FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Russian Rockman

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.25/Inf 1.25/EL 1.25b

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:42 am

FortunaDraken wrote:This popped up when I arrived at a new becon. There was no enemy, and I don't even have that augment.

EDIT: And I'm on the latest build now, so yeah, new/remaining bug

I've also always thought the wording if the irradiator augment flavor text might imply that your crew is upset with you. It may confuse people who are new to the mod, but it doesn't seem to have been a problem so far.
Isdariel

Postby Isdariel » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:04 pm

I don't want to turn this into a "omg look what happened to me, change it!", but I have a question concerning the events:
-is there a vanilla/AE event which can make you lose a crewmember no matter what you pick? (usually you can just fly away, or take the cautious approach or whatever)
Doesn't have to be a sure kill, this would suffice:
choice A - lose random crewmember 10% chance, some other effect1
choice B - lose random crewmember 25% chance, some other effect2

If the answer is yes, then nevermind.
But if the answer is no, then I'd suggest you change those new events added to give you more control. I've just lost two games (Engi-B AE layout) to the rebel "he was a traitor all along!" event where you have the choice between "security alert!" and "wait, we can talk about this!" (or similar). And no matter what you pick, you (can) lose your crewmember, which is instant game-over for Engi-B. Kinda frustrating.

Regards,
Isdariel
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:01 pm

Isdariel wrote:I don't want to turn this into a "omg look what happened to me, change it!", but I have a question concerning the events:
-is there a vanilla/AE event which can make you lose a crewmember no matter what you pick? (usually you can just fly away, or take the cautious approach or whatever)
Doesn't have to be a sure kill, this would suffice:
choice A - lose random crewmember 10% chance, some other effect1
choice B - lose random crewmember 25% chance, some other effect2

That is one of my favorite events because of how unique it is. ;) Too bad you got that so often though. :lol:

I believe that if you choose the "Remind your crew member of everything you've been through together" option, there is a small chance of not losing them. There is also a way to prevent losing your crew member through a hidden blue option. You need another type of crew member that could sense your crew's betrayal. ;)

As far as I know this is the only event that guarantees you lose a crew member, and I personally have never gotten it more than once in a run. However, this is a common event that people complain about so maybe it could use some extra blue options... Maybe something with mind control (turns out your crew member was just a brainwashed sleeper agent :cry:)? Maybe you could even attempt to use some scrap to bribe your crew member?
Estel

Postby Estel » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:16 pm

Russian Rockman wrote:Maybe you could even attempt to use some scrap to bribe your crew member?

...and then execute him instantly, or he betrays you again on another beacon ;) It would be hell of "unrealistic" (in-lore) to have such guys stay loyal to you, afterwards.

/Estel
Isdariel

Postby Isdariel » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:14 pm

Additional blue events won't help since you'd still got the chance to lose the game - and you can do nothing against it. This is different from guaranteed hull damage which is a basic stat you should watch out for. If you don't have enough hull points you should hit a repair shop soon anyway. If you then hit a bad event which hits you for 4-6 hull damage it is kinda your own fault.

Btw, to make things worse: It's cool that you can prevent the bad outcome if you have a slug in your crew. Chances are low for you though if you have only one crewmember to begin with. ;)

As a quick fix I could imagine to disable the event in the case that you have only a single crewmember, but I'd rather see a cleaner solution. Maybe something along the lines of "Bribe him to stay with your crew".

-----

On a different note:
For all the events where losing a crewmember is reasonable non-random, would it be possible to change it in a way to be able to select one of your crewmembers? (e.g. I don't have a rockman to put out the fire, so I send in the least valuable teammember I have. Coming to think of it, that would actually make a nice twist for that event: Sending in the rock-member wouldn't necessarily be highlighted more than any other choice - and those who pay attention to the lore and in-game stats would be able to make the connection to send the rockman in instead of the mantis.)
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:18 pm

Russian Rockman wrote: There is also a way to prevent losing your crew member through a hidden blue option. You need another type of crew member that could sense your crew's betrayal

That's why I try and get a Slug as soon as possible.
"You're a traitor? Yeah we knew that all along."
"Oh. Guess I'll shut up then..." *goes back to work*

Why can't the same be done for those Coreworlders. You know, I help out Simon Tam... I mean those guys who want a ride to another beacon and sometimes I land on an alien world and can buy some cattle or I get paid and a complaint about "Coreworlders" and then you have the event where it's like:

"Thanks for the ride. FYI I am a Rebel."

