vintages - even after some work on them, they still looked like ripped from "other story".

The added gradient seems to fix 90% of the "alien look" problem. I hope that non-pirate ones can get "gradiented", too.

/Estel
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:12 am

Estel wrote:I wholehearthly agree that "vintage" rebels were lacking deepth and looked quite bland, compared to other, awesome CE's ships. I always shaked my head when encountering vintages - even after some work on them, they still looked like ripped from "other story".

The added gradient seems to fix 90% of the "alien look" problem. I hope that non-pirate ones can get "gradiented", too.

/Estel

This is the first time I added gradients and someone asks me to add more gradients instead of simply remove the ones I just did xD

I may do that to the non-pirate ones. However the problem here is that I kinda do not want to edit all the gibs again as not only is it tedious but also pointless in my mind as the thing is no one would notice it- as well as most of the destroying part of the enemy is covered by explosions and the moving makes it hard to notice as well.

Yea- the vintage rebel ships 'look' bad because it is like the kestrel- made very early in a time that the game was going for more and more simplistic view, then the more and more new ships made the older ones look bad (ie slugs and kestrel is the oldest vanilla ships, compare them to the Federation cruiser, engi ships, rock, crystal, etc... and then the newer guys- the rebels... and even more newer- the lanius)
So they updated them.

Justin Ma (the dev and artist) does lurk on the modding page for the forum as well as use some mods (ie CE) so when he checked back and found out we put his early works back in with CE he probably false palmed with embarrassment and wondering how the hell did I even get it back in game xD
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:38 pm

Ha, so once upon a time I learned that the gradient tool is evil. The examples there don't really fit our problem at hand here, but the thing is that the old Rebel ships look flat for shading reasons and because it uses a very limited palette. I don't think gradient really fixes that.

If you compare the new and old rigger you'll see that the new one has much more different shades on the wing sections. Also the "top" of the wings don't have the same shading on both sides, the left one is slightly shaded and the right one is as bright as the rest of the ship. In the mid section there are also much more shadows that the ships protruding parts drop on the ship body. In generall, the old riggers use a smaller color palette, basically just three shades instead of the about five (?) that the new rigger uses. Ultimately its that stuff that makes the new rigger look more plastic, all of this is missing on the old rigger, but adding it would make the ship look as plastic as the rest of FTL stuff, without falling back on gradient shading, something that FTL art does only very selectively.

That said I understand that adding more shades and more shading detailed would be a lot of work, so I'll still take the shaded variant, given that the gibs match.

The idea for more disconnected Slug ship layouts sounds good. As far as I can tell since AE crew is spawned at the systems they man, so it would be possible to spread crew across multiple ship sections. That would makes individual crew more vulnerable, but the whole ship better protected against boarding, which might indeed be an interesting challenge.
Krazyguy75

Postby Krazyguy75 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:31 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:...gradient tool is evil...

Can confirm, I saw a post about using gradients, and my reaction was "Eh... it worked OK here, but it doesn't really make me happy."

I think that, if you want to improve the rebel ships, rather than using gradients, add more complexity to the ships themselves, like additional decals and small pieces of equipment to break up the large flat surfaces into more complex shapes. Even adding dividing lines would help in some ways.
Pigbear

Postby Pigbear » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:54 pm

After letting EL sit on SMM for half an hour it still hasn't installed, here's my SMM output if it's any help.

