FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
CoryStarkiller
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:37 am

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.23/Inf 1.23/EL 1.23

Postby CoryStarkiller » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:46 pm

dalolorn wrote:If SMM were to save a copy of its mod list every time it patched (and overwrote that copy if it already existed, mind you!)

Unless I misunderstand what you are talking about, SMM already does this.
In your SMM's mods folder there is a modorer.txt.
It does what you are talking about.

You can even edit it yourself and the correct order shows up in SMM the next time you run it.
User avatar
Estel
Posts: 465
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:03 am

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.23/Inf 1.23/EL 1.23

Postby Estel » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:29 am

kartoFlane wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to just have the script construct an .ftl file for the user, so that they can install it themselves? This has the advantage of being the simplest solution, as well as the user having the same flagship mod until they run the script again, allowing to install it again or share it with others, if they liked it.

Sure it's not as elegant as a dedicated installer, but it works without any hacks or workarounds :lol:


+1. Sometimes, less is better.
rannl
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:13 pm

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.23/Inf 1.23/EL 1.23

Postby rannl » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:55 am

Estel wrote:
kartoFlane wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to just have the script construct an .ftl file for the user, so that they can install it themselves? This has the advantage of being the simplest solution, as well as the user having the same flagship mod until they run the script again, allowing to install it again or share it with others, if they liked it.

Sure it's not as elegant as a dedicated installer, but it works without any hacks or workarounds :lol:


+1. Sometimes, less is better.


Agreed, Sleepy concurs as well. I guess we'll go for a flagship generation tool which will create a random build each time it's run, outputting it in a .ftl file.
dalolorn
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:06 am
Location: R.S. Dominator

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.23/Inf 1.23/EL 1.23

Postby dalolorn » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:45 am

CoryStarkiller wrote:
dalolorn wrote:If SMM were to save a copy of its mod list every time it patched (and overwrote that copy if it already existed, mind you!)

Unless I misunderstand what you are talking about, SMM already does this.
In your SMM's mods folder there is a modorer.txt.
It does what you are talking about.

You can even edit it yourself and the correct order shows up in SMM the next time you run it.


As far as I remember, SMM will load the correct order, but will also uncheck all the mods it patched in last time. It's not just a matter of knowing how something was patched, but what that something was.
Russian Rockman
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:43 pm

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.23/Inf 1.23/EL 1.23

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:17 am

I agree with Sleeper about the flagship having only a few pre-made weapons. I don't think it should differ as drastically as EL. I was just hoping for maybe some bomb, flak, mine, scatter, and maybe effector weapons instead of just the standard 4 it always has.

I hope that you can figure out whatever problem the flagship script will have. I knew that it would obviously have to be run only once every new run rather than every new game. Because of that I think you could give the player the option to look at their "secret data" at game start.
To keep the flagship a bit of a "mystery" each time, I was thinking you could give a vague-ish description of the flagship only, something like the rebel flagship appears to be equipped with advanced shielding, fast firing weaponry, mind control tech, drones, etc...
Another possibility would be to scatter some events around and if you happen on these events you can "decode" more of your secret data and gain more info on the flagship. Through crew, hiring help at a station station, random encounters etc...

rannl wrote:
Estel wrote:
kartoFlane wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to just have the script construct an .ftl file for the user, so that they can install it themselves? This has the advantage of being the simplest solution, as well as the user having the same flagship mod until they run the script again, allowing to install it again or share it with others, if they liked it.

Sure it's not as elegant as a dedicated installer, but it works without any hacks or workarounds :lol:


+1. Sometimes, less is better.


Agreed, Sleepy concurs as well. I guess we'll go for a flagship generation tool which will create a random build each time it's run, outputting it in a .ftl file.


I like this idea the best. It's quite simple. :) I could make a mod right now that gives the flagship a clone bay on phase 3, for example. Or I could make a mod that gave the flagship a Zoltan shield on every phase. These would basically be 2 separate mods stored in .ftl files. Either of which could be installed after every other CE module like Estel said. If you wanted to have a ton more combinations you could have a script that would create a new .ftl file for you each time you wanted by combining different pre-made files. You could just use that .ftl file to overwrite the one you already have in SMM mods and it wouldn't even affect the order. You could even keep the old one if you liked that flagship "seed" and wanted a rematch... ;)

So I'm thinking that you could have either a bunch of pre-made flagships that the script would just choose from, or you could have different files for layouts, weapons/equipment, events, etc... Which could be combined together. Changing each of these things separately wouldn't necessarily make the flagship more difficult hard or more easy, just different.

However, some bigger changes might affect the difficulty. Let's say you wanted to give the flagship the ability to cloak on phase 2 or even 3 rather than just phase 1. Obviously that makes the flagship "much" more difficult :evil:, so this would have to be counteracted by giving the flagship maybe slower firing speed, and/or nerfed mind control/hacking. Or you could give the flagship x1.2 firing speed on its weapons, but to offset this give it only 3 shields. Other things like giving the flagship boarding AI on phases 1 and/or 2 as well as 3 may have to correspond with greater crew numbers as well, except when a clone bay is present. There are lots of things to consider... :? However, this could turn out to be really awesome! I'm looking forward to it. :D
Last edited by Russian Rockman on Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
FortunaDraken
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:42 am

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.23/Inf 1.23/EL 1.23

Postby FortunaDraken » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:28 am

Gunna ask in this thread too in the hopes that someone can actually help me out. I can't Better Backgrounds working on my laptop at all, and it's the only mod that won't work. Everything else works just fine, so I have no idea what's causing it.
Russian Rockman
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:43 pm

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.23/Inf 1.23/EL 1.23

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:47 am

FortunaDraken wrote:Gunna ask in this thread too in the hopes that someone can actually help me out. I can't Better Backgrounds working on my laptop at all, and it's the only mod that won't work. Everything else works just fine, so I have no idea what's causing it.


I was in that boat too and couldn't figure out the problem at all. I would do what the Troubleshooting info says in the OP and try Better Planets and Backgrounds version 1.2.1. That's what I did and it worked for me. ;)

It doesn't have all the Hubble images 1.3.1 has, but I've actually learned to like 1.2.1 more now.
FortunaDraken
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:42 am

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.23/Inf 1.23/EL 1.23

Postby FortunaDraken » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:53 am

Done most of that, but I haven't tried 1.2.1 yet. I'll see if I can get that to work. Any version of it working would be fine by me, I just miss the shiny backgrounds and am tired of the vanilla ones |D;
User avatar
Sleeper Service
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.23/Inf 1.23/EL 1.23

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:53 am

I recommend you read through the troubleshooting section at the beginning of this thread...

A few people reported problems with version 1.3.1. of BPaB. But version 1.2.1 seems to work for everyone.

Have your tried if 1.2.1 works for you?

/Edit: Ha, Rockman beat me to it.

Russian Rockman wrote:So I'm thinking that you could have either a bunch of pre-made flagships that the script would just choose from, or you could have different files for layouts, weapons/equipment, events, etc... Which could be combined together. Changing each of these things separately wouldn't necessarily make the flagship more difficult hard or more easy, just different.

Yeah thats pretty much what I'd aim for as well.
FortunaDraken
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:42 am

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.23/Inf 1.23/EL 1.23

Postby FortunaDraken » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:04 am

Tried 1.2.1, doesn't work. I don't get any errors or anything, it just doesn't show up when the game loads. So far tried...

- 1.2.1 instead of the latest
- All files verified on Steam (which isn't running while I try to get this working in case it was the problem)
- Deleted back-up files

I'm only loading BB at the moment, with occasional trying to see if CE can make it co-operate. CE has loaded every time, BB hasn't. Re-downloading SMM at the moment.

EDIT: SMM redownload hasn't done anything. I think I'm going to have to go for a total reinstall, because I have no idea what's causing this.

EDIT 2: And total reinstall does nothing! I have no idea now ._. Why is this one thing being such a pain? Is there any other way I might be able to force install it?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests