[Ship] Terran Battlecruiser (Starcraft)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
UltraMantis

Re: [Ship] Terran Battlecruiser (Starcraft)

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:48 am

I have uploaded a temporary mirror to Wikisend. Maybe the author will provide a permanent mirror im the future.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Watcher

Postby Watcher » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:59 pm

Really fun to play, and provided that you have the right strategy in the beginning, and get shields early, you're gonna have a good time.
tokepoke

Postby tokepoke » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:45 pm

I did a final update, after figuring out more about modding weapons. Includes Burst Laser Batteries with art and sound from Starcraft. Also added yamato explosion art since I found out how to do it. The ship is a bit more difficult gameplay wise as lasers are 2 seconds slower to fire, no hull damage bonus or breach chance. Also reduced neosteel armor price to make it a bit harder to get shields by selling the augment (thanks to 5thhorseman's let's play video).

The only thing to be done would be to get the yamato cannon have a few second charge up animation and sound in the firing sequence right before firing, but AFAIK it's impossible to do just by editing the data files. If I'm wrong about this, I would greatly appreciate for someone to point that out.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:42 am

tokepoke wrote:I did a final update, after figuring out more about modding weapons. Includes Burst Laser Batteries with art and sound from Starcraft. Also added yamato explosion art since I found out how to do it. The ship is a bit more difficult gameplay wise as lasers are 2 seconds slower to fire, no hull damage bonus or breach chance. Also reduced neosteel armor price to make it a bit harder to get shields by selling the augment (thanks to 5thhorseman's let's play video).

The only thing to be done would be to get the yamato cannon have a few second charge up animation and sound in the firing sequence right before firing, but AFAIK it's impossible to do just by editing the data files. If I'm wrong about this, I would greatly appreciate for someone to point that out.

I think you can do the animation, but sound? I think the only sound played by a weapon is that being played the instant you fire.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:30 am

To the best of my knowledge it's not possible to alter the firing rate of weapons which limits what you can do with sound fx esp. charge up times.

There's some flexibility with BOMB type weapons as you can use two separate .wavs (1 for chargeup and 1 for the hit). Not to toot my own horn, but my own Magma Cannon works this way. You can hear it in action in this video: http://www.dailymotion.com/ThatBug#video=xy2edt
tokepoke

Postby tokepoke » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:38 pm

Yes! I just found out that I can do the animation with <delaychargeanim>, I didn't have a charge animation on the yamato cannon before. Tweaking the number of frames ATM to try to get a smooth animation. A bomb type weapon would not have a projectile, which is the most important visual aspect of the yamato cannon. Thanks for the support though.

Right now I have 27 frames for the weapon strip the last 4 being the firing animation and everything before is the charge-up, which is quite a lot. The animation is a bit buggy, and it seems it picks frame length as a multiple of a base time value, and scales that proportional to the entire charge time (in my case different power levels for the artillery). So there must be a "max frames" for the animation. Does somebody happen to know this value? I can probably find it out by myself through testing. It would be nice to find it out so that I could make each frame of my animation equally long.

EDIT:Nevermind, mimicking the original bomb weapons ratio of charge animation frames to the delaychargeanim value is way more straightforward.

EDIT EDIT: apparently the game can't animate smoothly any more than 4 frames of charging animation (frame no. 0: unpowered, frame no.5 powered) so the highest properly working value for <chargedFrame> is 5, which is a bit disappointing. Adding more frames to the charging animation makes the game lose frames gradually more and more. The game shows the previous frame in place of the lost frame resulting in a double length frame. I started testing with my original 21 frames of charging animation and lost 4 frames ingame, coming down to the eventual 4 frames of charging animation all original game assets use. :(

Well, I guess the mod can now be officially considered finished.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Oh sorry, i should have mentioned that animations are completely and utterly evil. :evil:
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:54 pm

tokepoke wrote:Yes! I just found out that I can do the animation with <delaychargeanim>, I didn't have a charge animation on the yamato cannon before. Tweaking the number of frames ATM to try to get a smooth animation. A bomb type weapon would not have a projectile, which is the most important visual aspect of the yamato cannon. Thanks for the support though.

Right now I have 27 frames for the weapon strip the last 4 being the firing animation and everything before is the charge-up, which is quite a lot. The animation is a bit buggy, and it seems it picks frame length as a multiple of a base time value, and scales that proportional to the entire charge time (in my case different power levels for the artillery). So there must be a "max frames" for the animation. Does somebody happen to know this value? I can probably find it out by myself through testing. It would be nice to find it out so that I could make each frame of my animation equally long.

EDIT:Nevermind, mimicking the original bomb weapons ratio of charge animation frames to the delaychargeanim value is way more straightforward.

EDIT EDIT: apparently the game can't animate smoothly any more than 4 frames of charging animation (frame no. 0: unpowered, frame no.5 powered) so the highest properly working value for <chargedFrame> is 5, which is a bit disappointing. Adding more frames to the charging animation makes the game lose frames gradually more and more. The game shows the previous frame in place of the lost frame resulting in a double length frame. I started testing with my original 21 frames of charging animation and lost 4 frames ingame, coming down to the eventual 4 frames of charging animation all original game assets use. :(

I believe you are mistaken. Are you editing animations.xml as well as the relevant images? I'm fairly certain Captain's Edition has charge animations longer than that.
tokepoke

Postby tokepoke » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:38 pm

dalolorn wrote:
tokepoke wrote:Yes! I just found out that I can do the animation with <delaychargeanim>, I didn't have a charge animation on the yamato cannon before. Tweaking the number of frames ATM to try to get a smooth animation. A bomb type weapon would not have a projectile, which is the most important visual aspect of the yamato cannon. Thanks for the support though.

I believe you are mistaken. Are you editing animations.xml as well as the relevant images? I'm fairly certain Captain's Edition has charge animations longer than that.

Yea, I edited both, multiple times. Whenever I forgot to edit the other one, I would notice because the pictures were offset caused by the change of image size and frame count each time. I Frapsed the animations and compared them to the sprites. That's when I first noticed frames missing. Then I started testing with frames that are just big white numbers and came to my result... Maybe I should take a look at Captain's Edition to see how it works.

EDIT: checked out the animation.xml in Captain's Edition, every <chargedFrame> value was at most 5. You might be thinking about the bomb weapons where in each the charge animation is combined with the shooting animation with <delaychargeanim> just like in the vanilla version. I could do that to get extra frames for the charging animation (4 frames technically charge animation, the rest as shooting animation before point of firing), but it would look inconsistent as the charge animation length is scaled to the cooldown (which varies with artillery), but the shooting animation length is fixed.
DestinyAtlantis

Postby DestinyAtlantis » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:31 pm

It can still be done like that, if you make it charge, charge, charge, charge, sudden visible energy building-up and firing (the last 2 being the firing animation), then only the charge, charge, etc. part will scale with the cooldown. It's just that you will have to choose which 4 frames go to the charging and which of the last go for the sudden energy building-up and firing.