[MOD] Descent into Darkness - a major game overhaul

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
R4V3-0N

Re: [MOD] Descent into Darkness - a major game overhaul

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:08 pm

DryEagle wrote:
dalolorn wrote:
MantisGeneral7 wrote:Its A Shame that dryEagle leaved He was 1st MOD Creator And My Hero :(
Who is this "dryEagle" you speak of? :roll:
just someone who decided not to make any more mods because the community was really not active and he couldn't find anyone to animate his last really awesome idea :cry:

What? DryEagle you're alive? Awesome!

Hi I am a wanna be Modder and I always looked up to your mods for inspiration and ideas, especially some from Descent into Darkness, I hope 1 day you continue modding some day and hi.

Okay trying to get back on topic, Is the Ai Ship auto repair on the player ship in DiD intentional or not?
Looked through the threads quickly before and didn't find an answer
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
DestinyAtlantis

Postby DestinyAtlantis » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:29 pm

Auto-ship/AI=doesn't lose when no crew members (by death or otherwise), crew stations work as if manned (when not manned or manned by a crew member) (shields, engines, weapons, pilots), sub-systems auto-repair themselves at a slow rate.
Non-Auto-ship/Non-AI=loses when no crew members (by death or otherwise), crew stations work as if not manned (when not manned by a crew member), and work as manned when manned by a crew member, sub-sysems don't auto-repair themselves.
Also AI ships can have crew, but preferably with oxygen sub-system, else you constantly have to move them between medbay and wherever you want them to be, or unless they are ghosts, crystals and/or Nano-bots Aug.
Feel free to add things i forgot to mention.
S_Hawk

Postby S_Hawk » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Nice job, this mod is awesome.... but i would have enjoyed more if i hadn't lose so stupidly (defeated by a zoldan shield), next time i have to make sure to have a way to damage those shields (my setup was a fire bomb, the sonic beam, a boarding team and a boarding drone hahahahahaha). Btw is there a way to recruit people? (outside of the auto-join), everytime i tried to buy someone it sais "full party"
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:13 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:Okay trying to get back on topic, Is the Ai Ship auto repair on the player ship in DiD intentional or not?
It's fairly intentional; after all, you're flying a high-end luxury ship, it follows that it would have that kind of functionality. Though really, I did it so that I could force the name of the ship's captain just like the starting crew. An odd choice perhaps, but that's what I went with. There may have been a way to do that without causing the ship to be AI-type, but it would have been more complicated (I actually only now even thought of a potential way how I might have done that, now you mentioned it) and it works out fine as it is in my opinion, especially given that you will probably have less crew than usual since you can't buy them.

Which addresses this question:
S_Hawk wrote:Btw is there a way to recruit people? (outside of the auto-join), everytime i tried to buy someone it sais "full party"
You should be able to earn people through events (including fighting slaver ships); just can't buy them from shops.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:57 pm

I see what you're doing :)

I did the exact same thing on one of my (well 1 of the only mods I uploaded yet) ships, but my inexperience of modding means I do not know how to add crew later.

I gived up for that specific ship because that what makes it kind of special and harder.

You said earlier you stopped modding because there Is not as many people giving hull images out.
If someone now supplies you hulls and such, will you continue modding? :?:

A lot of people miss your mods. There pretty unique and to a high quality.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
TheAchmed13

Postby TheAchmed13 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:37 am

okay, heres the deal, I'm having trouble playing this mod, I run slipstream mod manager 1.4 and the mods that came with it work great, but Descent into Darkness and anyother mod I've put on don't work. I checkmark Descent, click patch and run ftl, but when it loads, it is normal, unmodified ftl? could you give me some insight on the problem?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:41 am

@TheAchmed13
Do you have any other installations of FTL on your PC? You might want to check in SMM, File > Preferences... > Path to FTL resources and see that it points to the correct FTL installation.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
TheAchmed13

Postby TheAchmed13 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:48 pm

kartoFlane wrote:@TheAchmed13
Do you have any other installations of FTL on your PC? You might want to check in SMM, File > Preferences... > Path to FTL resources and see that it points to the correct FTL installation.

I only own one copy, I bought it through steam on a whim...now that I think about it though, I did grab a data.dat to stop the rebel advancement through the systems...I'm going to double-check something.
TheAchmed13

Postby TheAchmed13 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:09 pm

TheAchmed13 wrote:
kartoFlane wrote:@TheAchmed13

I only own one copy, I bought it through steam on a whim...now that I think about it though, I did grab a data.dat to stop the rebel advancement through the systems...I'm going to double-check something.

Okay, that didn't work. I pulled the modified data.dat and redownloaded ftl, it still doesn't work.
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:09 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:You said earlier you stopped modding because there Is not as many people giving hull images out.
If someone now supplies you hulls and such, will you continue modding?

A lot of people miss your mods. There pretty unique and to a high quality.

The thing is, it's not just purely about not having a reliable artist to work with.
There are other factors.

For a mod to be worthwhile (in my eyes) it needs to do something new, which hasn't been done yet. Because otherwise you're wasting your time repeating what someone else has already made.
That's why my mods were popular, because they did things people didn't do before. Because they pushed the boundaries.

Personally, I don't think there's much left to do with this game, I've moved onto other things. It's as simple as that.
Small-scale stuff just feels pointless to me now because everything possible with minor tweaks has already been played out and rehashed over and over.

Yes there are definitely other possibilities for mods but they would require such a huge amount of work that I can't commit that kind of time, and I would need other people to join in too.
I tried to get one such project going last summer but then a whole bunch of RL stuff meant I couldn't give it the time it needed (and I'm very sorry I wasted others' time on it too, especially Alvarin), and I won't have such time available anytime soon either.

If you want to make some mods of your own, join us on quakenet irc in #ftlgame, I'm there anytime my computer is on and am plenty happy to discuss ideas, give info, etc etc.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage