Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.24/Inf 1.24/EL 1.24

Postby FortunaDraken » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:49 am

All seems fine, so awesome c:

Also holy new start screen! Shiny, I like it~
rannl

Postby rannl » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:35 am

Here's a question for the collective hive mind :
The work on the Flagship generation tool is coming up nicely, with the tool being very dynamic in nature - when released, a lot of content could be randomly generated.
So here's the idea I wanted your comments on :
How about adding a tool which randomized the starting ships ?
Each ship could have its starting weapons selected randomly from a pool matching the nature of the ship (burst laser for kestrels, beams for zoltans, fire weapons for rocks, crew damaging weapons for slugs, etc..).
Same goes for augments. Systems might also enjoy some variance, as well as the ship basic layout. Crew members as well. A small back story for each ship will also appear in the hanger.

I'd love your thoughts on this issue, so don't be shy ;)
Estel

Postby Estel » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:08 pm

If it's possible to decide "poo!" of possible things separately for variants A, B, and C, then it's great idea. Otherwise, it could be problematic, as there are ships that play vastly differently between variants.

What do you mean by randomizing "layout"? It is about floors and rooms placement?

/Estel
rannl

Postby rannl » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:38 pm

Estel wrote:If it's possible to decide "poo!" of possible things separately for variants A, B, and C, then it's great idea. Otherwise, it could be problematic, as there are ships that play vastly differently between variants.

Each variant will have its own pool, in keeping with the specific game style theme of each ship and variant type.

Estel wrote:What do you mean by randomizing "layout"? It is about floors and rooms placement?

Correct, maybe even some little variations in the ship images.
aaaaaa50

Postby aaaaaa50 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:43 pm

Hey, I found out that you're trying to make a randomized flagship mod. Which is awesome. This thread is really big, though, so forgive me if this has already been clarified: Are you going to make a version that will work with normal FTL? I love CE, but randomized flagships is... kinda a missing feature with vanilla. It'd be really nice to make a version that works without all of CE's bells and whistles. Especially since not everyone likes CE's stuff but I think almost everyone would like giving a randomized flagship a try.
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
rannl

Postby rannl » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:24 pm

aaaaaa50 wrote:Hey, I found out that you're trying to make a randomized flagship mod. Which is awesome. This thread is really big, though, so forgive me if this has already been clarified: Are you going to make a version that will work with normal FTL? I love CE, but randomized flagships is... kinda a missing feature with vanilla. It'd be really nice to make a version that works without all of CE's bells and whistles. Especially since not everyone likes CE's stuff but I think almost everyone would like giving a randomized flagship a try.

The flagship and starting ship generation tool, while initiated from CE development, will work as a seperate tool which can work outside of CE.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:24 pm

rannl wrote:The flagship and starting ship generation tool, while initiated from CE development, will work as a seperate tool which can work outside of CE.

Wow, that is amazing. While I think the CE stuff would make for an even more interesting flagship the fact that the tool will work with vanilla is awesome. I am glad because if the tool is dynamic then that means that other people will be able to create their own flagship designs and add them to the pool.

rannl wrote:Here's a question for the collective hive mind :
The work on the Flagship generation tool is coming up nicely, with the tool being very dynamic in nature - when released, a lot of content could be randomly generated.
So here's the idea I wanted your comments on :
How about adding a tool which randomized the starting ships ?
Each ship could have its starting weapons selected randomly from a pool matching the nature of the ship (burst laser for kestrels, beams for zoltans, fire weapons for rocks, crew damaging weapons for slugs, etc..).
Same goes for augments. Systems might also enjoy some variance, as well as the ship basic layout. Crew members as well. A small back story for each ship will also appear in the hanger.

I'd love your thoughts on this issue, so don't be shy ;)

This sounds like a good idea just to add even more variety to the ships. It would be good for people who do not know how to mod. It doesn't sound as promising as the flagship randomization tool, but this is a good idea nonetheless.

If you made this tool, one thing that might potentially be awesome is an option to customize the "color" of your ship. I'm really not entirely sure if that is possible, but I was thinking you could maybe 1.) Have a slider that adjusts the hue, or 2.) Have a few pre-made re-colorations of different ships and an option to choose one of them. I just thought this would be awesome because I was messing around with the hue of the ship hulls the other day and found how easy it is to change the color.

Perhaps it would also be awesome to have a "construction" option where, instead of your ship being randomized, you have maybe a certain amount of "scrap" that you can spend on systems, initial upgrades, weapons, augments, and maybe even crew. So you can customize how your ship will start. And what would be really awesome is if you could make it so this is different for each ship type, for example zoltan ships would have a discount for zoltan crew, engi ships would have a discount on drone control and drones, etc...

And finally, if you're going to randomize the starting layouts, you may want to do that for every single ship. That way one run of the tool will technically give the player 16 new ships to play with, so that way they don't have to run the tool every time they are doing another run. You could also maybe have an option where players can choose which ships they want t randomize so the tool does not randomize a ship the player doesn't want randomized for some reason.
rannl

Postby rannl » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:06 pm

Russian Rockman wrote:If you made this tool, one thing that might potentially be awesome is an option to customize the "color" of your ship. I'm really not entirely sure if that is possible, but I was thinking you could maybe 1.) Have a slider that adjusts the hue, or 2.) Have a few pre-made re-colorations of different ships and an option to choose one of them. I just thought this would be awesome because I was messing around with the hue of the ship hulls the other day and found how easy it is to change the color.

Randomized ship images can be added, but not selected - the tool will randomly pick one image set.

Russian Rockman wrote:Perhaps it would also be awesome to have a "construction" option where, instead of your ship being randomized, you have maybe a certain amount of "scrap" that you can spend on systems, initial upgrades, weapons, augments, and maybe even crew. So you can customize how your ship will start. And what would be really awesome is if you could make it so this is different for each ship type, for example zoltan ships would have a discount for zoltan crew, engi ships would have a discount on drone control and drones, etc...

This sounds like a nice idea, it's a different tool which adds an aspect I would personally like to see in FTL. This could be the next project after the random flagship/starting ships tools.

Russian Rockman wrote:And finally, if you're going to randomize the starting layouts, you may want to do that for every single ship. That way one run of the tool will technically give the player 16 new ships to play with, so that way they don't have to run the tool every time they are doing another run. You could also maybe have an option where players can choose which ships they want t randomize so the tool does not randomize a ship the player doesn't want randomized for some reason.

The ship randomizing would be done on all ships. The option to randomize only some of the ships would depend on what sort of assets each user would provide the tool, meaning this would be up to the players.

Great comments RR, always happy to get your inputs :)
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:59 am

Beat the game, and swedish symphonic metal started playing for two minutes, drowning out the credits.

Not sure if feature or bug.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:14 am

I think that's a feature. A rocking awesome feature!