Old modders

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Thunderr

Re: Old modders

Postby Thunderr » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:17 pm

5thHorseman wrote:For my stuff I put on Adfly, I put 2 links, one to Adfly and one to the direct download so people could chose. Roughly half chose to use Adfly which was just fine with me.

I always click adfly to support the devs. It's the nice thing to do!
Omen267901

Postby Omen267901 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:18 pm

I personally haven't used mods yet, (Still trying to unlock ships!) but I would like to possibly even get into making mods. I'm wondering when Overdrive will be out, because that will revolutionize modding. I've watched tons of videos of mods, and they all look amazing.
Thunderr

Postby Thunderr » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:57 pm

Omen267901 wrote:I personally haven't used mods yet, (Still trying to unlock ships!)

There are mods that let you save your profile settings (ship unlocks and achievements) for later, so you can always go back to them. I had the same thought, but once you dive into modding, you don't look back.
Omen267901 wrote:I would like to possibly even get into making mods.

Ship modding is relatively easy with an editor, you just need to have the graphics. Weapon modding is another story entirely.
Omen267901 wrote:I've watched tons of videos of mods, and they all look amazing.

They are! It's amazing what people can do.
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:04 pm

I tell u, FTL is really easy to mod. If u ever going to start modding at some point, this game is a really good choice to start.

Weapons modding are not hard, once u know how everything works, its really easy to mod weapons, ships and graphics. The only thing harder are the events, since they are really tricky and sometimes a missing character can make your life a hell. And once u have a really big events file, its really annoying and frustrating to try to navigate along the entire file just searching for wat u want.

About unlocking ships.. lol, i think almost everyone that entered the mod community has unlocked all the ships. That is a MUST if u going to install almost any mod. I mean, they just used a saved game editor to do it. If u going to try at some point any mod, u should do that, since unlocking all the ships is really really hard, and maybe by the time u do that, the modding community is already extincted LOL.

Its too bad, since one of the greatest failures of FTL is not to be allowed to ADD new ships, so people who just entered the modding world automatically used the save game editor to unlock all the ships, since they will need to do that in order to install almost any mod.
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
Omen267901

Postby Omen267901 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:59 pm

speedoflight wrote: I tell u, FTL is really easy to mod. If u ever going to start modding at some point, this game is a really good choice to start.

It seems pretty easy. (Outside of weapons and events, (Maybe drones?) because I've got no idea how those files work. :/.)

speedoflight wrote: Its too bad, since one of the greatest failures of FTL is not to be allowed to ADD new ships, so people who just entered the modding world automatically used the save game editor to unlock all the ships, since they will need to do that in order to install almost any mod.

Yeah, I agree. Hopefully when Overdrive comes out it will make it possible to do stuff like add new ships.
Thunderr

Postby Thunderr » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:27 pm

Omen267901 wrote:Yeah, I agree. Hopefully when Overdrive comes out it will make it possible to do stuff like add new ships.

I heard Overdrive was getting shelved for a while. I wouldn't count on that coming out soon- if ever.
Omen267901

Postby Omen267901 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:44 pm

Thunderr wrote:I heard Overdrive was getting shelved for a while. I wouldn't count on that coming out soon- if ever.

It's possible, but here is a post from the thread:

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL: Overdrive
by DiEvAl » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:29 pm

I finally fixed a bug in myself that made me think that building a base on Laythe is more fun than programming. Back to working on FTL:OD
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 pm

Thunderr wrote:
Omen267901 wrote:Yeah, I agree. Hopefully when Overdrive comes out it will make it possible to do stuff like add new ships.

I heard Overdrive was getting shelved for a while. I wouldn't count on that coming out soon- if ever.

Nobody was expeting overdrive project to be out soon, it is a long-range aside project, but we will need to wait maybe months to have a working beta i guess. I was expecting it maybe in a few months , if not, i guess it will be abandoned, and sadly a lot of people will defnitely lost interest on FTL modding since all the possible stuff is already modded and sadly, FTL lacks so much on modding capabilities that will be almost dumb to keep modding for it once u have explored all the possibilites two or three times.
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage