FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.073

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:36 pm

Mr. Mister wrote:EDIT: you say calling backgrounds two times in a single event from lists with only one entry... what if the lists have duplicate entries or something similar?

Yeah got that fixed, but it was super hard to identify that as a crash cause.

Mr. Mister wrote:Ice fields should partially disable engines for both you and your enemy. Bad combustion or something.

Yeah, that is already what pollution zones do (another new thing in the industrial sector). I know that does not make much sense, but well, there is some Star Trek-esque explanation about hyper-steel micro particles that magnetize to your engines in the flavour text...
aaaaaa50

Postby aaaaaa50 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:40 pm

This is a weird idea, but maybe ice fields cost 2 fuel on each FTL jump? That would just take making all events take one fuel from you, right? Technobabble it as ice fields being super-dense fields of mostly H2O asteroids. Maybe some hull damage from jumping sometimes too.
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:45 pm

Yeah fuel penalty would be a possibility. There also was this black hole idea a while ago. The fuel penalty would probably be more logical there, for escaping the gravitational pull or whatever...
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:09 pm

Reasons to justify why ice fields disable a particular system, assuming there are a lot of very cold particles in the air:

Shields: it take more energy to bring the whatever shield bubbles are made of to their state, as they constantly lose energy to the cold.

Weapons: They lose charge or something.

Engines: Need more heat.

Teleporter: beam signal can't go through very low entropic material.

Cloak: You're the only source of black body radiation anyway.

Personally, my best idea is the following: apart from a set number of generator power bars (which would be redirected to increase heating), you could have special enemies for ice fields with internal (that is, invulnerable) sensors. In those event, your cloaking would be disabled for the above-mentioned reason (which is why their sensors must be invlunerable, since you can't just enable cloak if you disable their sensors). Additionally, if you have lv3 sensors you can disable the enemy's cloaking.

Yo, does the FTL jammer (vanilla aug) also work if used by an enemy? Because if it does, and if you just say that it's due to the ice field, you could be in a dangerous situation on a PDS event there. Sounds fun.
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:34 pm

Space is already cold. I don't see it being much colder if you add ice.
jep

Postby jep » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:00 am

Space isn't really cold. Or hot. Those things just don't really make much sense in space. Temperature is a property of matter, and there's (practically) no matter in a vacuum. So space isn't cold.

Objects in space have temperatures that are solely dependent on what sources of radiation they are receiving. If you're in a space near a star, you could be hot even floating in space. On the ISS, the metal facing the sun can get up to 260 C while the metal in shadow can cool down to -100 C.

So it all depends on the local environment. Our own asteroid belt ranges around -73 C to -108 C. In another system where it was further or that had a different type of star, it would be hotter or colder.

All of this is to say that being in an "ice field" or whatever wouldn't really affect what the temperature of your ship was. Main thing that would affect it is if any objects put you in the shade. Though if you ARE in an "ice field", that's because the amount of radiation reaching there is at least small enough to make it below 0 C.

But as someone else said, real asteroid belts are not in any way dense. We've sent plenty of probes cruising through with no problems. They say the odds of you getting hit are less than one in a billion.

Similiarly, nebulae aren't anything like they are typically depicted in scifi (including FTL). If you were in a nebula, you probably wouldn't really be able to tell.

But none of that is much fun. :D
abyssion425

Postby abyssion425 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:23 am

if possible, it would be great for the ice particles to act similarly to the crystal shards from the crystal revenge aug.
MightyKebab

Postby MightyKebab » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:34 pm

I'd like to point out that I've traced my issue. Corspses v 2.1 CE causes crash and missing background on planetary and fleet artillery events. You should probably put that up on the front page and notify the author about it.
ikeelyou300

Postby ikeelyou300 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:29 pm

I see a lot of people talking about the weird graphical glitch and crashes that usually occur during PDS events. I just wanted to say that on one computer I can run CE with Better Planets and Backgrounds, but on another it causes my game to crash completely just by hitting New Game. Yes, I'm well aware that Better Planets has to be loaded first. I just have no idea why these two mods together are making my game crash. Better Planets is supposed to be used with CE! Does anyone know why the heck that would be happening?
Axel6430

Postby Axel6430 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:20 pm

Just posting this to say that I'm OK with you using my mod's assets for your own mod, as long as you credit me. I already posted that in my own thread but since there has been no response I assume you didn't notice? Anyway, I'm pleased that you consider my work worthy of being part of your great mod! :D
Also you mentioned you would modify it a bit. What do you plan to do, add a pirate paintover?