[SHIP][AE] The Potential - UPDATED 2015/08/16

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
5thHorseman

Re: [SHIP][AE] The Potential - UPDATED FOR AE!

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:28 am

No offense taken. I didn't make the ship (so the glow is not my fault :D), and the cloak was just to be different. The thing I like about it most is that, if you have 3 weapons, 3 of the little ships appear to be armed with big guns.

That said, I always thought I'd remove it, as it does tend to get in the way and busy up the screen. I've been considering doing a Potential run, maybe I'll throw your versions in the mix and see how they fly.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:02 pm

I took the liberty to attempt removing the glow from the ship sprite, and record myself while doing it so that you guys can see a method for doing it! This is the video and here is the sprite.
For some reason the existing glow had some weird colours in it, so i applied a new one. o_o

There were still a couple of things i would've liked to modify but i don't have time at the moment.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:37 pm

TaxiService wrote:For some reason the existing glow had some weird colours in it, so i applied a new one. o_o

Yeah, SOME reason. Totally not my fault.
In any way.
Whatsoever.

I knew you would come over here and make something better that mine...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:17 pm

It's probably not even your fault! It didn't look wrong until i tried to take a sample of it. Those weird colours were mostly around the edge of the glow, so I guess it might just the way pixlr handles transparencies. :shock:

A-and sorry yo!! :P I wanted to show you guys a way to remove those kind of glows. XD Posting the ship was just a consequence of working on it in the video!! I mean, it would've been weird not to post it! :| Like "hey why are you keeping it to yourself, taxi!?" :o

I should probably write a text version with some images though.
...or not. I mean, we could just say "remove the glow before splicing a ship" somewhere. :|
ImageImageImageImageImage
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:57 pm

TaxiService wrote:It's probably not even your fault!

Yeah it is, I'm way too lazy to learn how to use something that actually works like GIMP.

TaxiService wrote:A-and sorry yo!! :P I wanted to show you guys a way to remove those kind of glows.

You're too good! It's impossible to keep up!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:13 am

You're BOTH good. :D I'll use Taxi's hull and Vortex's cloak.

...when I fix the fact that the Potential is essentially a death trap in Hard Mode unless the game gifts you several guns in the first sector.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:35 am

Well, I decided to make a run with this ship (finally!) and I have to say, I love overcharged reactor ships.

http://youtu.be/vSX2NknGtK4

I had many close shaves in the early sectors, but once you get a decent gun (i.e., any) then you can get the devastation ball rolling.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:41 am

The Potential has been updated, to fix some niggling problems, incorporate the new hull and cloak graphics, and make it possible to win on Hard.

Note: The changes make the ship ridiculously easy to win on Easy, and pretty easy to win on Normal. I prefer Hard mode so I balanced the ship for that.

Check out the first post for specifics.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

stylesrj

Re: [SHIP][AE] The Potential - UPDATED 2015/08/16

Postby stylesrj » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:12 am

Well the addition of the Mini Beam does make it a little easier. I just went on a Normal run and well, I thought I wouldn't make it past Sector 1. Shields got bombarded a lot, boarders always entered Weapons (so I had to initiate Emergency Vent Protocol 23 a lot) and well everything was a total fustercluck.

But I pulled through, even with most of my Scrap going to repairs to that hull. Fought the Flagship with the Dual laser, Mini Beam and Flak I. Slow and steady won the race. Especially when the slow had a teleporter and two Mantis warriors.

And a Cloaking Device. But nothing else special like Drones or Hacking or Mind Control so each phase of the Flagship had their crew still onboard. I don't know how I made it, but I did and with minimal damage too.

Had fun, would try again but on CE Normal or something.
R4V3-0N

Re: [SHIP][AE] The Potential - UPDATED 2015/08/16

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:32 am

Hello 5thHorseman.

I wanted to ask if you would be alright if I made the type B for the potential... I always thought of taking this ship to the complete other end of the spectrum. Still making it a 'potential' but not in terms of reactor power (I can also think of some ways how to take on a type C...), I know I do not really need to ask for permission for this as the hull isn't your work. [it's jefftheboardingdrones hull which was released for everyone] and there is no unique assets in the mod that I would need however I am still following the same line of idea as this ship as well as me producing a type B/ C for it.
(also wondering if I should link it here and then you update the OP if you like the ship designs, or should I simply make a new thread)

Also I want to say now is that 'The pyro' you made way back in May 2013 was one of the first modded ships I have downloaded and by far the funnest one I still have ingrained in my memory also known as nostalgia - wanted to say that I did really enjoy that ship and such and in a way was my gate way into the forums. Thank you. (didn't want to necro that thread)
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.