[SHIP][AE] The Potential - UPDATED 2015/08/16

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
5thHorseman

Re: [SHIP][AE] The Potential - UPDATED FOR AE!

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:44 am

I wouldn't suggest trying to edit it in SL. There are a lot of non-ship things in the ftl file that SL throws away.

But, if you unpack the FTL file and edit data\blueprints.xml.append, find this line:

Code: Select all

<sensors power="1" room="3" start="false" img="room_sensors_2.wc____">

And change that "false" to "true" like so:

<sensors power="1" room="3" start="true" img="room_sensors_2.wc____">

Then repack everything exactly the way it was and mod it in. I think the new modulemanager can even just load the directory you unpacked the ftl into.

I'm not sure if you can have it to start AND have power 0. It may cause issues. But starting with 1 will (obviously) be no problem.

I don't know why they're so rare for you. I know I've bought it before (I like having scanners) but I've not played the new version much except to make sure it doesn't crash. I'm still in the stock-ships-only phase of AE for my own personal play.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Flypaste

Postby Flypaste » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:58 am

Can the Potential mount an artillery weapon if CE is installed?
derek1092766286

Postby derek1092766286 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:38 am

Could it be possible for you to quickly put in a fourth weapon slot? I don't really care if it's even in a good location; I just really want to have a potential with 4 weapons slots. The main reason I want this isn't to have an OP run either, I was just trying to make a build with some weapons that used one and two power weapons but since I only had 3 weapon slots I couldn't do it. But, yeah, I think you know what I mean, and I (probably a lot of other people, too) would really appreciate it if you could do this, and maybe do something to make it more balanced if you add a fourth weapon, like only 10 weapons power or something.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:05 pm

Y'know, if you don't like how the ship is made, you can always modify it yourself. That's how I learned to mod FTL. I didn't like the fact the Rebel fleet was more dangerous in Captain's Edition, so I made it a non-issue by modifying the pursuit.

Also, I think the max power a weapon can take up is 4 bars. Any more and the game crashes if I recall correctly.

Check the blueprints.xml document in the .ftl file, search for the Potential's blueprint and look for something like this:

<weaponSlots>3</weaponSlots>

Change the 3 to a 4 and you've got a 4th weapon slot. Don't make it 5 though unless you plan on keeping your finger off Auto-Fire or you're going to fill up those extra slots with beams.
derek1092766286

Postby derek1092766286 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:59 pm

stylesrj wrote:Y'know, if you don't like how the ship is made, you can always modify it yourself. That's how I learned to mod FTL. I didn't like the fact the Rebel fleet was more dangerous in Captain's Edition, so I made it a non-issue by modifying the pursuit.

Also, I think the max power a weapon can take up is 4 bars. Any more and the game crashes if I recall correctly.

Check the blueprints.xml document in the .ftl file, search for the Potential's blueprint and look for something like this:

<weaponSlots>3</weaponSlots>

Change the 3 to a 4 and you've got a 4th weapon slot. Don't make it 5 though unless you plan on keeping your finger off Auto-Fire or you're going to fill up those extra slots with beams.

Thanks for the help, and I never use Auto-Fire anyway. Also, how do I get into the .ftl file? Do I need to download a program to decompile it or access it?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:19 pm

.ftl is essentially an archive file. So WinRAR will do the trick or anything that can access archives. I'm not sure if the standard WinZip will do it, but I've never tried since I always put WinRAR on my computer.

blueprints.xml should be located under "data"
derek1092766286

Postby derek1092766286 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:16 am

stylesrj wrote:.ftl is essentially an archive file. So WinRAR will do the trick or anything that can access archives. I'm not sure if the standard WinZip will do it, but I've never tried since I always put WinRAR on my computer.

blueprints.xml should be located under "data"

for some reason I am not allowed to PM, so I will talk though here.
Wouldn't I have to go into Potential.xml and make a new weapon mount too? or will it just make an invisible weapon? Also, I am not allowed to change anything in the .xml files, what do I have to do before I can do that?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:58 am

You're allowed to modify someone's else mod but if you plan on distributing it to others, you must give the mod-maker credit. I like to modify Captain's Edition to suit my needs a lot for example. Modify power bar blueprints, fleet pursuit delays, etc.

Also, to change .xml files, use Notepad++ or other word processors.

I'm going to be one of those lazy people who say "Go check the other topics for modding guides. There's plenty of them out there for you" because honestly I can't remember which ones.

Take heart though that once you know how to mod the game, questions are more about "what can be done" rather than "how can it be done?"
derek1092766286

Postby derek1092766286 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:16 am

stylesrj wrote:You're allowed to modify someone's else mod but if you plan on distributing it to others, you must give the mod-maker credit. I like to modify Captain's Edition to suit my needs a lot for example. Modify power bar blueprints, fleet pursuit delays, etc.

Also, to change .xml files, use Notepad++ or other word processors.

I'm going to be one of those lazy people who say "Go check the other topics for modding guides. There's plenty of them out there for you" because honestly I can't remember which ones.

Take heart though that once you know how to mod the game, questions are more about "what can be done" rather than "how can it be done?"

thanks for the help, I can understand what's going on in the coding, all I needed to know was how to get there and how to edit it. So maybe one day if I get to it I'll make a mod.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:34 pm

Sorry for not replying sooner, The first 2 months of the year are the busiest in my job and I'm also hammering out YouTube videos like a crazy man.

I don't really have the time to edit the mod, but don't worry one bit about me being mad at you or anything for editing it. It's out there to be played with. Go for it :)

.ftl files are just .zip files You can either open them with your favorite zip program or unzip them into their folders and then have at the files.

One huge problem (and why I won't do this for you): You can't just open the ship in SuperLuminal and edit it because you'll lose all the non-ship stuff. You have to either edit all that stuff back in or edit the files manually. I honestly don't remember how to add a weapon manually, I've only done it once and it was well over a year ago, and I hated it :D
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."