[MOD] Descent into Darkness - a major game overhaul

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
R4V3-0N

Re: [MOD] Descent into Darkness - a major game overhaul

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:23 pm

Yea, I am a newbie modder, and I am making mods similar to yours, in terms of originality.

2 that I put up so far...

No (starting shield, shield also costs 250) shield, Defense drone relied Engi ship. (it may not be to original ,but it's different playstyle all together, still doing balance tweaks)

And another ship that has no shields or weapons at all in game, relying on it's Artillery and Drones to do the job.

They may not even be a quarter as great as your mods. But it's still something to start.
I do have a creative mind and I am original in some fields.
I am planning on making a 'flame thower" weapon and a "Continues beam" weapon (need more beam research, but it will be balanced if not, under powered slightly to vanilla beams)

Will you be back to modding once FTL: Overdrive is done? It pretty much opens up more possibilities for modders (from my understanding, it removes all that hardcoded rubbish or most of it).
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:22 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:Yea, I am a newbie modder, and I am making mods similar to yours, in terms of originality.

2 that I put up so far...

No (starting shield, shield also costs 250) shield, Defense drone relied Engi ship. (it may not be to original ,but it's different playstyle all together, still doing balance tweaks)

And another ship that has no shields or weapons at all in game, relying on it's Artillery and Drones to do the job.

They may not even be a quarter as great as your mods. But it's still something to start.
I do have a creative mind and I am original in some fields.
I am planning on making a 'flame thower" weapon and a "Continues beam" weapon (need more beam research, but it will be balanced if not, under powered slightly to vanilla beams)

Will you be back to modding once FTL: Overdrive is done? It pretty much opens up more possibilities for modders (from my understanding, it removes all that hardcoded rubbish or most of it).

I'm not sure what you mean by 'flame thrower', but a continuous beam weapon is TECHNICALLY impossible in FTL.

However, you could make a beam whose firing cycle is as long as its recharge - I believe that and auto-fire would achieve an effect similar to what you want.
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:19 am

dalolorn wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by 'flame thrower', but a continuous beam weapon is TECHNICALLY impossible in FTL.

However, you could make a beam whose firing cycle is as long as its recharge - I believe that and auto-fire would achieve an effect similar to what you want.

This smells of OP. Or at least make it cost 4 power, do 1 damage, and recommended to be played only in insane difficulty mods :D
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:19 am

The continues beam idea was taken at the fact that rapid fire/ continues fire in FTL is OP no matter what.
And also 1 weapon in Captains edition.

I want to see if it is possible (my knowledge on beams is slim) but if it is possible to change the time it takes the beam to move across the ship, I would have a medium/ long length beam that does 1 damage (no shield piercing capabilities) and as soon as it takes it time to finish shooting you can fire it again, I am still fooling around with the idea but if it is possible, I will try to do it.

The Flamethrower, is undecided how it'll function, I am still fooling around to see how to make it possible, so far I got 2 options = 1 make it a beam and replace the beam with flame-thrower effects and visuals, or B make it a 'pulse' flame thrower (laser) that fires small trails of flames instead of a stream.

I am still fooling around with these ideas but the continues beam is visualised to not be over powered and it's draw back will be the long time it takes to fire across it's line, it will have medium to high power requirements, you will require weapons to make sure the enemy shields are down otherwise you are just wasting your time.

As I said I like to think outside the box, my visions may be not workable but it's worth a shot, you think the plane from the Wright Flyer (first functional plane in history) can cross the Atlantic ocean?

We have to start somewhere with new ideas.

It may be over powered, it may be under powered due to how long it takes to go from point A to point B and possibly any weapon in ftl can do more damage per second.

The idea is that it may be continuously fire, but you need constant suppression of the enemy shields, if the shield is taken down by non ion or system damaging ways, eg firing a laser at it only to take down the shield temporarily while it charges up, then weapons like the Mini beam or halberd beam will easily do more damage then the continues beam.

NOTE: this is technically that um... industrial beam is it? in CE but higher energy cost for 'faster' fire rate.

Edit: this is WAY of topic by the way, lets try not change the topic again :roll:
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
TheEngiBoarder

Postby TheEngiBoarder » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:43 am

alright what would be cool is if each ship slot had its own type of look and a new story for each so a zoltan slot would have a zoltan look to it and comes with new available upragdes for begin :D
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:50 am

TheEngiBoarder wrote:alright what would be cool is if each ship slot had its own type of look and a new story for each so a zoltan slot would have a zoltan look to it and comes with new available upragdes for begin :D

So you're saying that Dry should make Descent into Darkness back into vanilla FTL, but with upgrades at the beginning?
theDoomBox

Postby theDoomBox » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:53 am

English Narwhal wrote:
TheEngiBoarder wrote:alright what would be cool is if each ship slot had its own type of look and a new story for each so a zoltan slot would have a zoltan look to it and comes with new available upragdes for begin :D

So you're saying that Dry should make Descent into Darkness back into vanilla FTL, but with upgrades at the beginning?

No need to be sarcastic, even if the suggestion was a bit questionable.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:06 am

Hello,

Just glanced over your mod and decided to feature it in my LP series.
Just checking if that's alright with you and if there's anything special you'd like me to have a look at or mention.
Other then off course giving credit and giving a link to the mod itself.

Grtz,
Biohazard063
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:08 pm

theDoomBox wrote:
English Narwhal wrote:

No need to be sarcastic, even if the suggestion was a bit questionable.

Sarcasm is fun.
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:09 pm

Biohazard063 wrote:Hello,

Just glanced over your mod and decided to feature it in my LP series.
Just checking if that's alright with you and if there's anything special you'd like me to have a look at or mention.
Other then off course giving credit and giving a link to the mod itself.

Grtz,
Biohazard063

drop a link, i'll add it to the others
edit- nvm, found it myself ;)
also found like 6 other videos, at least you had the decency to let me know :D
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage