FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
kartoFlane

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.091

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:51 pm

Alvarin wrote:I can't run this mod with either Slipstream or GMM since 1.051, I think. It has the new loading screen, but when the load bar finishes loading, nothing happens. When I try to force quit, it crashes. Tried both alone and with other mods. Every other mod I tried worked. HELP!

Try this, and then install CE again.

KJ4VOV wrote:
The Captain wrote:*snip*

The way the nuns taught me (albeit some half a century ago) was that both halves of a sentence containing a semicolon should be able to stand on their own as sentences.

That's what I was taught too, though more recently ;) However, semicolon has more uses than that (wikipedia page presents them quite nicely).

The correct answer depends on what exactly the other sentence was about... But using the following excerpt:
Between independent clauses linked with a transitional phrase or a conjunctive adverb
And the following example sentence:
It can occur in both melodic and harmonic lines; however, it is subject to certain restraints.
as a basis, I would hazard a guess that semicolon would indeed fit (though a comma would, as well) :P

:geek:
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Kartoffelr

Postby Kartoffelr » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:36 pm

I encountered a Rock outpost and killed the crew. The text said something about "you find some usable repair drone".
But i neither get hull hp restored or a repair drone. Just some scrap.
05eolsale

Postby 05eolsale » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:31 pm

Sleeper plz read

The unknown sector weaponry is bugged i save unknown race ship they state in text they give me unknown race weapon but i do not get any weaponry also test your unknown crewmember conversations it said it was growing a experimental weapon it gave me the weapon in text but i did not get any weapon

sry for grammar learning english
i used Infinite space and newest CE i got all the stuff that is supposed to be in CE
thy for any response
Kartoffelr

Postby Kartoffelr » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:57 pm

@05eolsale
Infinite Space and CE are not compatible.
KJ4VOV

Postby KJ4VOV » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:33 pm

Mantis B ship... whooo-boy, that's a hard one to play under CE! I just did a little experiment, 100 games using the Mantis B. Out of those 100 games there were 76 that never even made it out of the first sector, and of the remaining 24, only 8 made it to the third sector, and none made it to the fourth. :o

Set on EASY. :shock:

Now yeah, I could have just had a really bad string with the RNG, but I think a better answer is that the ship configuration pretty much sucks. The only offensive weapon the ship has is that boosterless boarding drone, and the possibility of any kind of functional weapons upgrade is pretty damn slim.

The boarding drone is fine if you're facing an opponent that has no medbay, no defense drones, and all ship's rooms connected. Which describes maybe 1 ship in 3 in the first couple of sectors. Against anything else the bloody thing is just a waste of power and drone parts.

Meanwhile, you have no other weapons at all, and even if you find one or get lucky enough to make it to a store that actually has weapons (instead of high priced drones or just more crew), you then need to hope it doesn't require more than one bar of power (because the price for that next bar is 60 scrap, which you don't have because you don't have any decent weapons to get more scrap with - rinse, lather, repeat), doesn't require a missile (you start with zero), and that you can hold your breath long enough to use it without dropping shields. And speaking of shields, having level 2 shields is nice, but you have no evasion ability at all, so every enemy shot is almost guaranteed to hit. Against an enemy with multiple weapons (ie: just about ALL of them) you're a sitting duck. And your damn Mantis crew is all thumbs (claws?) when it comes to fixing what's going to get broken.

I'm all for giving the player a challenge, but this goes beyond "challenge" and gets deep into "you bleeping sonofabi..." territory.

Something needs to change, maybe even multiple somethings. The inability to meaningfully upgrade weapons in the first sector (for all intents and purposes due to the extreme cost and negative likelihood of locating anything to upgrade to) is what I'd address. Maybe a slow missile weapon? Lower cost for that second weapons bar? Start with two bars (and one more bar of power)?

Or how about ditching the useless defense drone (the only purpose it really serves is its trade-in value when you finally get to a store with something you want to buy - or for trying to just survive long enough against a missile wielding foe, or in an asteroid zone, to power up the FTL and jump) in favor of an offensive drone?

Hell, I'd even be happy with a couple more crew! As it is now you only get two, and while you can teleport you're pretty much condemning anyone who does to death because the enemy crew will likely kill them before your teleporter recharges and you can bring them back. And sending any crew off the ship completely negates whatever evasion ability you may have upgraded to, since that requires two crew to function (one at the helm, the other in the engine bay), and pretty much turns the ship into a space-going pinata. At least if you had a third or fourth crewman you could teleport them. (Provided you're not battling one of those mother fwonking AI ships with no air and no fwonking doors between compartments that seem to make up 50% of the ships you encounter... and most will have level 3 or 4 missile weapons to boot.)
Due to the rising cost of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.
Nider_01

Postby Nider_01 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:37 pm

I won with this ship one time because I found swarm missle drone in first sector. ;)
Kartoffelr

Postby Kartoffelr » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:57 pm

I managed to get to sector 8 some times already with the mantis B. It all depends on many "boarding-friendly" enemies at the begin and/or a lucky weapon drop. A lot of patience allows you to kill some of the auto-scouts aswell (Teleporter II + Boarding Drone).
After you have a weapon you can still use the Teleporter to damage the shield systems and then finish of the scouts even with a shitty 1-shot laser.

The biggest problem IMO are the swarm missiles. Many enemies use them, if they have a crew you can hope to kill them before more then 1-2 missiles hit you. Auto-Scouts with swarm missiles are your nightmare.

But i am happy to see that i am not the only one complaining, and not the one who has the biggest problems using this ship :D

btw, check out this situation. I find this both amusing and satisfying.
lol whatever go on.jpg
Last edited by Kartoffelr on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:08 pm

The ship will probably become a little easier due to the coming changes to auto encounter likelihood. Apart from that it is almost the ship itself is touched little by CE. Weaker boarding drone, slightly better defence drone and no guns, almost the same as vanilla. Weak early on, later it can easily become a cakewalk later, even with the amount of internal security some ships gained in CE.
Elemental_Chaos69

Postby Elemental_Chaos69 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:05 pm

Mr. Mister wrote:
Elemental_Chaos69 wrote:I have tried to install this mod several times but it crashes after loading it shows title screen but just freezes and corrupts my whole game can you or someone make a video or picture tutorial of how you install it just to be sure if I am doing it wrong

Try redownloading, somehow it happens quite often that the download was erroneous.

I tried redownloading it but same thing it gets to the title screen the music sometimes plays but it just freezes
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:32 pm

Yo sleepy, this seems more like a bug on the game's part rather than your fault, but you should check it out nonetheless.

It seems that, when you get hacked by combat augments, and even if the UI doesn't show so, system damage might stack up in some way with the hacked bars: I've had it happen two times that, with three drone bars hacked and one system damage, it behaved as if it had four bars unusable. I've also seen the same happen to GrumpyBiz with weapons:
http://youtu.be/KRTNqtkNJIE?t=6m52s

Investigate it (using a modified version of that Ship Testing Environment that summons hacking enemies and firing at yourself with bombs would be a nice way to test it), and report it to the devs if it's a bug on their end.