[Ship] The Falcon

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Thunderr

[Ship] The Falcon

Postby Thunderr » Tue May 28, 2013 12:25 am

The Falcon is a high class Federation ship designed for speeding through enemy lines in a barrel roll. Designed by the Federation's best engineers, this ship uses state of the art engine technology, but is relatively low on other systems. It comes with an Artemis missile and Dual Lasers that take a while to charge, but when they do, they pack quite a punch.

Ship Details:
Crew- Three Humans
Systems- Level Four Engines, Level Two Weapons, Level Two Cameras, Level Two Piloting, Other Systems.
Weapons- Dual Lasers and Artemis Missile.
Augments- FTL Recharge Booster.

Feel free to make videos of my mod, and if you do, I'll post it to this thread! It has gone through minimal playtesting, so it might still need some rebalancing as of yet.

Download Hosted by Dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j6hf1ku5r2sp2a0/Yt1E9IPYSC
Last edited by Thunderr on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ora_unit_SR388

Re: [Ship] The Falcon

Postby Ora_unit_SR388 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:53 am

Not a bad ship. I will playtest! :D
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue May 28, 2013 10:15 am

I like the idea of a ship that has a mainly speed based play-style. But right now it looks a little bit like the falcon is first of all just a stealth cruiser without stealth but shields. Some suggestions, of course only according to my personal taste: One or two more engine bars and no initial door system could set it apart further. Maybe also additional/different augs. One possibility would be a weaker, laser based starting load-out with a weapon pre-igniter.

I think the design is great and really matches the vanilla Fed style. The transition from the central hull to the middle engines could need some works though, to look more smooth. You could splice that part from the Fed bomber.

Overall I quite like the play-style and design ideas you put together here. Did you do gibs and cloak image as well?
Thunderr

Postby Thunderr » Tue May 28, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback!
Sleeper Service wrote:I like the idea of a ship that has a mainly speed based play-style.

Thanks! That's what I was going for.
Sleeper Service wrote:One or two more engine bars and no initial door system could set it apart further. Maybe also additional/different augs.

No door system to start is really tough, there's very little fire protection and boarders bust through them like butter.
Sleeper Service wrote:Maybe also additional/different augs. One possibility would be a weaker, laser based starting load-out with a weapon pre-igniter.

I like keeping the augs minimal in case you encounter anything along the expedition.
Sleeper Service wrote:I think the design is great and really matches the vanilla Fed style. The transition from the central hull to the middle engines could need some works though, to look more smooth. You could splice that part from the Fed bomber.

I know what you mean. That part is in fact from the bomber.
Sleeper Service wrote:Did you do gibs and cloak image as well?

Yeah, but gibs are a little glitchy though since there are six. ;) For the cloak I just put a whole bunch of filters on the image in GIMP. It's not like the vanilla cloaks, but I like the end result. (Since I posted it in working mods, I would expect it has cloak and gibs.)
By the way, I use your new enemy classes mod all the time. Very well done!
Thunderr

Postby Thunderr » Tue May 28, 2013 9:49 pm

Ora_unit_SR388 wrote:Not a bad ship. I will playtest! :D

Thanks! If you need another, try my other ship, The Raven. http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15517
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed May 29, 2013 9:31 am

I'm glad you enjoy my mod as well. How do the glitch? If you ever want to make vanilla-ish cloak images at some point, that is quite doable with GIMP. In case anybody is wondering how:

-You can use colour select to select all the black outlines of the ship. Then invert select and delete the rest.
-Now you can recolour the outlines with the usual cloak outline colour, which you can get form exiting cloak images.
-From there you also can get the colour of the glow of the cloak image. Gimps "drop shadow" filter in the lights section with x/y set to zero can produce I nice even glow. If used three times in a row the cloak glows and looks almost exactly like vanilla cloak images.
-Don't forget to resize the canvas, as cloak images always have to be 10 pixel larger in every direction then their base image (a 100X100 base image needs a 120x120 cloak image for example).
Thunderr

Postby Thunderr » Wed May 29, 2013 11:50 am

Sleeper Service wrote:If you ever want to make vanilla-ish cloak images at some point, that is quite doable with GIMP.

Thanks, although I think I like the cloak as it is for this ship.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed May 29, 2013 12:58 pm

Yeah actually looks really great!
(I must have developed some kind of vanilla-design fetish... :? )
Thunderr

Postby Thunderr » Wed May 29, 2013 8:29 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:(I must have developed some kind of vanilla-design fetish... :? )

Haha, I know what you mean. In some games, it's meant to keep mods similar to how the developers made it.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:59 pm

Bug: In blueprints.xml.append, you've got an absolute path.

Code: Select all

<shieldImage>C:\Users\Benjamin\Desktop\FTL Mod Stuffs\FTL\img\ship\fed_cruiser_shields1.png</shieldImage>

I think that's supposed to be

Code: Select all

<shieldImage>fed_cruiser</shieldImage>