Did he also have a Mind Shield or something throughout the whole trip? Because if a Slug can pick up the fact one of the crew is a Rebel, I'm pretty sure they can run a bit of screening before letting a spy onboard. So the event should then have an option like this:

"Yeah we knew that. You really thought you were transmitting data to your superiors throughout the whole trip without us knowing? They've got the wrong co-ordinates."
Then the Rebel curses the Federation scum and closes transmission. No loss of fleet pursuit. Sort of like that drone that's been following me around.

If you then hit a bad event which hits you for 4-6 hull damage it is kinda your own fault.

Or what about you have Long Range Scanners, you're low on fuel and you still end up outside of a Singularity? Now you've got to risk the Rebels catching up and those damned nervously chuckling Slugs who jump as soon as you say "No, I don't want your fuel."
Estel

Postby Estel » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:25 pm

Isdariel wrote:Additional blue events won't help since you'd still got the chance to lose the game - and you can do nothing against it. This is different from guaranteed hull damage which is a basic stat you should watch out for.

Well, you can as well get hit by shield-passing anti-crew gun twice/triple in the same room, also losing the game instantly. Having only one crew member is a risk no matter what, and it would feel silly to limit such possibility through events - this is a risk intended for one-crew ships, and it's your job to mitigate them. Either by gaining crew member ASAP, or by getting augments that show you map, so you can avoid empty beacons... Or just getting screwed by that event on 1st beacon, which can happen with any ship, to be honest (getting screwed on first beacon, not necessary by this event).

stylesrj wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:Why can't the same be done for those Coreworlders. You know, I help out Simon Tam... I mean those guys who want a ride to another beacon and sometimes I land on an alien world and can buy some cattle or I get paid and a complaint about "Coreworlders" and then you have the event where it's like:

"Thanks for the ride. FYI I am a Rebel."

Did he also have a Mind Shield or something throughout the whole trip? Because if a Slug can pick up the fact one of the crew is a Rebel, I'm pretty sure they can run a bit of screening before letting a spy onboard. So the event should then have an option like this:

"Yeah we knew that. You really thought you were transmitting data to your superiors throughout the whole trip without us knowing? They've got the wrong co-ordinates."
Then the Rebel curses the Federation scum and closes transmission. No loss of fleet pursuit. Sort of like that drone that's been following me around.

This is good idea - I think this event could use slug blue option.

/Estel
Isdariel

Postby Isdariel » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:46 pm

Estel wrote:Well, you can as well get hit by shield-passing anti-crew gun twice/triple in the same room, also losing the game instantly. [...]Or just getting screwed by that event on 1st beacon, which can happen with any ship, to be honest (getting screwed on first beacon, not necessary by this event).
Yes, of cause. Bad things can happen all the time, losing is part of the fun etc.etc. I'm all on your side on that, I don't want to make it easier just for the sake of making it easier. But what I don't like - and I suppose that is the reason why "this is a common event that people complain about" - is the arbitrariness in this case. It is very non-interactive. When I get hit 2-3 times in a row in the same room by a shield-passing anti-crew gun at least I got time to react and can send him to the medbay. If I don't do that because I'm feeling lucky, at least it is my own fault. Lose by combat always feels more interactive than lose by event anyhow: Even against some pretty stark combo I can try to stall and jump away.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:06 pm

Lose by combat always feels more interactive than lose by event anyhow: Even against some pretty stark combo I can try to stall and jump away.

Unless you end up in a Singularity your Long Range Scanners couldn't detect and you run out of fuel.
Estel

Postby Estel » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:51 pm

Isdariel wrote:It is very non-interactive. When I get hit 2-3 times in a row in the same room by a shield-passing anti-crew gun at least I got time to react and can send him to the medbay.

I meant the situation, when you get hit 3 times in a row by anti-crew laser that shots such volley in one shot, and it's enough to kill your crew member ;) It's rare, but can happen. Even more often, you get hit twice, send your crew member to medbay immediately via auto-pause, and he got shot by rest of the volley on his way there. Not very interactive either (keep him where he is - he may get shot again, move him - he may get shot as well), but happens.

With the event, at least, you have fair chance (50%, I guess) to NOT lose your crew member, by reminding him of what you were through together.

/Estel