Code: Select all

INFO  FTLModManager - Using FTL dats path from config: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FTL Faster Than Light\resources
ERROR JacksonAutoUpdateReader - com.fasterxml.jackson.core.JsonParseException: Unexpected character ('"' (code 34)): was expecting comma to separate ARRAY entries
 at [Source: .\backup\auto_update.json; line: 19, column: 8]
INFO  ModsScanThread - Background hashing finished.
INFO  ModsScanThread - Background metadata caching finished.
INFO  ManagerFrame -
INFO  ManagerFrame - Patching...
INFO  ManagerFrame -
INFO  ModPatchThread - Restoring vanilla "data.dat"...
INFO  ModPatchThread - Restoring vanilla "resource.dat"...
INFO  ModPatchThread -
INFO  ModPatchThread - Installing mod: Better Planets and Backgrounds_v1.3.1.ftl
INFO  ModPatchThread -
INFO  ModPatchThread - Installing mod: better_asteroids.ftl
INFO  ModPatchThread -
INFO  ModPatchThread - Installing mod: CE Resource Pack 1.27.ftl
WARN  ModPatchThread - Clobbering earlier mods: img/main_menus/main_base2.png
INFO  ModPatchThread -
INFO  ModPatchThread - Installing mod: FTL Captains Edition 1.279.ftl
INFO  ModPatchThread -
INFO  ModPatchThread - Installing mod: CE BPaB Compatibility Patch 1.0.ftl
INFO  ModPatchThread -
INFO  ModPatchThread - Installing mod: CE Additional Music Addon 1.266.ftl
WARN  ModPatchThread - Clobbering earlier mods: data/.dropbox
INFO  ModPatchThread -
INFO  ModPatchThread - Installing mod: CE Infinite Addon 1.267.ftl
WARN  ModPatchThread - Clobbering earlier mods: data/blueprints.xml.append~
WARN  ModPatchThread - Clobbering earlier mods: data/sector_data.xml.append~
WARN  ModPatchThread - Clobbering earlier mods: data/events_nebula.xml.append~
INFO  ModPatchThread -
INFO  ModPatchThread - Installing mod: CE Additional Music Infinite Compatibility Patch 1.0.ftl
WARN  ModPatchThread - Clobbering earlier mods: data/sector_data.xml.append~
WARN  ModPatchThread - Clobbering earlier mods: data/sounds.xml.append~
WARN  ModPatchThread - Clobbering earlier mods: data/.dropbox
WARN  ModPatchThread - Clobbering earlier mods: data/animations.xml.append~
WARN  ModPatchThread - Clobbering earlier mods: data/events_nebula.xml.append~
WARN  ModPatchThread - Clobbering earlier mods: data/blueprints.xml.append~
INFO  ModPatchThread -
INFO  ModPatchThread - Installing mod: EL Texture Pack 1.27.ftl
WARN  ModPatchThread - Clobbering earlier mods: img/weapons/ba_effector_impact_1_strip9.png
INFO  ModPatchThread -
INFO  ModPatchThread - Installing mod: CE Endless Loot Addon for CE Infinite 1.275.ftl
Exception in thread "Thread-6" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
        at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.expandCapacity(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.ensureCapacityInternal(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.append(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.StringBuffer.append(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.StringWriter.write(Unknown Source)
        at org.jdom2.output.support.AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.write(AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.java:342)
        at org.jdom2.output.support.AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.textRaw(AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.java:419)
        at org.jdom2.output.support.AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.printContent(AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.java:932)
        at net.vhati.modmanager.core.SloppyXMLOutputProcessor.printElement(SloppyXMLOutputProcessor.java:113)
        at org.jdom2.output.support.AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.printContent(AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.java:946)
        at net.vhati.modmanager.core.SloppyXMLOutputProcessor.printElement(SloppyXMLOutputProcessor.java:113)
        at org.jdom2.output.support.AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.printContent(AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.java:946)
        at org.jdom2.output.support.AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.printDocument(AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.java:533)
        at org.jdom2.output.support.AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.process(AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.java:191)
        at org.jdom2.output.XMLOutputter.output(XMLOutputter.java:822)
        at net.vhati.modmanager.core.SloppyXMLOutputProcessor.sloppyPrint(SloppyXMLOutputProcessor.java:165)
        at net.vhati.modmanager.core.ModUtilities.patchXMLFile(ModUtilities.java:228)
        at net.vhati.modmanager.core.ModPatchThread.patch(ModPatchThread.java:236)
        at net.vhati.modmanager.core.ModPatchThread.run(ModPatchThread.java:88)

It's still running right now incase it does decide to change